Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are you Shy or Outgoing ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you Shy or Outgoing ... Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile
... when it comes to meeting new friends?

(I'm one of the Outgoings). I'll start a conversation with someone just about anywhere! Tell us a story of meeting a new friend somewhere unexpected.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  6:47:40 PM  Show Profile
When I was younger, I was extraordinarily shy. I would hide behind my mom, avoiding anyone who wanted to talk to me. At Christmas, my parents always had a huge open house. I would hide under an afghan in the borning room, listening to everyone having such a happy time, reading a book and then I would fall sound asleep there! I was fine as long as I did not have to talk to any of them.
It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I finally broke out of my shell and felt comfortable talking to people at the spur of the moment. Now, you can't stop me! I have 38 years to make up for!
You know, I haven't thought about that for a really long time. Thanks, Frannie. You've helped me to see just how far I've come!!

Karin

Karin
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  7:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Hmm I use to be pretty outgoing, into drama and renn fairs, I loved making people laugh. I'm now pretty much an introvert when it comes to face to face meetings. It takes me awhile to open up. I went through a traumatic experience in '97 that really changed me. I miss my old self...but I have hope that it will come back out! One baby step at a time!

Cyn

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I think I am outgoing my family when I was a kid thought I was an introvert. As I was always making something so people thought I was stand-offish at family functions. I just like making stuff. I have no problem speaking my mind and getting my opionion out there ( gets me in trouble but that to passes). I think I have more acquantiances than friends at the moment because in the last 13 years I have moved 6 times hard to keep relations when you move so much. But I am not shy I think my husband is less shy than me he is real out going.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 25 2006 09:04:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Yes, as a child I was shy. Didn't want to stand out, hated to have to speak in school, but it wasn't until I went to work at a pre-trial detention center for men that I learned not to be shy. Now, I don't meet a stranger, speak to everyone, smile and speak my mind! And yes, like you sunshine, sometimes it get's me in trouble. But it does pass! I'm very out spoken now! And like to talk to others!

love, hugs, and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:08:51 PM  Show Profile
I am not shy, but I hate being the center of attention. I tend to always find someone to talk to..and I will talk your leg off..but I don't like to be up in front of people or have everyone looking at me. I have met wonderful people by being outgoing.
My husband is VERY outgoing. I seem quiet compared to him!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile
I think I'm probably similar to Jenny, OK one on one or in a small group, but public speaking, no way!! When I was younger, I was shyer, took me until well into my 20s to open up a bit. I suppose I'm still shy in that I won't impose my company on anyone - I'll nearly always wait for them to make the first move. I probably miss out on friendships that way, but I just can't push myself forward.
Best wishes to all,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  9:26:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm very shy Frannie ;) My husband says I have the "talk to me face...like a friendly dog". Should I be insulted? LOL He says some pups give a look and everyone stops to pat their head. That's me, I talk to everyone I meet. Sometimes more well received than others! LOL
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  08:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm more of an extrovert. I watch and wait and see what needs to be done to make things happen. I'm a natural leader and facilitator, and I make things happen. I enjoy guiding people toward what they want and helping them reach their goals.

I used to teach on the college level. I would stand up and lecture for two hours and forty-five minutes at a time and do it with very few notes. I used to wonder how I could know how to make the lecture exactly fit the time needed, and never be more than a few minutes off. It worked every time. I don't mind getting up in front of people and talking; it's just another thing we do to communicate. I have high self acceptance so if I make a mistake I don't mind much; everyone flubs stuff and it's okay, the world still turns.

I love watching how groups interact, how the different personalities each bring something to the table, and what the results can be. I love drawing people out and listening to their contributions, and watching them light up as they're put into play.

I think Frannie's the same kind, because she thinks of many interesting topics for posts.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  09:28:08 AM  Show Profile
In my family, out of the three of us kids, my brother and I are outgoing and my sis is the opposite. I used to be such a "ham" as a kid, and I only occasionally hesitate to strike up a conversation with a stranger. When I was in my 30s though I suddenly developed stage fright to be up in front of a group of people. I remember when I was about 35 I was carrying my stereo out of the house to take it to be repaired. A couple was walking down the sidewalk and asked "Oh, do you live here?" to which I replied with my family's trademark sarcastic humour "Nah; I'm robbing the joint." I did stop and chat with them and turns out they were interested in buying a house in the neighborhood! I told them how great a place it was, etc. and when they moved in a month later, I brought a fresh loaf of banana bread with the recipe. We've been friends ever since. The wife even mentioned that the other day, saying how they thought that was such a nice thing to do, and they munched on it for several days". Really made me feel good to hear that, and when I DO get a case of shyness I try and make myself think of the possible great friendship I might be passing up without even realizing it. Nance
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:28:40 AM  Show Profile
karin .. i was very shy as a child too (at times) .. and i honestly think that as i got older .. i became bolder just because i didn't want to be so shy.

cyn .. darlin' .. just DO it! i was shy and discovered that when i opened up .. everyone around me did too. i think it's way more fun to be 'out there'. and i've met so many wonderful friends by just extending a hand.

sunshine .. i too, always kept busy doin' something .. loved it when others would join in too.

