Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 A Woman Alone - Relocating & Dreaming of a Farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A Woman Alone - Relocating & Dreaming of a Farm Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Greetings Farmgirls ;-)

I am reaching out to as many Farmgirls as possible hoping to connect with those who can lend their wisdom. I have never posted before and only connected with this forum several days ago and have been reading voraciously ever since.

I am thirty-eight years old and will be living on my own for the first time in my life. My husband and I are separating (a good thing) and because of some wonderful sycronistic events (like finding and reading MJ's Farm Book) I am ready to face my fear of living alone and reach for my dream of living on a farm.

I found a post in this forum about www.findmyspot.com and after wading through my choices have chosen Western Massachusetts to relocate to. I currently live in CA. This is a HUGE move for me - to a place where I do not know a soul, but a change that I feel is so necessary for my growth and happiness.

I am reaching out to see if anyone has any information on farms for sale in that area. I have written down all the websites that I've found throughout this forum and am checking on land daily - but would love to connect with farmgirls from that area who are living their dream.

Thanks for any information you can give - and for all the support and connection you offer beginning farmgirls like myself ;-)

Many blessings,
Melanie

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  12:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I can't help you with finding a place. But at the age of 21 I moved all my belongings in the back of a short bed pickup to Utah had $500.00 to my name at the time a gift from my grandmother or I would have been pennieless and moved to Utah where I knew no one. You can do this if you really want to. My life has only gotten better because of the move. I wish you the same success.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  12:55:31 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

In 2003 when I was 51 years( had divorced a few years before), I made a major move and bought a tiny farm in North Texas. I had never lived in the country and had spent 23 years living in Dallas.

There have certainly been ups and downs--most of them financial-, but I will tell you that I have never been happier!

I am certain that there are 100's of women who are essentially homesteading alone, so all I can say is "Go for it girl!"

Wishing you great happiness.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  1:23:29 PM  Show Profile
I AM WOMAN! ... you can do it gurlfren! AND .. if you consider still looking around .. i've discovered that Kentucky is God's backyard .. and so reasonbly inexpensive to live here! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  1:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,
I can't help you with Mass. farms, but if you're traveling across I-80 to get there from CA, you're welcome to the hide-a-bed in the living room to crash for a night. We're about 30 minutes north of I-80 off IL-40. It would actually save you about a half hour travel time if when you cross from IA to IL you took I-88 east from I-80, then IL-40 South back to I-80 east.

If you go that route, you're only about 2 miles from our place and since you have an extra half hour anyway ....... :)

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  7:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,
Welcome and good luck with everything. MaryJane and the connection here is such a confidence builder. After reading her book and chatting here for a while, I know I can do whatever I dream of. I wish you all the very best and will be thinking of you. You are being so brave and you can DO IT!!
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:06:32 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Melanie!!
I have had to start over before too..and I know you can do it!! What an adventure! You are welcome here if I am on your way east too!
I sure hope you find your farm!!!! I am glad you found us!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:33:41 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are wonderful!

Thank you Jenny, Jayne, Frannie, Sunshine, Connie and Cindi!!! With encouragement and support like this how can a beginning farmgirl not feel like she can do anything?! Thank you all for responding to my post and for the encouragement ;-) It's nice just to hear that others have started over and women have been there before and their lives changed for the better ;-)

Cindi and Jenny... thank you both for the offer to stay over ;-) I'll actually be taking a flight to MASS in September, but I sincerely appreciate your warmth and generosity ;-)

I'll keep you all updated and continue to read and devour every word that's shared by all of you...

Blessings,
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:36:51 PM  Show Profile
You are so welcome, Melanie.
Best wishes, Jayne
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  9:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Melanie -- first, welcome! Second, I am totally in awe of you for making this decision. You give me encouragement because I am facing the same decision and will be going it alone too. Not sure where I'm going to end up. You can do this!!! We will be your biggest cheering section!

