Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Chicken lice and mites, and worms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken lice and mites, and worms Next Topic  

Presidio
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

christina
Alderson West Virginia
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Presidio an AOL message
What is a good natural way to rid your chickens of Chicken Lice and Scale Mites? And what is a good natural way to worm them?

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  09:28:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Christina and welcome! I think if you search through the forums, you will find a thread on this subject. I have never wormed chickens, and have no idea how you would do it. I have, however, had to de-louse chickens thanks to a couple of roosters that were given to us one year. We went the natural route and dusted all the hens, nest boxes, power washed the coop and roosts, etc. etc. only to find the little beggars were back in a week. We did this twice to no avail! After doing some research online and consulting with our veterinarian, we tried an experiment and used "Advantage", normally used for fleas on dogs and cats. The vet dosed the hens the same as you would a kitten and we set to work treating sixty birds...one drop (about .04ml) on the back of each bird. It worked like magic and we haven't had a problem since. We didn't have to clean nest boxes or roosts or anything, which was a huge job. I also have no clue how you would disinfect an area along the barn and fence where they loved to dust bath. Anyway, we haven't had a problem since and the active ingredient in Advantage is comparatively harmless.
Di
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile
We don't worm are chickens either.

Neither do we delouse them. They do take dust baths and we mix DE in their dusting places. Yes, the chickens have lice, but it doesn't seem to bother them and they die quickly if they jump on humans. I'd rather deal with a few lice than to have chemicals in my birds and eggs.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  09:18:27 AM  Show Profile
When I was at Farm Fair, I had an opportunity to talk to Mary Jane about the chickens and she told me that her coop gets a thorough cleaning every week because she is cautious of parasites. She also suggessted a powder supplement for their feed that is called worm gaurd and is from mcmurry hatchery on-line. It has a number of things including ground flax and diatomatious(sp?) earth to help kill the parasites. You just have to protect yourself from breathing it in while adding it to the food. I haven't gotten any yet, but intend to do so.

We dusted our goats with the diat. earth last year and it worked great. Also dusted under their bedding for a few weeks. No problems since then.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Presidio
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

christina
Alderson West Virginia
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Presidio an AOL message
I've thought about getting that Diatomious (or however it is spelled) Earth, but I'm arrfaid it may not be safe. If you or your animals get any in your lungs, will that not do a lot of harm?
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Chickens can get Lice so bad that it will weaken their immune system. They suck blood from there bodies so Lice and other parasite should be taken seriously. I have seen birds with lice so bad that they almost died.I got a pair of cornish form a man that didn't want them anymore. They were so bad I gave them a bath and sprinkled them with DE. We use DE in their liter and a bit in their food.A week later I repeated the bath. It does help quite a bit. You have to keep the coops clean and dry.
Our vet recommended to use advantage also. For really bad cases we use this. I use a mask with the DE but my hubby doesn't( I have sensitive lungs)and never had problem with the birds around it.
For scaley legs we coat the legs with vasaline. It smoothers the mites.We did that after the bath.The birds look so much better now that we have had them a few months.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams

Edited by - LadyCrystal on Aug 28 2006 4:19:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Presidio
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

christina
Alderson West Virginia
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Presidio an AOL message
I had recently found a chicken on the side of the road. I picked her up after she had been there for about three days. There had been a storm so she must have gotten lost. We've had her for about a month now and I noticed that she has picked all the scales off her feet. Due to mites, perhaps? I believe so, but I'm fairly new to chickens and from what I've read about mites no one has mentioned the chicken picking off their scales. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I would love to revisit the topic of scaly leg mites. We have been trying to rid our girls of them all summer and fall! We have had chickens for many years, but never had to deal with this. We have tried all the tried and true suggestions but to no avail. Now we are trying a natural product called Scaly Leg Mite Protector. Its nice but I'm tired of cleaning and spraying their legs NIGHTLY. Any other suggestions out there??? Thanks! Dena
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  07:01:50 AM  Show Profile
Like some of the other farmgirls, I also use DE for my chickens to dust in.

In fact, I use DE for all my animals. I sprinkle a bit on their food for the purpose of a natural worming. I dust it directly on the skin of my dogs and cats for the control of fleas.

I sprinkle it on fire ant piles to kill the ants. Sprinkle it around baseboards inside my home for the control of pests.

Please note: It must be the food grade type of DE and not the pool filter type of DE. The pool filter type has been heated and chemically treated and will not work. There are many online companies that sell food grade DE in small quantities/ by the pound. But, I feel the prices are too high. It's much more economical to buy a bulk bag from your feed store.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2014 :  08:45:20 AM  Show Profile
my grandpa told me many years ago to put my woodash in a pile in the coop for them to dustbath in for mites/lice and any other bugs, they will dust in it and the ash smothers them, works like a charm...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls. I've been off the forum for many months due to moving & illnesses & so on, but glad to be back.

I Do have a "problem" with our one pet chicken. One night, when I went out to put her in her little coop (safe from nighttime nasties)' I noticed she was running in circles. Bumping into the walls & the fence. She finally made it into my arms, where I held her for several long minutes while she purred (growled?). I checked her all over, & didn't see any bugs nor blood, so I didn't know what happened. I Held her still, in her nest, until she settled down & fell asleep. My neighbor said she might have bumped her head & was dealing with a concussion or my daughter suggested something may have scared her 'eggless'.

Has anybody else had this? She was ok the next morning when I went out to open her coop. She seems to be ok after several days, but it has me a littled worried.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  6:22:54 PM  Show Profile
GARLIC AND CAYENNE to chickens.,,,it takes care of any worms, mites, and lice....good for humans too....

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
http://thecontentedwomannow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken lice and mites, and worms Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page