jenny and jane .. i can remember when i didn't want to be the 'center' of attention .. and oh lordy me oh my .. i now THRIVE on it!

rhonda gurlfren .. you just keep that sweet puppy face on .. i'm sure it's one of your endearing qualities!

mary ann .. i do think i'm a lot like you .. had to work to get there .. especially when speaking in front of crowds .. and now .. i'm a 'performer'!!

i think the important thing is to 'be yourself' .. and let your own style come through .. be it quiet or outgoing. honestly and self-confidence are what i think draw
people to these traits in a person.

nancy .. my brother and i are the 'hams' in the family and yes . my sweet sister is more the shy one .. although .. god love her .. she WILL speak her piece when she feels there is an unjustice done.

i think being shy is just fine too! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
You are such a dear! Thank you for the encouragement!

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  7:18:52 PM  Show Profile
I like to listen to people talk. I learn so much by just listening and absorbing what someone is saying. I'm not shy but I'm not outgoing either. I'm right where I'm supposed to be, I guess. Susan
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  7:58:11 PM  Show Profile
I am definitely outgoing.....My husband says that I would talk to a post if it had a hat on!! As I have grown older and maybe wiser, I find that I love to listen almost as much as running my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  8:53:05 PM  Show Profile
ohhh you gurlz are so right .. listening is indeed as important as talking. i love to listen to others' stories! (ha! like tellin' one too!) oxoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  12:37:19 AM  Show Profile
I am definitely outgoing. I love to talk to people and learn about them. One time we were flying to IL and had to change planes in Denver. After we got on the second flight my husband said "I can't believe you talk to so many people. You know where they're going, who they're visiting, how many kids they have, etc." The exception to that is if I have to walk into a room full of people I don't know -- like being a new member of a club, church, etc. Then my shy side pops out and I'm terribly uncomfortable.

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  06:59:29 AM  Show Profile
I am very shy. I get very uncomfortable in big groups. I am ok with a few people but it takes me a while to open up. When I was a child I was worse. I would hide behind my mother. I liked playing alone compared to with friends. So I got picked on a lot as a young child. In my job I talke to people all day and I am ok with it but it is because I am on the phone. It is strange how the anonymousness of the phone opens me up.
My husband on the other hand can talk to anyone. He has made friends anywhere. I tease him because were ever we go he know someone.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I was quite shy until I was about 30, but when I started doing LOTS of public events for libraries, I overcame the shyness. Now I am just like Kay. Everyone always remarks that I talk to everybody and that people tend to tell me "every detail" of their lives. I think that each person has an interesting story. I still feel shy when I walk into a group that I don't know, but I really think that I hide it pretty well.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  6:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Well girlfriends...to listen to everyone here I would never think any of us are shy (tee hee) We sure can talk up a storm.
I'm a definite talker but only in a very small group or 1:1. I am shyer and shyer the bigger the group gets. I definitley DO NOT like to be the center of attention. As for talking in front of a group you can forget it. Well.. If the group is under 7 yrs old I would be okay.

TEDDIE
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I am definately not shy, and it is easy for me to make friends...but sometimes I don't want to be the center of attention.
When it comes to sharing my "true" feelings and thoughts I tend to be pretty reserved. Especially when it comes to things I feel strongly about. I realize that some people would think my ideas and oppinions are kind of "out there" So I usually keep them to myself...especially around my family. I like to keep the peace, ya know.

I think I must have an approachable face or something, because lots of times strangers tell me their life stories and deep dark secrets??? I also find lost pets and children alot???

One thing I have learned, whether you are dealing with family, friends or strangers..."You get more bees with honey!"

Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  12:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
I'll use my loving DH's quote, 'Get Kim talking by saying hi to her!' 'nough said!.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  8:15:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm not really shy but I am an introvert. I'm very happy spending time alone. In a group I'm one of the listeners usually but not afraid to speak up and give my opinion if need be. I'm very much a people watcher and learn alot by observation and listening. Now my DH......he's one of those people that's never met a stranger. Geez......I can't even send him to the store. It takes him forever to get back.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  8:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I can be very shy but I'm not afraid to sing in front of a large group...but ask me to speak.... I use to be accused of having a chip on my shoulder because I was afraid to talk to people. Not true just too scared.
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  11:03:34 AM  Show Profile
I'd have to say I'm somewhere in the middle. An outgoing introvert (does that make sense?). I don't have a problem starting a conversation, but ususally try to listen more than talk. Guess it's my training as a therapist. I have done group therapy and don't really mind talking in front of a small group of people, but a large group? Ugh! I definitely love meeting new people, but really love my quiet, alone time as well. It just seems to settle my mind and refuels me!

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  1:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
I think I am a little of both. When I was little, my family says that I could walk into the room of the Yacht Club where we used to live, and know everyones names, kid's names, boat's names, where they lived and everything all in about 20 minutes! I was quite the social Butterfly, and I still am. I am a little shy when I go to Summer camps and things when my friends arent there and I have to start all over, and find new ones. But eventually it gets easier. I love talking to people, and hanging out with my friends. Introductions are always a little awkward, but then the relationships that are built, are totally worth it!
Heather

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet." -Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you Shy or Outgoing ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page