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  04:57:15 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, all hats off to you!!! You got that farmgirl spirit and aren't afraid to fly! So glad you found us, were here for you and all others, so share your journey with us! You'll be fine and your adventure will only make you stronger, how exciting, a chance to start all over, your a lucky one! Kay, you can do this too, like Frannie put it so well, we are WOMEN! Keep posting and blessings for a safe flight!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  10:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Greetings and warm welcomes and happy hopes for your new future. How ironic, when my first husband and I were separating years ago we were LIVING in western Mass in a town called Williamstown, and it was beautiful. In autumn the hills are a mass of vibrant onfire colors, looking like a distant bunch of lollipops crammed together! And driving in the snow, gee, hope you LIKE snow, was an adventure in itself (ha)!

Are you hoping/planning to buy right away or will you rent a house or apartment first, until you find "the" place? I am in awe of your optimistic, eager, pioneering spirit, and with the firsthand knowledge of alot of these ladies, you will be happily hanging curtains before you know it!

Nance
"bloom where you are planted"
Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  1:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Dearest Kay...

You're facing the same decision??? Isn't it scary, thrilling, exciting and overwhelming??? I have been contemplating this decision for what seems like years now... I honestly couldn't tell you what it was that has made me finally ready to take the leap - but we can do it Kay! After reading MJ's book and hearing how she found her farm on her own as a single mamma with two little ones, I knew she was talking to me! I knew this was the time... isn't it amazing how when we see examples of what we long for in our hearts it helps to guide us to our own hearts desire....

Keep in touch Kay ;-)

Blessings,
Melanie

[quote]Originally posted by therusticcottage

Melanie -- first, welcome! Second, I am totally in awe of you for making this decision. You give me encouragement because I am facing the same decision and will be going it alone too. Not sure where I'm going to end up. You can do this!!! We will be your biggest cheering section!

Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Sue!

I never imagined how much support could be available through the farmgirl connection - just reading your message saying, "you've got that farmgirl spirit!" makes me smile and feel like I can do anything!

blessings to you,
Melanie

[quote]Originally posted by junebug

Melanie, all hats off to you!!! You got that farmgirl spirit and aren't afraid to fly! So glad you found us, were here for you and all others, so share your journey with us! You'll be fine and your adventure will only make you stronger, how exciting, a chance to start all over, your a lucky one! Kay, you can do this too, like Frannie put it so well, we are WOMEN! Keep posting and blessings for a safe flight!

Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Greetings Nancy!

So nice to hear from someone who's lived there! The autumn colors are one of the reasons I'm so drawn to the New England area ~ to be honest I've never lived in the snow... this is reflective of my personality - never done it... let's do it! I'm sure I'm in for some hardships and wake up calls - but thats why I'll probably rent for awhile before I buy the farm. I don't have much money so am looking for a fixer upper, although I've been told MASS property is expensive... but I'm a firm believer in if you follow your heart, everything conspires to help you along the way ;-) (I wear rose colored glasses - can ya tell?)

Anyway - thanks so much for the support!

blessings,
Melanie

quote:
Originally posted by Nance in France

Greetings and warm welcomes and happy hopes for your new future. How ironic, when my first husband and I were separating years ago we were LIVING in western Mass in a town called Williamstown, and it was beautiful. In autumn the hills are a mass of vibrant onfire colors, looking like a distant bunch of lollipops crammed together! And driving in the snow, gee, hope you LIKE snow, was an adventure in itself (ha)!

Are you hoping/planning to buy right away or will you rent a house or apartment first, until you find "the" place? I am in awe of your optimistic, eager, pioneering spirit, and with the firsthand knowledge of alot of these ladies, you will be happily hanging curtains before you know it!

Nance
"bloom where you are planted"

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  2:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Another book you will be able to draw a lot of information from is Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia to Country Living". Carla started it over 30 years ago and had been expanding on it ever since with the help of many, many, many like-minded folks. We were nearly the end of completely the 10th edition when she passed on unexpectedly October, 2006.

It is the single most priceless book you will have in your library.

Cyndi
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  2:33:56 PM  Show Profile
MELANIE,
This is BIG, very proud of you for going forward!! when are you going to do this? Do you have a lot of things to move or are you starting from scratch? We are here for you, can't offer you a place to stay, not on your route, but what like to offer something to help if I could. Keep us posted on what you are doing, we all want to see you settled and happy, sitting on the front porch and knitting or reading a good book.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

promiseranch
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jacqueline
Medford Oregon
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,
I wish you all the luck. You can do it. I wish that I could venture out. I have a problem with traveling, but, long for it so much. You are very lucky that you can travel with no fear. I live here in Southern Oregon, and finally bought my mini ranch and I know how wonderful it makes you feel.
I am wondering if you could go on the website of the chamber of commerce and maybe they can send you some of that info.

