horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
What would you folks recommend as a good horse feed. I have been shopping around but can't decide on a specific brand. I am going to get a horse soon but I don't know what works the best so I have been doing a lot of research. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  09:41:01 AM  Show Profile
What kind of feed are you speaking of, hay/alphalfa/grains or ?, all horses are differant, and some are easy keepers, and some are not, when you buy a horse, its usually a good idea to continue to feed what the horse is used to eating, but it also matters on what you will be using your horse for...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile
The most important (because it's the largest) component of a horse's diet is their hay. Can you buy from someone who gets core samples analyzed? Then it's easier to figure out what kind of supplementation they need by way of grain/commercial feeds.

Also, their activity level is important- do you ride once a week? Every day? Never? Do they train/play/pack? There are many levels of work a horse can do.

Diet balancing is a trial and error sport, because in the end- every animal is different. Balancing an equine diet is somewhat complicated, it really just depends on so many factors that no one online can accurately tell you what your horse needs without many details about your soil, the soil where your hay is grown, your hay analysis, minerals offered, activity level and frequency, body condition score (present as well as target), etc.

Good luck with your new adventure in horse ownership! I definitely second what Tina said, ask the person you get the horse from what they're feeding, the quantities, suppliers, and the schedule the horse is used to.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile
My one suggestion would be to try to stay away from sweet feed. Sugar is something to be avoided, in spite of what the feed companies would like to push at you. Even if your horse were a hard worker, sugar would not be the way to go. An awful lot of commercially prepared feeds contain molasses for palatibility. Stick with the most natural diet, like whole oats, if your horse is not a hard worker, and a small amount...you horse does not need a big bucket of it either. Crimped oats provide higher carbs/sugar in smaller amounts...so make them chew and give them whole oats instead..it is good for their teeth. My horses all get the best hay I can find for them, grass for the non-insulin resistent ones when it is in season, and a cup of whole oats in the morning and in the evening with a chunk or two of carrot mixed in for a treat. They are all healthy, shiny and full of vigor.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns

Edited by - StrawHouseRanch on Jan 03 2012 10:21:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  12:28:36 PM  Show Profile
My family feeds a mix of corn and oats. We mix it bushel to bushel in the winter, as this gives a little more corn. In the summer we mix it pound for pound, giving more oats. If feed a supplement that is podwer we add veg oil to help it stick. This has help my family 3 generations. How much to feed is the hard part, we follow a rule that says a horse needs 3% of it weight in feed stuff, 80% of that should be hay, and up to 20% grain.
I feed only enough grain to keep my horses in shape, so if they are worked daily they get alittle more feed, horses at rest only get a taste so that they come when called up.

You also have to look at overall condition of the animal, any problems ( insulin resistiants and founder have special needs, along with minny ponies)

good luck, horses are a joy to own!

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  08:33:29 AM  Show Profile
What you feed your horse depends on what it is doing for work. Is it a performance horse? Is it a pasture pet? Is it a weekend trail warrior? If your horse is high performance, you need to feed for calorie intake. If it is a pasture pet, you can get away with feeding mostly hay, but there again not all hay is the same either. Alfalfa and clover are high protien. Pasture grass is mostly a timothy mix of some kind at least here in Maine. Anyway, look at what your horse does for work. Look at the calorie listing on the bags of grain and go from there. YOU CANNOT FEED COW GRAIN TO HORSES! It does not have the right protein that horses need. If you have a low performance horse, you can get away with a complete feed (pelleted. no obvious molasses, oats, corn in mix). If you have a performance horse, than you might want a sweet feed with the molasses, oats and corn. Frankly, regarding brands, all brands are going to say they are better than their competitors. Personally, I think, brand wise, it's six to 1/2 dozen of the other as to which brand is better. If you switch feed and/or brands, you need to introduce the new feed slowly. Mix 1/4 ration of the new with 3/4 ration of the old. Do this for the course of 3-4 days. Then do half and half for 3-4 days, then 3/4's new to 1/4 old for 3-4 days. Then you can feed the new feed exclusively. If you do not do this, your horse can and may colic and this could result in death as a horses gut is very sensitive to dietary change. You may want to do this over a longer period of time depending on your horse. You should also consult your vet as well. Grain brands also vary from state to state and region to region. When I had my horse, it came from virginia. No one carried the brand he was on, so we had to switch him over to Blue Seal when he came up as that was the only brand we had up here at the time. Good luck. I hope you have fun. I hope this helps.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Hay, hay, hay. Horses are meant to eat grass/dried grass. But it needs to be good hay. Buy from a reputable dealer, not necessarily the local feed store.

If the horse is underweight, try feeding soaked beet pulp. It is palatable, wet and easily digestible. It may take a little grain or carrots or apples mixed in at first to get the horse used to it, but then you can leave out the goodies. My horses bob their heads, whicker and paw when they hear the pellets hitting the bucket! You do need to soak the pellets. It takes about a half hour for the pulp to be nicely soaked and disintegrated. It's okay if all the water isn't soaked up. Some horses like it sloppy.

I only feed this when I am camping because I am usually riding 100+ miles in a week. I add whole oats, salt, vitamins and carrots or apples. They wolf it down.

My horse, in the past, would come out of summer quite fit with ribs visible because of the amount of riding I do. The first year I fed beet pulp during camping trips, he went in to winter with a layer of fat and ribs not visible. I am a firm believer in beet pulp. Just make sure you soak it well.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  4:22:15 PM  Show Profile
One thing I neglected to mention, age...If you have a geriatric horse (over 20) you will want to pay close attention to it's teeth. Signs of tooth loss is balls of hay all over the feed area (called cubbing) and dropping lots of grain out of it's mouth while eating. Due to less intake from toothloss, geriatric horses need to be closely managed in the feed area. Young horses still growing need special feed as well to ensure proper bone growth and weight gain. Once again, consult your vet.

