ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  06:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I'm hooked on "Downtown Abbey" too. But then I love all BBC series that I can find and actually don't want any American shows. The British countryside is so beautiful and they know how to photograph it for their shows. Their scripts are much better and more interesting. When it comes to their comedies, they don't bang you over the head with the joke either.

Enjoy series 2!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  06:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I knew it! Bates has been arrested! But I'm glad he and Anna got married! Interesting episode.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheeselady
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

michele
waxhaw NC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I have baby goat kids all over the place and more born this morning. But, I had to get everyone settled in time for Downton Abbey last night!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  08:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Last night's epispode was great--what on EARTH is going on with Lord Grantham and the housemaid? It seems so...offhanded. I realize he's torn up about the war by the way he's been barking at Lady Grantham and how "unsympathetic" she sounds about things but he seems to be taking it rather directly. Anyhoo, glad she left so there would be no more trouble. And geez louize, Matthew!!!??? I'm a lot like Lady Mary--as much as she loves him, his reaction to her at the graveside is just over the top with melancholy and seems so...tortured--obviously guilt laden, but he's a little much, frankly--and now, if previews for next week tell the truth, it's like he's done a 180 and can't believe she wants to marry the newspaper man! After that graveside speech, I'd marry the stableboy for heaven's sake!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Lots of twists and turns in that one!!!

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Jonni. Wake up Matthew!!
I have a theory that Richard, the newspaper man, killed Vera. I think she was going to spill the beans about Mary and that would not be good for him. If Mary was exposes.
I agree about Lord Grantham, I think they have spent the whole series thus far, creating this upstanding moral character and know he's ready to jump the housemaid?? Come on.
I can't say that I am sorry to see that simpy Lavinia go. She was just too drippy
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:17:56 PM  Show Profile
I have similar thinking, Michele (about Richard killing Vera). He's ruthless and she was absolutely going to spill the beans. She didn't care which candle she burned at which end, as long as it got her money.
Yeah, Lavinia was pretty, but true--VERY much a simpleton. And I think Mary is a very true person--just because she says what she feels and she's not easily intimidated, people think she's an ice queen, but I find her incredibly human. I pictured myself "slapping" Matthew at the graveside as if to say, "um, HELLO!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  10:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
another downton abby fan here. icant wait till sunday nite so i can find out what is going to happen.
every character is so interesting, i wish this series could go on forever.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  05:51:57 AM  Show Profile
I read today that next week's episode is the end of season 2 (say it ain't so)
Also, Shirley Maclaine is joining the cast in season 3. That has got to be a joke, please.!!!
Michele

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  05:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Tne end of the season already? It just started . . mercy!
I guess Shirley is playing the part of Lady Grantham's mother . . . coming from America
CJ

Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the last few posts I hate to see the season end and the deal with Lord Grantham and the housemaid? It almost seemed like that was thrown in as a last minute filler or something. If it was to show a different side of him, first, I don't think it was necessary and second, I think it could have been done differently.

While I still very much enjoy watching, this past two-hour episode just looked to me like the writers/producers/whomever were trying to throw in as many twists and turns to set up the final episode, but some of it just seemed superfluous.

Anyway, I want to be Lady Mary when I grow up!

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  8:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh, just saw this post. Count me in as a Downton Abbey fan! I was just on the website and wonder of wonders they have a "which Downton character are you" quiz. I'm almost embarrased to say I turned out to be Dowager Countess of Grantham, Grandmama herself! Ha!

And really? Shirley MacLane, but then again she'll be great as the gauche American. And I didn't mind the Lord Grantham almost giving into temptation. I'm just glad he caught himself in time!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6624 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6624 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  08:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I never thought about Richard killing Vera!! Now that does seem plausible. Last Sunday's episode was amazing and I hate that this coming Sunday is the end of season 2. What I love so much about all of the characters is that they seem so real with all of their struggles. I can understand each one because haven't we all known someone just like them?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  8:36:26 PM  Show Profile
If you love Downton Abbey check out House of Elliott its about 2 sisters in England before/after WWI and how they struggle to become ndependent dress designers! Too cool and very addictive -- Netflix has it.