Good luck,

Jacqueline
cowgirl @ heart
Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Cyndi ~

I've order Carla's book - I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. Even though I'm a new farmgirl or farmgirl wanna be - her book has been recommended to me more than any others. I've also ordered another book I read about on these forums - "Country Women" I believe it's called. It's out of print, but I bought it used.

Thanks again for the suggestion ;-)

Blessings,
Melanie

quote:
Originally posted by MullersLaneFarm

Another book you will be able to draw a lot of information from is Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia to Country Living". Carla started it over 30 years ago and had been expanding on it ever since with the help of many, many, many like-minded folks. We were nearly the end of completely the 10th edition when she passed on unexpectedly October, 2006.

It is the single most priceless book you will have in your library.

Cyndi

Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy ~

Thanks so much for the support! I'm actually planning on flying out to MASS mid-September. I don't have much to move - odds and ends... I think I'm going to sell off most of it and start fresh. Besides, I could use the extra money.

Your last sentence brought tears to my eyes - being settled and sitting on my front porch knitting is exactly what I want for myself in the coming months. Emails like yours are going to help me get there...

I'll post when I'm back from my trip and share what I've found out ~

Thanks so much for your thoughful concern... I feel like I'm packing you all with me!

Blessings,
Melanie

quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Gartenman

MELANIE,
This is BIG, very proud of you for going forward!! when are you going to do this? Do you have a lot of things to move or are you starting from scratch? We are here for you, can't offer you a place to stay, not on your route, but what like to offer something to help if I could. Keep us posted on what you are doing, we all want to see you settled and happy, sitting on the front porch and knitting or reading a good book.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Melanie..I am so glad to hear you have ordered the Carla Emery book. I wouldn't be without it. I had the honor of actually knowing Carla and having her stay at my home twice in the couple years before she died. She was such a wonderful, warm, humble person. I just loved her. What a legacy she has left us. And the other book, Country Women is a really good one too. I have had mine for about 10 years. Good choices for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks so much for the well wishes ~ Honestly, I am afraid... I have never traveled far from California and never by myself. I have arranged flights before, but never just for me... I've never even rented my own car. I just feel that if I don't do this I'll never realize my dream...

Congratulations on the purchase of your mini ranch! I hear Oregon is beautiful and actually researched living in southern Oregon where you are. I just can't afford land there...

Thanks for the suggestion about the Chamber. I'll check it out!

Blessings,
Melanie

quote:
Originally posted by promiseranch

Melanie,
I wish you all the luck. You can do it. I wish that I could venture out. I have a problem with traveling, but, long for it so much. You are very lucky that you can travel with no fear. I live here in Southern Oregon, and finally bought my mini ranch and I know how wonderful it makes you feel.
I am wondering if you could go on the website of the chamber of commerce and maybe they can send you some of that info.

Good luck,

Jacqueline
cowgirl @ heart

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  3:11:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited for you! You'll do wonderfully - those are a couple of great books, and with the gals here behind you, which we are, of course, you can do ANYTHING!!! I'm inspired by your enthusiasm, and REALLY inspired by your willingness to go ahead with your desires even though you say you're afraid. You can do it!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  3:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
it sounds like you have alot of support here for the ups and downs. I think you will do just fine.

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  3:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Libbie!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Libbie

I'm so excited for you! You'll do wonderfully - those are a couple of great books, and with the gals here behind you, which we are, of course, you can do ANYTHING!!! I'm inspired by your enthusiasm, and REALLY inspired by your willingness to go ahead with your desires even though you say you're afraid. You can do it!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  3:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sunshine - lot's of amazing women on this list... each saying exactly the right thing at the right time...

blessings,
Melanie

quote:
Originally posted by sunshine

it sounds like you have alot of support here for the ups and downs. I think you will do just fine.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A Woman Alone - Relocating & Dreaming of a Farm Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page