Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 A Woman Alone - Relocating & Dreaming of a Farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A Woman Alone - Relocating & Dreaming of a Farm Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Keep us updated on where you are and what you are doing, I guess you will be leaving soon. So will you be able to get on the site or will we be waiting awhile to hear from you? Where ever you land we are right here, let us know when you can, and I will send you a skien of yarn when you are settled.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
sometimes hotles have internet access for their customers so if you stay somewhere that has this update us. please and have a very safe trip.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  5:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,

You can do it! I got divorced when I was 32 (I'm 36 now), and I can honestly say that even though I was incredibly overwhelmed and terrified at the time, everything just worked out so well! The freedom to pursue the life you want is just wonderful! (my ex-husband would never have put up with my garden, rabbits, huge dog and soon-to-arrive chickens, ha ha).

Anyway, I live just outside of Albany,NY-not far from Mass. at all. I'm also a skiier, so I do a lot of traveling in Vermont. I'll keep an ear out about land, and if you ever want to get together, let me know.

Again, welcome to the farm, and never stop believing in your own strength!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  9:09:19 PM  Show Profile
Best of wishes to you Melanie! You can do it. Keep Dreaming! Keep Believing!Safe travels wherever they may lead you. I hope that you find a place to hang your hat and prop up your feet and to enjoy the farmgirl way of life.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Chrysalis Woman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melanie
Valley Springs CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  10:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, Nancy Jo, Jennifer and Tina ~ THANK YOU so very much for your emails ~

I will most definetly keep you all updated on my progress.

Nancy Jo - what a heart ~ I actually just learned to knit and sitting on my front porch in a rocking chair knitting a scarf is exactly what I plan on doing once I'm settled!

Jennifer - I'll let you know when I'm in the area and if I'm going to have any time to connect.. thanks so much for the extended hand ;-)

All you farmgirls give me such so much courage just by your support -
Love to you all,
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  05:21:47 AM  Show Profile
MELANIE,
We will be waiting be hear!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  05:34:04 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,
I was re-reading MaryJane's book last night and when I read this, I thought of you:
Any woman alone without friends to sustain her, to nurture and support, to hold with loving arms, like a single thread, is weak. But the weaving, the loving, the nurturing of others, the networks of friendship makes her strong.
Have you already read this? It just made me think of you - but remember, you are not a woman alone as you will always have us here to support you and wish you well.
So do let us know how you are going and we'll be here to chat whenever you want to.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I must take issue with the statement that a woman alone is weak. I say that this is nonsense. While friends and family are important, I will speak as a woman on her own and say that I never think of myself as weak and alone. I am very strong and am becoming stronger and happier each day as I navigate the challenging world of a woman on her own in a rural setting.
So to all of you who are thinking of going out on your own, I say "You are strong. Go for all that you dream of doing!"

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Melanie - I was just thinking about you and what you're doing and wondering how it's going. Any updates?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

want2danse
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

shelley
Athol Idaho
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  1:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie,

You're probably back east in Mass right now, but I wanted to leave you a note, as we have several things in common. I'm very new to the farmgirl connection, having just joined yesterday after reading some posts from "A Farm of My Own" folder. I wasn't considering myself a farmgurl (the Southern Cal version), but now maybe I CAN, which is exciting!

3 months before my 50th birthday, I too, left California (Orange County). I was recently divorced and because my youngest child was leaving home to attend college, it was a great time for me to relocate. I have always dreamed of living in an area where I could grow a garden and have a few chickens. (I didn't know that owning chickens was a "farmgirl dream".)

I chose northern Idaho and found an acreage in the country but close enough to the city that I could continue to work as a nurse part time. I have been here one year now and have learned SO many things. Melanie, you are in for a HUGE adventure.

