julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  09:55:03 AM  Show Profile
I don't know farmgirl sisters but when I start my day with home made steel cut oats oatmeal/porridge, I am just a happy happy camper! I cook them following the directions on the package. This morning I added raisins and dried cranberries before all the liquid was absorbed so they'd plump up. Just a sprinkle of maple syrup and a little milk when it is all ready to go. WOW! I'm giddy.

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Try putting it in the crock pot on keep warm setting when you go to bed. Absolutely fantastic!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:42:15 AM  Show Profile
I love the cranberries in the oatmeal, and slices of oranges. So good.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:19:56 PM  Show Profile
We are big oatmeal fans here. One of the current favorites is throwing in some blueberries and topping with a bit of cream. Yum! We picked 50 pounds of blueberries this summer and they are almost gone now so we only have this treat once a week.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
My favorite way to start the day as well. I agree with the dried cranberries too! Also the cream....yum.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  7:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Steel cut oats is a great way to start the day. Raisins, dried cranberries and maple syrup...yum! I sometimes simmer a bit of minced apple, cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg in my steel cut oats.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  02:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Oernight steel cut oats

Serves 2-3

2 cups water

1 cup whole milk

1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal

1 pinch salt

1/4 cup almond butter

2-3 tablespoons flavourful honey

In a 4-cup glass measuring jug, stir together the water, milk, steel-cut oatmeal and salt. Place in a large slow-cooker, add enough cold water to come halfway up the side of the jug (less is fine, because there's so little evaporation with a slow-cooker), switch on "low" and go to bed.

In the morning, stir in the almond butter and honey. There will be a tablespoon's worth of grain clumped together at the bottom of the glass jug; it is fully cooked, though, and needs only to be mixed in. Serve. You'll have a halo of warmth around you for the rest of the morning.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  10:22:35 AM  Show Profile
We just tried Steel Cut Oats for the first time, oh my! We added maple cream and dried blueberries.
It is now a new favorite in our home.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  11:14:49 AM  Show Profile
We had our oatmeal for brunch today and try to have it at least 3 times a week. Love dried cranberries and honey or maple syrup on mine.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmm. I love steel cut oats oatmeal and will now have some for breakfast tomorrow. We always eat it with maple syrup but tomorrow will also throw in some dried cranberries. Yum!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  8:42:09 PM  Show Profile
I just made some apple cinnamon steel cut oatmeal in the slowcooker for tomorrow! (from http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2011/03/159/Overnight,+Slow+Cooker,+Apple+Cinnamon+Steel-Cut+Oatmeal) Can't wait to try it/see how it turns out!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:06:05 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the overnight steel-cut oats to serve at my Mom's group at church next Thursday. It will be a healthy alternative to all the egg & sausage casseroles we've been having lately.

www.lovegivenaway.blogspot.com

www.sewjamie.etsy.com

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  3:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE Oatmeal! I have been making the "Breakfast Porridge" recipe from the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook by Sally Fallon. It does require that the oats be soaked overnight, but I have gotten myself in the habit now, so it is not really a big deal. What I like about this recipe is there are so many wonderful variations she lists, that I never tire of it!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Edited by - MEWolf on Jan 13 2012 3:36:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  3:51:52 PM  Show Profile
OK, I know what I am making for breakfast in the a.m.!!! You all are making me hungry. We have always rolled our oats fresh on a steel roller and I have never cut them instead. I think we are going to try that! And the crockpot recipe is wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  4:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We REALLY LIKE the crockpot version with dried cranberries and/or raisins, chopped walnuts, diced apple, cinnamon . . . makes enough for several breakfasts. It's great for me on the days I work because it's ready and it HEARTY (I work as a caregiver for a totally disabled adult female with a traumatic brain injury). BUT, I've been known to have some for lunch too!
It's GRRREEEAAATTT!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  10:39:17 AM  Show Profile
I made a crockpot full of oatmeal last week for my mom's group at church. All though everyone had some (and loved it!) I came home with half the crockpot full. We wound up having oatmeal for several days after that!

It got me thinking, does anyone have any recipes that uses cooked oatmeal?

www.lovegivenaway.blogspot.com

www.sewjamie.etsy.com

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Oatmeal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page