Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Professional Organizer? Next Topic  

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I'm going though a career change (or mid-life crisis? I guess I'm a little too young for that!)

I've been working in Human Services for the past 7 years as a receptionist and then a case manager. I didn't enjoy either one very much.

I've been working with a career coach and have narrowed down my HUGE list of possible jobs I'm interested in, to three fields. One field is (still) helping people, but not in the same capacity I was previously.

I'm interested in professional organizing but live in a fairly rural area. I'm also interested in home decorating and wondered if I could combine the two.

Anyone here have experience with professional organizing, either working as, or having someone work with you?

My plan is to start off volunteering in this area (friends/family) and taking it from there. I'm just in the research stage right now, but would love any suggestions or sharing of your ideas.

Thanks!

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile
I think professional organizing is a worthy and very much needed profession. Over 25 years ago, my friends told me I should start a business and call it Tidy Tilly's. I was always organizing the office shelves, the office kitchen, my home and everything I could get my hands on. I still do it! But at the time, the thought of professional organizing seemed so frivolous. Heck, anyone can organize, I thought to myself, and they will not pay me to do it. Well, apparently that is not true, and it is a true gift. Go for it, girl! The messy world needs you!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  3:48:33 PM  Show Profile
One of my customers does just that. She doesn't call herself a housecleaner, but a house detailer. She will clean and organize your kitchen or whatever room you want and she is extremely busy, despite the fact that she charges $25/hour! I wish I could afford to hire her, she could have a field day here after such a busy summer!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile
If you were nearby I'd hire you now. I could stay organized if someone set up the systems and told me how to use them. I'm organized with my work but in the house I'm much too scattered.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile
I have many friends who say, "I wish I could just have someone come in and do all of this for me!" Sometimes I think it takes an unbiased eye to weed out the unessential things from a persons home or office. I love to clean and organize. I have been doing just that in my kitchen and laundry room this week. I say go for it, girl!!
If you get cable or satellite TV, watch Mission Organization on HGTV- they take you step by step through the process ( in TV time, of course!)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow~thanks Girls!

I've always taken my neurotic need to organize for granted, thinking that it is a skill that everyone (or almost everyone) has. But through different work positions I've had and seeing people's homes/desks/etc., it is apparent that not everyone has these skills. I LOVE organizing and making things pretty! I have organized a past supervisor's office, a coworkers desk area, a resource library for a very disorganized older lady and of course, my own house and office space, wherever that has been...

I wish I lived close enough to "try out" my ideas on all of you! One of my sister's is letting me organize her kitchen this weekend (consultation tomorrow night, organizing/tidying on Saturday). I'll let you know how it goes (with pictures of before and after!)

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  10:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Joy, I think this is a GREAT idea! Isn't it funny how we tend to think everyone is just like us? There are lots of messies in the world who would glady pay for your help! I encourage you to go for it! Look forward to hearing about your first professional organizing experience & seeing those pictures!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  03:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rhonda! You're right, none of my talents seem particularly stellar, but when I think of other people's it seems like theirs are! I suppose it's time to start working with what God gave me instead of envying everyone else's talents. Thanks for the encouragement, I would love to share my experiences here.

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  09:34:32 AM  Show Profile
Joy, what a wonderful talent it is to create order out of chaos! Unfortunately for alot of us, it is like muscles we forget to exercise, but that is good for you. And definitely take good before and after photos so you can "organize" them (hee hee, couldn't resist!)in a portfolio to show clients. Volunteering is a good idea to start getting your name known; also, if you have county fairs, rotary clubs, organizations that hold raffles or auctions, you could donate your services as a raffle prize or auction item. If this idea works for you, the organization can give you something in writing that puts a value on your services, which might be useful at income tax time. Also, if you can put a notice in a local newsletter, hopefully for free or a small cost. Sometimes grocery stores have bulletin boards, too. Best of luck in your new endeavor! Nance
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  04:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday was my very first "job" playing at being a professional organizer. One of my sisters let me try to re-organize and clean up her kitchen cupboards. It took us about 2.5 hours to do four cupboards...It was fun! One thing I didn't think of though is a better game plan before starting to pull things out of the cupboards. In the future, I think I'll bring big boxes/totes with me that we could put like items in, and have trash bags on the ready for things that are being chucked. Overall though, it was enjoyable and I'm anxious to get my next "job". I think 4 or so unpaid jobs would give me an idea of what it would really be like, as well as a lot of reading and talking to other PO's in my area.

I tried to post the pictures from yesterday but couldn't figure it out...

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that there are other farmgirls out there who like to organizer. And I like the term "house detailer" instead of housekeeper. I've been organizing things for years. Thought I was neurotic. Everytime I clean someones house I organize. I musn't do too bad of a job because I've never had anyone call me to see where I've put something. Thank you for sharing your skills! Susan
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  08:50:21 AM  Show Profile
OK, I am the world's worst organizer. I always have things spilling out of my cupboards and drawers and bins and boxes. I need someone like you!

The thing I am most afraid of to have a professional organizer come in, is that they would just tell me to get rid of most of my "stuff"....

You know, if you haven't used it in a year, throw it away? I don't know if I can do that.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Professional Organizer? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page