For instance, I was so excited in April when the baby chicks were available for purchase. I purchased 8 of them.......and raised them in my laundry room until they could actually fly up and roost on the cupboard. My neighbors said "You've got to put those chickens outside!" "But they're so young, I said." "No, it's time" they said.
So I put the chickens out.........behind a 5 foot chicken wire fence, little coop, straw, food, water, etc. Within one hour, ONE hour, an owl came and ate up 7 of my 8 chickens. I was devastated !!! I cried all day. Ironically, I found the gret horned owl dead on my property about a week later. Circle of life?

Only slightly daunted, I now have chickens again, but THIS time they are in an area with a 6 foot wooden picket fence which is covered on top by chicken wire, and they have a 10 by 10 foot chicken coop in which to spend their nights. I wish they could be free-range, but apparently, it's not safe enough here. They just started laying eggs this month !

Melanie, I hope that you will be able to live out your dream and will find much happiness "on the farm". I'm loving it, so far.

Fondly, Shelley

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Shelley! What a great adventure you've had! I'm so sorry about your seven little chickens - isn't that strange about the owl? Welcome to the 'Connection! Of course you're a farmgirl - it's a condition of the heart, and you definitely have the bug. Hop on over to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself so we can all give you a proper farmgirl welcome! Glad to have you here!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  5:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie,

don't know when your flight to Mass. is, but I can tell you a little bit about the area. I live in NH, but I drive through Western Mass.on my way to visit my sister in CT. Rte 91 goes through some really pretty country. You have probably already found some towns to visit, but Greenfield is nice. Vermont also has beautiful farms and farmland, and they appear to value open space much more than NH and Mass. They put a lot of their farm land in land trusts in order to prevent development. I love VT. especially the Rte 100 area. Not too far from western Mass. Maybe about an hour1/2 away.
We're about 2 hours from Greenfield.

I give you a lot of credit, picking up and starting fresh in a totally new place. Maryjane's Farm is a great place to meet and get encouragement from like minded women!! There's a lot of women out there just like you.

We're in Central NH. I have always wanted a farm too, and now we have chickens. I just built a barn with my daughter this spring (she's 11!) We had goats, but not anymore. Someday when I have more land (maybe out west) I'll have them again. I really loved them, but they were too noisy for my neighborhood here.

Good Luck with your visit and farm search. And welcome to New England and MaryJane's Farm!!
Lisa

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  3:33:01 PM  Show Profile
You GO !Conno! love hearing them strong women kind of storys! hats off to ya girl! randi
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  06:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Best of luck to you, Melanie! I'm so glad you joined us! I'm a firm believer in destiny and it sounds like you have finally found yours.

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  11:15:28 AM  Show Profile
Hurray, Conno! I completely and totally agree with you! I took a deep breath (and a 30 year mortgage) and bought my own little homestead. I've been on my own for six months now and have I learned a lot! I've learned to build my own chicken coop, put up my own fencing (cursing my very rocky soil), put in my "ghetto" garden, replace torn screens, broken glass - the list is endless. I never would have thought I could do it myself, but necessity is, indeed, the mother of invention. I feel energized and liberated (most of the time - except when my lawnmower stopped working and I realized the limitations of my mechanical knowledge...).

But I also realize that I am not completely alone - I have the Farmgirl Connection and the support of my Farmgirl Chapter-mates. I am truly blessed.

But how I do ramble on....

Susan

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  11:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Susan!! You should really start a blog on your adventure, I'm sure other women would find it helpful, I know I'd love to read all about it! Girl power!!

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls......We are Strong, We are woman, We are invincible...Hear us Roar....as the song sung by Helen Reddy years ago.... I put myself and two small children ages 2 and 3 back on our feet after a crappy divorce...my ex said I would not survive....Ha,Ha,Ha... he is on wife no.3.. and I have been married second time for 39 year 4 months and 15 days... I am Woman.......

newheart.......margie
Go to Top of Page

tsalagi
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Jo
Cedar Park TX
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  2:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie...and welcome to the group! Isn't this an incredible bunch of farmgirls!? It's like having a "whole 'nother family"! :)

Life is an adventure. Live your dream...wherever it leads you. And thrive!

