Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 New Orleans or Southern Farmgirl traditions??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New Orleans or Southern Farmgirl traditions?? Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  07:53:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for Christmas or holiday traditions from New Orleans or the south in general - specifically recipes for an open house I'm doing, but I would love to have stories of other traditions as well. Any of you all from the south and have family traditions you would like to share?
I have hoppin' john on the menu for sure because my grandma served it every New Year's - not sure where she got it because her family came to Washington from England by way of Montana, not very southern:)
Anyway - please share if you are willing and able - some of my favorite stories have come from the farmgirls!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  2:40:07 PM  Show Profile
In my husbands family (In KY-not sure if you consider it south) they have deviled eggs, broccoli casserole, and corn pudding at every get together-along with a game called corn-hole. It's a beanbag tossing game. lol

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  4:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Boiled custard, rather than eggnog, was always on the table at Thanksgiving and Christmas as was cornbread dressing, not stuffing. Country ham and biscuits for breakfast---yum-o! Grits---another good southern dish. Having lived in Louisiana--smack dab in the middle of Cajun Country---Mardi Gras would not be the same without a King Cake---complete with plastic baby doll baked inside (whomever finds the doll has to supply the next King Cake). Gumbo is always on the table in LA---no matter the holiday! Hope that gives you a little taste of the south---from someone who now lives in NY!!

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Yay - thanks to both of you. Megan - to us Washingtonians Kentucky is definitely the south:) Deviled eggs are on my list for sure - I'm not sure if I can sell the corn pudding though. And the corn-hole game sounds intriguing although we are planning on playing "Devil in the Tailor Shop" which is a spinning top game that my grandpa made in his workshop.
Portia - Gumbo is on for sure - my son and I went to New Orleans in March for a work project trip and the folks whose house we were working on made a big pot of gumbo to say thank you - so that is now part of our "must have". Since you have the New Orleans know-how - is King Cake Mardi Gras only or is it served at other times of the year?

Thank you both again - anyone else??

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  05:37:46 AM  Show Profile
amy, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, summer squash casserole, potato salad, cole slaw, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce and of course pecan pie. Willing to share any recipes with you, from a true southern lady.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  06:35:39 AM  Show Profile
I would love recipes Kim - I collect cookbooks and handwritten recipes and I love hearing the stories that go along with them.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Hoppin' John on New Years Day, and country ham and biscuits (with coarse grain mustard) for Christmas breakfast. Yes tothe cornbread dressing!

My daddy was from New Orleans, Amy Grace--though, sadly, because he was orphaned, he didn't bring many traditions with him except the food mentioned above. My southern/Nola traditions are rather macabre as the only time we visited was when someone passed away. They'd do much better at Halloween ;)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  08:36:09 AM  Show Profile
oh you're funny Jonni....
I bet a NOLA funeral was an experience!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  4:20:59 PM  Show Profile
They were really...Victorian, I guess, is how I'd describe them. When my Great Aunt Adelaide passed, we were in the other room and they stopped the grandfather clock, then hung cloth over the mirrors (so her spirit wouldn't come back through) and they sang and played music. A lot of music. Of course, she was laid out in her creaky old home in the quarter, so it seemed probably more scary than it really was :)

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  2:26:56 PM  Show Profile
I am a transplanted Louisianian from Indiana. My uncle is also from Indiana stayed here after vietnam and got married. My aunt is from here.And boy can she cook. She gave me a great snack.

Take four or five large jalopena's cut legth wise take outr seeds if you dont want hot.Cream cheese cut in thicks chunks/slices and mold in a jalopena half when done,wrap thin sliced bacon around it. Hickory smoke is good.But u can try different kinds. Oven 400 degrees put onfoil on cookie sheet In oven 10 minutes on each side if not done put on broil and watch till light brown. Let cool. Great!
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  11:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh Marlee, I LOVE those! When we make them, we make a lot because I eat and eat them, even for breakfast! LOL!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile
You are so right Caron. I loved,loved,loved them.My husband won't eat that kind of stuff. Just saves more for me!! hehehe!marlee
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:52:28 PM  Show Profile
That sounds fabulous! We had our NOLA/Southern open house - Washington state style - on New Years day. 21 people at our house - food all day, just hung out in the kitchen. My in-laws had never had most of the food before and everything was a big hit - thanks to all who shared stories and recipes. And I did get the message that King Cake is exclusive to Mardi Gras but I had already made one - oh well:)
Started cooking at 6 am - well sort of - I got up that early to put a ham in the crockpot then forgot to turn it on. Good thing I still had time for the high setting!
Anyway - made biscuits, deviled eggs, bread pudding, king cake, Turkey Gumbo, Hoppin' John, Red Beans and Rice - tons of leftovers which makes me happy too!
Happy New Year!!

Farmgirl #224

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jan 03 2012 6:59:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  07:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, sounds like you did a bang up job!!!

I meant to add that last year, my dear friend moved to NOLA for a job at Tulane University, and since I had the most "southern" connections (Huey P. Long, the Kingfish, is my father's 2nd cousin), and I cater small gatherings, I offered to cook--or rather, I was told I would be doing the cooking ;)

I made a black eyed pea dip that was outstanding, served with Red Bean and Rice chips (made by Trappeys). Also, I made jambalaya that was made with chicken, andouille and some salt ham. It was tremendous, if I do say so myself! For dessert, I made two--the ones that I recall being served at most family gatherings. Banana pudding (my pudding was homemade vanilla with the bean, and banana liquer and real layers of whipped cream) but you could easily do shortcuts, and vanilla wafers served in a trifle dish so that you could see the layers. In between the layers of pudding and whipped cream were crumbled vanilla wafers with cinnamon and brown sugar.

My second dessert, also a truly traditional NOLA dessert was a lemon ice box pie. Made similarly to a cheesecake, you literally freeze it and take off the springform pan before slicing. It was AMAZING, and out of all of the cooking, it was the most work. Hand squeezing 8-10 lemons, fresh cream, etc...but it was worth it.

For your next "NOLA gathering" if you'd like any recipes, I'd be happy to share.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Mmm- I will take you at your word Jonni. My son and I had such a meaningful trip when we went to NOLA last March for a work project - we both really felt a connection to the area and people and, of course, the food - we were staying at a church that hosted a different group of volunteers each week. The volunteers took turns cooking during their stay except for Monday which was church potluck day - the church members all brought food. That was soo good
Your recipes all sound amazing and what a gift to give your friend - a true celebration!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Carol Saucier
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Carol
Palm Bay Florida
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, grew up 28 miles from New Orleans, (never called NOLA or Nawlins then)anyway we always had some kind of green to represent folding money, blackeyed peas (not called Hoppin John in our area at that time either) for coins and pork for health. Plus oornbread dressing, ambrosia, banana pudding or bread pudding and of course pecan pie. My wonderful Mom was a terrible cook but made some awesome holiday meals. Sometimes we even had a huge baked redfish or a duck or goose for New Years.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Not sure, Carol...my dad was born in Rapides Parish in 1923, then lived in New Orleans on and off (when he said the city wasn't trying to kill him!) prior to WWII and after up until the 70's or so. I come by my food names from him and his folks. I call it Nola because it's easier to type out than the complete name. My dad also called Hoppin John "field peas". We never had poultry in the house because he killed so many as a young man that he didn't care for it, so no goose or duck. Lots of seafood, lots of rice and loads of pork, though.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jan 05 2012 11:17:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New Orleans or Southern Farmgirl traditions?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page