Lorie

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:09:33 AM  Show Profile
The current issue of Horse Illustrated has a good article about grains/feeding horses.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  8:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Great topic & what a wealth of information... Thank you all....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  8:53:24 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with all these ladies, research your particular horses needs very carefully, and sometimes it takes a little adjusting to get the right balance.

If you're looking for a brand of feed, I've had good luck with safechoice as a starting point. But whatever you do, lots and lots of good quality hay is important, so I'd start there. I second the beet pulp for a hard keeper, just make sure the vitamins and minerals are balanced. Most horses will take the minerals into their own hooves :) if you provide access to a free choice salt and mineral block. Watch out for the ones with selenium, as that needs to be very carefully monitored to avoid over consumption.

Also, The Horse Nutrtition Bible is an excellent reference.

Hope it helps!

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  9:19:40 PM  Show Profile
http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11653

You can read it for free online :)

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! What a wealth of information. It's gonna take a little time to check all this out very carefully. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice I have been given. I will take it all into consideration. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirlie
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Vicki
MA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  1:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Good quality hay is the most important thing you can give a horse. If possible, free choice and lots of water. Make sure your horse has access to water especially in winter when things can freeze up.

I have 2 horses here at the farm, one is 30+ years old Morgan/Arab, the other is a 4.5 year old QH. They both get beet pulp pellets soaked in hot water and vitamins. The old man gets a little bit of senior feed with his beet pulp and some extra timothy hay pellets as a snack at night but the youngster gets no grain just beet pulp (2x/day) and all the hay they can eat. Both horses have great weight even in the winter.

Like others mentioned its important to have a vet check their teeth and check what their parasite load is.

Good luck, its a great adventure,
Vicki
Go to Top of Page

horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  05:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. I have a friend who has a couple of horses, and I have helped to take care of them and feed them. What fun I had. They were beautiful horses. I haven't got to ride them yet though. She says I need to be trained to ride a gaited horse.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  09:17:50 AM  Show Profile
A lot of great responses here. I have taken several classes and courses at NC State University on Equine Nutrition and the best thing is pasture and grass.

However some horses need a little help from time to time, as mentioned above - broodmares, foals, horses in training/competition, & elderly horses.

I have off the track Thoroughbreds (ex-racers we picked up off the track) and they need some feed.

I feed Purina feeds; Omeline 300 or 200; plus Equine Senior. I add corn oil (1/2 - 1 cup per 2 lbs, approx.) I have been very pleased with the Purina feeds, and they have a lot to choose from. I do stay away from pellet feed, as I had some nasty experiences with choke while feeding pellets.
I also feed mine free choice hay, as much as they will eat; and constant pasture turnout.
For my "skinnies" right off the track, I feed softened alfalfa cubes and from time to time I feed shredded beet pulp as well.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  08:35:51 AM  Show Profile
I just read in another forum where A gentleman was told by his vet to "put the horse down if it quits eating." Well he didn't, he ended up changing the horse feed he was giving him and the horse recovered fully. Does this happen a lot? Over a period of time the horse grow say allergic to the regular horse feed??
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  10:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Could have been choke which is caused by feed balling up in the horses throat making it difficult to swallow.

Go to Top of Page

horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:39:43 AM  Show Profile
sometimes all we need is a little patience. We all forget that from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Well I have been doing a lot of research on feeding a horse. Wow I didn't know how much really goes into it. This beautiful animal takes a lot of care and patience.
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  09:17:48 AM  Show Profile
For all their size, horses really do require constant vigilance. They also require routine care, hooves, teeth, and vaccines. There is a steep learning curve when you decided to bring horses into your life! We feed according to the seasons, when there is grass, they get hay once a day with their supplements; when it is like it is now, the dead of winter, they get hay four times a day and supplements. I can't imagine not watching my horses' and donkeys' conditions and constantly assessing their health. Vary rarely does "one size fit all" in the feeding and care of these animals!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile
My favorite brand of feed is Seminole. I've fed their low starch line for years, switching between the Safe N Light, the Perform N Safe, and the Safe Senior depending on the needs of my horses. I will not feed a high carb food to any of my horses since I have one with sugar issues.

Safechoice is a good food, but not as palatable as the Seminole Feeds. PePo and Runner are eating Safechoice now because Seminole is not readily available up here. PePo thinks I'm trying to poison her.

I also like Purina Ultium as a good feed for a working horse.

Beet pulp is wonderful and you do not have to soak it, it can be fed dry. I also feed the air fern pony some grass hay pellets so she thinks she gets a full meal when the big horses eat.

"A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself."
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries." A A Milne
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  04:56:05 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried Nutrena Lite Balance for their insulin resistant horses? I'm not crazy about feeding pelleted feed, but from research, this one looks safe and appears to provide some extra nutrients they might need.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:44:02 AM  Show Profile
I tried it when we first moved out to NM Paula. I stopped using it when after contacting the manufacturer, was told it is NOT safe for insulin resistant horses. We have three very easy keepers, one being insulin resistant...so it was not an option for us.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  12:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Margaret,

That has me worried. I found that Nutrena's website said it was "ideal for insulin resistant and Cushings horses". I wonder if they have changed their formula. Hopefully their website is accurate. That would be awful if they were advertising it one way, but their experts know it is another. I wish I could get Seminole feed around here, but I can't find it.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

leigh12354
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Leigh
Riverside CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  2:13:46 PM  Show Profile
What about using beet pulp on a regular basis as a supplement to your horses regular feed?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Feed Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page