Jo

!! Imagine !!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  8:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,
How are you going? Hope all is working out just the way you want.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  8:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hello Melanie!
I was just thinking about, well more like dwelling on, my future when I read your post and the many wonderful relplies to it. The thought of owning a farm or homestead or any piece of earth to call my own seems downright impossible at times. At 20 years old, I'm just starting out, having moved in with my boyfriend and his family about two months ago. Although I am not alone, this is the first time I've lived away from my family. Aside from marrying my boyfriend and raising a family, I'm not exactly sure what I want from my future. Of course I have a general idea: a slower-paced, rural lifestyle; a comfortable home and nice plot of land to raise veggies, chickens, and my children; and the means to be able to stay home with my veggies, chickens, and children. My biggest problem is making a plan to get there. My past attempts to find a career have just been just that, attempts. I took some classes at a community college before dropping most of them. I think I made it through about four. It's not that I hated it, I didn't have an ounce of willpower in me. That's something I've struggled with for awhile: willpower, drive, passion, the "do whatever it takes" mentality. I hate to call myself a quitter, but it's the truth. When the going gets tough, I quit! Then there was last April when I started a farming internship. I enjoyed the work but couldn't stand my boss. Obviously he couldn't stand me either because he fired me, by e-mail of all things. "You obviously don't think highly of your employment here, so don't bother coming back." How's that for a blow to the self-esteem?! I replied with a kind and courteous letter, and moved on. Now I'm here. In that unknown place between the past and the future. And ironically, living in a city that's on my top spots list on www.findmyspot.com! Quite funny if I do say so myself! At the moment, I'm babysitting for a living, making less than minimum wage, but enjoying it. I don't have a bank account full of money, but I do have the man of my dreams, a wonderful family, friends that have stuck with me, and the promise of the future. And on to what I've been meaning to get to through my ramblings... a renewed sense of determination thanks to my fellow farmgirls. I'm beginning to see that all my stumbling over the difficult spots has made me stronger and has brought me closer to knowing what I want out of life. When I really think on it, I'm not as lost as I thought I was. The core of my dreams is strong and the details will work themselves out. I may not have a degree or a "career," but I do know what I want out of life. That's the most important thing and I'm ready to follow through on my dreams. Life is a journey, not a destination, and I have to remember that. It takes time, hard work, and patience to find where you want to linger on the path of life. Whew, I'm sorry I rambled on so! I'm one of those discover things as you write kind of people and the words just spill out! Thanks to all of you for taking the time to listen! And I want to wish each and every one of you the best of luck as you follow your dreams!
With love always,
Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank

Edited by - CountryGirl85 on Sep 27 2006 8:54:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Laura. You certainly are wise in your young 20 years! I love hearing these stories about women who know what they want and act on it, putting fear aside. Im 47 years old and still havent acted on my passions and dreams. But I keep coming here getting inspiration!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  10:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie, What a great adventure you are undertaking. We are all with you every step of the way. A book I was given about 30 years ago when I was off on my own is 'Country Women' a handbook for the new farmer. It is by Jeanne Tetrault and Sherry Thomas. It is dedicated "to every woman who has shared or will share this dream..."
Power on!!

Life may not be the party we hoped for....but while we are here we might as well dance!

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  8:11:27 PM  Show Profile
"Country Women" is a great resource book - it really gave me confidence to start some projects that involved carpentry that I didn't have before. Good recommendation, Mary Beth!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  8:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
It's awesome to read that others have the same thoughts as me. I am dying to sell my house in town and buy a small farm. It would help if land wasn't so expensive. But I'm hanging on to my dream and am going to make it work. This website is so inspirational and informational. It's great to share here.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  04:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah, fellow Missouri girl! Where is New London? I'm down here in West Plains. Hold onto that dream and if your willing to do some work, check into fixer uppers, or if your area is too expensive, check in different areas, I know the smaller the town the cheaper the land. Check into foreclosures too. Good luck and keep in touch!

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A Woman Alone - Relocating & Dreaming of a Farm Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page