Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sour Dough Starter Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  8:02:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying the Sour Dough Starter from MaryJane's Idea Book. After finding an old thread on here I wonder if I have made a mistake...I've never made sour dough before!

I'm using an old glass pickle jar and a tea towel on top. I didn't realize organic flour made all the difference so just bought the regular King Arthur whole wheat flour. I've been using bottled water...but cold from the fridge. Anyway, I'm on day five of it and it has bubbles and seems to be growing but it stinks...maybe kind of like vinegar but kind of like throw up (sorry if it's TMI!). Before I feed it it seems to have a layer of clear water on top. Am I doing anything right or did I ruin it? Can you get sick from bad starter?!
-Elizabeth

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  03:46:39 AM  Show Profile
finding answers on other sourdough thread is a bit daunting. What I read so far is that if it doesn't get mold, red or black, you're ok.
Temperature is really important. I would keep your h2o on the counter, because things grow better in warm water.
I am using organic flour, and I got SOME rise the first week. That was before I read about how it's a good idea to make a quick breadish recipe like waffles or pancakes your first weeks.

I bumped an index of recipes from that thread for those of us who are starting later.

The only other factor in your mother that I can see would be the clear container.?

It's supposed to stink. I thought for sure mine was wrong because it was smelly......but I got some rise. I am so proud of that little bit of rise. It's enough to keep me going!!!!

Good luck, Elizabeth! I'll keep bumping good info I find in the Sourdough thread.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:33:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you bumped all those Trish - that thread is definitely a little daunting just starting from scratch.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Dec 20 2011 06:34:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile
If your starter smells like vinegar it has gone bad. I took a sourdough class and here is what they said:

"The sourdough starter is alive and needs to be fed to be kept alive. For the most part you will have to learn what it looks like in each stage. When you first feed your starter it should only take a short time for it to start digesting the flour you gave it. When it does, the starter will start to bubble on top. As the starter consumes the flour the bubbles get smaller until there are no bubbles. At that point it will start to separate a little. At this point it isn't necessarily bad, but probably isn't strong enough to make bread. But don't worry, all you need to do is give it a few feedings and it will be strong as ever. If the starter smells sweet it is good but if it has a vinegar smell it is starting to go bad or is bad.
What to do if your starter gets sick?:
Just as when you are sick or have a tummy ache, we wouldn't eat a big steak dinner. So when your sourdough is sick it has a hard time digesting whole wheat flour. It will need something a little easier on the tummy, white flour. Just use white flour for 1-5 feedings, depending on how sick it is. The sooner you catch it, the less times you need to give it white flour and the sooner it will get better. If you are not using it just pour off all but 1 cup before feedings. This is called washing your starter. On the last feeding of white flour, don't pour off any and give a 2 cup feeding and this will bring up the energy level of your atarter."

Hope this helps!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  8:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your wisdom! After this thread and an e-mail, I have purchased some white flour and will be feeding my starter that until it gets better. I'm excited to try a recipe from it soon! Thank you all so much - I knew I could count on all of you!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sour Dough Starter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page