The clothing is out of this world

Lila
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  05:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I can't remember which website it was but there is one with a "Loathe or Love" graph you can rate the characters on. Each one has a "slider" and you slide it to whatever degree you either loathe or love them. I had fun with that one.
CJ

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  06:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, the season finale is over. What say you? I can't wait until next season!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:04:46 AM  Show Profile
With no school today, my youngest wanted to stay up a little later last night and I said that was fine, but not a "peep" during my show! He played legos for about a half hour and off to bed he went.
Finally, Matthew & Mary are admitted their love for each other!!! How terrible for Anna to see her beloved Mr Bates in prison for life. With the end of Season 2, I can't wait for Season 3!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  11:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Downton Abbey fan here!!! Saving my money so I can purchase the DVDs. So agree that the writers/producers seem to have thrown in unnecessary side stories that have added nothing, absolutely nothing, to the telling of the tale. I agree with the previous comments about what the writers did to Lord Grantham's character. Just for once I'd like to see a male character on TV that is morally outstanding and a spiritual leader in the home without all the sexual drama. Though it is good that they had him eventually turning away from the temptation, it could have been written in a much better way.
*Sigh* Do we really have to wait an entire year for season three??
Andrea
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  11:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks also for the recommendation for the 'House of Elliott'. I must check it out. In so many Downton scenes I was so distracted by the their dress, antiques, and home decor that I missed important parts of dialogue! I have always so loved how homes were decorated into the early 1920s. Yet another reason I must buy the DVDs!
Andrea
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks here too to lila about the house of elliott. i have tried to watch it for years, but i cant ever remember the real name. i remember the elliott part, but dont get the acurate name. i have netflix. o boy, i cant wait.
also are we sure there is a 3rd season. i dont want to get my hopes up.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Prior to the season finale of Downton, our PBS channels showed "Secrets of the Manor House" which was essentially, the "factual" telling of houses like the one featured in Downton Abbey, the staff and the British aristocracy between 1890 and 1930. They discussed how it would be many of the male higher born's "last season" (meaning social season), in 1913 because so many of them would be dead in the coming war.

I was really pleased with Downton's finale. I really loved the connection between Anna and Mary, and yes, it's very sad that Anna has to see Bates now in prison, but I really thought he'd hang. I am SO GLAD that Richard is gone--what a despicable, awful man he is! And how awesome was it that Granny responded with "Is that a promise?" or something like that, when he said they wouldn't be meeting again!!

I also watched the "behind the scenes" and it was really neat to see the actors who played the house staff--amazing transformations, especially the head cook, Mrs. Patmore!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  1:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My hubby and I are tickled by some of the responses from "Granny" Dowager . . and that particular comment made us laugh. We enjoyed the "behind the scenes" as well. I agree, Mrs. Patmore sure did look different as herself. Some positive upturns in events!
CJ

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
you are right jonni, the finale was wonderful, and i too loved seeing the "real" people with their characters. the head cook and the fiance, former fiance of matthew were so different looking in their own makeup.
i did order house of elliott from netflix, it isnt an instant watch and i hope to get caught up in it until downton abbey returns.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  6:12:39 PM  Show Profile
All of the women were soooo beautiful in the behind the scenes. It was great to see how they all really look. Anna and Sybil are incredibly beautiful and the actor who played William was totally transformed for the part. Oh, and Mts Patmore and Mys Hughes are so very attractive.
Thank goodness, Mary doesn't have to come to America and find a Cowboy as her father suggested. Don't see them writing Sam Elliott into the Script LOL
What WILL we do until next season. Guess e'll just have to wait on the "chaise longue" with Granny
Michele

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  6:13:45 PM  Show Profile
P.S. I don't think we are rid of Richard. I still think has is somehow involved in Vera's demise
Michele

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Downton Abbey Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page