jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  08:27:02 AM  Show Profile
I figure we could use this thread for those following the MSL calendar for decluttering. That way we can discuss the daily projects and plus it will serve as motivation if we know we aren't alone in this!

Here is the link to the calendar for those that need it. http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2012.htm

~jess

Edited by - jessabelluh on Jan 02 2012 08:30:11 AM

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  08:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Today's assignment is to set up a donation station and it links to this site http://theredchairblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/diy-storage-for-transient-items.html for an example of a donation station.

What system are you planning on using?

~jess
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea and looks like not a big time investment daily! Printing out my calendar right now.

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.

Edited by - grammytammy on Jan 02 2012 08:51:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  09:14:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by grammytammy
looks like not a big time investment daily!

This is exactly what makes me interested! lol

~jess
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm following the calendar too. I tackled the top of my kitchen cabinets today. I got everything down, cleaned, and got the tops of the cabinets dusted.

FarmGirl Sister#2904

"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  08:04:44 AM  Show Profile
I was too busy yesterday so I am cleaning the tops of my cupboards today. I did this last April and due to an excess of old towels I thought I would try something new. I laid some towels on top of my cabinets. Don't worry you can't see them from standing in my kitchen. My task paid off because wiping down up there was easy today. I took the towels down to wash and wiped down the tops of my cupboards. I found another towel to cover more space to help this be even easier next time. I spent so much time scrubbing last April with all the sticky dust up there I thought my washing machine could do the work for me. I hope you try my trick and save yourself some elbow grease if you have some spare cloth around.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  09:39:05 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't stop at one shelf. I ended up doing three and then found my seeds I saved from the garden and remembered I had some more flower heads drying in a bucket in the garage and got those taken care of. My dear husband will likely be very glad to have his bucket back. I can't believe he never complained that I kept it for four or five months. Can't wait for tomorrow's project.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea Emily! I'm going to try that for sure. I clean the tops of my cabinets every year and I'm starting to feel like a circus act. The towels would make things so much easier! Thank you for sharing. I cleaned two shelves today because I couldn't stop at one either. Ha ha. Yea for finding your seeds!

FarmGirl Sister#2904

"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  05:20:59 AM  Show Profile
I am considering signing up for the e-mails. I may still do that. Today I need to work on a stack of papers.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  07:13:15 AM  Show Profile
The girls were playing happily upstairs last night so I did my spices then. The cabinet looks so much better and everything fits. I even made space for the herbs I dried this summer.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  08:47:23 AM  Show Profile
My Chili Powder Quest has ended in success! All I had to do was clean out the spice cabinet. Ha ha. Now I can replenish my taco seasoning. The cabinet looks so much better and I can find things again.

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  5:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Looked ahead to tomorrow and found I already put all my cans together in a cabinet, they have actually been there for a year now. Hmmm, I know it says I should just take the day off but I really like my cleaned up cabinet so I think I might move down the line and get another one done tomorrow. Had to clean my car out today as an Italian soda got spilled by my daughter on the way home from town. The car really needed a clean up but I got a bunch of old MJF magazines in the mail today so I really wanted to sit and enjoy myself this afternoon. Guess the magazines will wait until tomorrow.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  6:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I got to looking through a lot of the different tasks and I've already done several and many I don't really need to do. I don't think one at a time will get it for me after seeing my tidy spice cabinet.

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile
I put folded newpapers on top of my cabinets to make them easier to clean. I just remove the newspaper, quickly wipe the cabinet tops, and reline with fresh newspaper. You can't see them from my kitchen and this makes cleaning the top of cabinets lots easier for me.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6642 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6642 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  07:47:49 AM  Show Profile
I started following this thread and even though I am pretty good at keeping clutter at bay, there is always more that can be done!! So, after reading some of the ideas, I got busy and look what I came up with in a very short time.

Clothes, Christmas stuff, and various other items that were not useful anymore quickly filled a bag and box for the thrift store!! And while I was going through my house, I cleaned up kitchen cabinets, spice shelf, bathroom cabinets, my work space, junk drawers and organized so we can find what we need. It was a great feeling to start the year with better organized areas and hopefully the thrift store will find the items donated useful to brin in much needed dollars! Winners all around!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  08:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Winnie!!

~jess
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile
I just downloaded the declutter calendar. What a great idea!!! We all need to get rid of stuff. Even guys, hopefully I can get started on this soon. I'm laid up with a bad knee right now. Hoping not to go to surgery. Thanks for sharing!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile
I love this list. I got lucky and had just done my junk drawer a few weeks ago so got a few days off. It really is nice to get a tiny extra thing done each day that really pays off. Good luck everyone at keeping going.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  09:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Finally hit my craft closet yesterday - turned into an all afternoon project. Put yarn I've had forever in a bag to take to Goodwill - actually turned into four bags. Also tossed out bits of yarn that I know I'll never use again - have been holding onto all of it for so long and have never done anything with it, so. . . Organized my craft closet better so there's more room - now that I got rid of all that yarn. Found projects that I had forgotten about actually. Boy, should go through this closet more often. But now things are organized and into baskets or totes. Next have to go through my hoard of sewing patterns and donate.
Good job everyone.
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Well I actually got to one cupboard the other day. It looks real nice now. On a roll I guess. Have to be careful how much I use my leg.
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:47:16 PM  Show Profile
I just found this post! I am excited because I just started my own simplify project! Today I tackled my closet and the hall closet. I managed to fill two large trashbags with clothing I do not wear. I cleared out so much room, I now have a place for a chair in my closet, so it is now really a dressing room! I will begin on the kitchen tomorrow, and then it is onto the rest of the house. I just printed out the calendar...what a great idea!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Edited by - MEWolf on Jan 18 2012 4:49:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile
I did my medicines a few weeks ago but this morning while the kids were at preschool I managed to finish scanning all my grandmother's slides digitized and gave 10 empty slide carousels to my mother in law. Man did that free up some space. Decluttering feels so good.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile
You all have been busy bees! I've been working away myself on the calendar list. I am getting ready to tackle my embroidery floss, it REALLY needs organized!

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic "My Simpler Life" Decluttering Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page