Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  1:24:51 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be able to prepare some meals ahead each week. Does anyone have any good suggestions for meals that freeze well?

~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~
Mother Teresa

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Good post Kim. I'll be looking at the answers myself. We usually prepare things like chile, and taco meat in abundance and then I freeze the extra for future meals. I have also been known to make lasagna and a baked ziti that go in the freezer. I didn't have time Thanksgiving to fix soup and or turkey pot pies but I did cook the carcass, shred the meat then froze the broth and meat in gallon baggies which I hope to bring out and finish the soup or pot pies with.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

HLB
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Heather
South Portland ME
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  6:18:05 PM  Show Profile
I really feel like I have to jump on this, too. As a single, a renter with little space, and a person whose job sometimes runs over my life, I am trying to come up with simple, good, inexpensive and meals, that are as ethical as possible. There are sources for non-industrial meat around here, but economics dictate less meat as better, and I am tired of PBJ.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Heather, when I was single in a little apartment and very limited income, I made up a ton a bean burritos and froze them individually and could either reheat them in the microwave or the oven depending if I was at work or at home.
Flour tortillas, refired beans, salsa and some shredded cheese~ roll them up tight and freeze!

If I were single now (with all my culinary skills greatly increased) I would make up a turkey or chicken and save the meat for making up all sorts of to go meals, making soup stock for future soups and all that. It wouldn't take that much time or money to do that. One bird would go a long way for a single gal! You can also freeze rice to throw in those soups you make up too!

For families, I found a great book called FIX, FREEZE and FEAST that I've used several recipes out of for our family. I think it's a great resource. They utilize a lot of ingredients you would primarily find like at Costco or Sam's.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  06:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas! Audrey, I love the idea of making the potpies and saving the broth. I wish I would have thought of it this past Thanksgiving:) I think the burritos would be a great snack idea for my kids too -- thank you April. I am going to check Amazon later for the book.

Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  08:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Kim, have you ever heard of Ree Drummond, the "Pioneer Woman"? She has a few casserole type things that make up and freeze nicely, as she recommends. One is called Chicken Spaghetti--I've made that several times, especially when I was expecting our little one and thought, "there's no way this momma is going to want to come up with dinner!" and it was great.

Also, lasagna, enchiladas (without sauce--add that when you get ready to bake). I also keep a ton of frozen mashed potatoes on hand to make shepherds pie with, or simply mashed potatoes. Boil potatoes and make as you would with cream, butter and seasoning, cool, then put into freezer bags. All the goodness of mashed potatoes without the time.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  06:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, what great ideas! I can't wait to check out the chicken spaghetti and try freezing the mashed potatoes. Thank you:)

Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  07:22:50 AM  Show Profile
I second the Fix, Freeze, Feast book. When we are getting ready to enter a sports season, I stock up the freezer with the various meals from the cookbook so I have easy meals on crazy nights. So far, we haven't found anything in it that the family didn't like.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  08:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Check out this site, too: http://onceamonthmom.com/

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  10:48:37 AM  Show Profile
I also freeze biscuits; they are a quick stand in for a pot pie base - gravy, veggies and meat go on top. They are also good for breakfast. For breakfasts I have frozen breakfast burritos, egg sandwiches on English muffins, and breakfast casseroles cut into pieces. For dinner, soups freeze well. I also freeze "burrito mix" which is ground beef mixed with beans, onions, peppers and spices. I also make individual hamburger patties and keep frozen buns so we can have quick burgers. Sloppy joes freeze good too.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  2:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow ladies we all think a like.

I also am now on my own - sons are grown and I have the issue of making too much and never wanting to see it again. So for each dish I make there is an automatic one more or two dinner but here are a few I do on purpose:
I make french toast and freeze in a single layer and then bag - great in the toaster with all types of toppings
I love making egg drop soup with broth from turkeys and chickens I roast and place the bones and goodies in the crock pot to cook while I am busy.
I also purchase buffalo (ground) in large quanities and crumble it up and fry with onions. Then I package them up in double serving sizes so I can make quick meals by adding different sauces and veggies.
I also buy CornBeef (organic) and cook it in the pressure cooker - cool and slice and wrap into double servings that way I can make corn beef and cabbage any time and also corn beef hash with eggs and potatoes.
I do the same with organic local Italian Sausage - crumble and fry then package up - that way I can make pizza, any Italian meal in a matter of minutes.

I do all this with purchasing local meats from sources I know and believe in - that way you are not stuck and eat those factory meats..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  09:15:36 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple recipes we like. One is a chicken enchilada verde and the other is a spinach pasta dish. The enchiladas makes four 9x13 pans worth then your freeze away. The pasta makes 4 9x9 dishes then freeze. Both you can take out and thaw for the day then cook for 30-40 min. They are pretty good but you need the pans to be able to do it, so it has some upfront costs. I have the recipes at home and could write them in if anyone would like to go to the trouble.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  10:47:46 AM  Show Profile
I love the Make A Mix cook books for quick and easy freezer meals. Last month I used the "chicken" mix and canned it instead of freezing it due to space issues. But I can pull it out and add a couple of ingredients and have dinner in a flash! I have an order of ground beef coming in Monday, so Tuesday I will be making several hamburger "mixes" to put up- they are wonderful frozen, but I am going to bottle mine.

For general purposes.... i always make double meatloaf batches and freeze the extras. I took an idea from another farmgirl and keep a tub in the freezer for lefovers (veggies, meat chunks, etc) and when it gets full- make soup. I freeze smaller portions of lasagna. I also keep smaller containers and freeze leftover soups for quick lunches at home or to put in Dh's lunchbox.

I made up several quick mix batches for the cupboard, add water or egg and there's dough for creating. I try not to fill up my freezers with things I can quickly make from the pantry.

I like the versatility of have the main ingredients already cooked... hamburger, chicken, beans, etc. and then only having to add something to make it quick. Rather than, having complete meals put together ahead of time, but that's just me. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  3:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I make and freeze lasagna so we can just pull it out and defrost. You can also make lost of hearty things like chilis, beef stew, or even spaghetti sauce.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  5:02:48 PM  Show Profile
I try to do this...when I get going, I usually have my 2 crockpots & something on the stove & in the oven going. Then my next challenge is to find enough containers to put everything in & labelling! (Don't forget to label!!!)

I made lasagna spirals which were really good, I have Stone Soup (aka hamburger soup from work), and some cran-apple sage pork chops. I need to get making other things too. Thanks for the good ideas ladies!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  5:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Look in the freezer section at your local grocery store. If they can freeze it, so can you.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  07:54:02 AM  Show Profile
Girls I can't thank you enough for all your great ideas! I am starting to plan out my week now and hopefully will have a freezer full of good meals soon:)))

Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile
When my husband worked a 2nd shift for 3 yrs I decided that I would do a huge baking,cooking each sunday so not to waste electricity & oven room...My favorite has always been to make a large batch of meatloaf, a huge roast with vegs & pork ribs...I can fit all of that in the oven at one time plus when some of it comes out throw in a cake,apple crisp or muffins. I would divide it all up once it cooled into containers with lids & set them in the coldest part of the frig stacked on each other for him.this way I could grab it each day for him, add fruit & a drink as well & off he would go with a healthy meal..Well it worked so well I decided to keep up this idea after he was laid off so that I didn't have to cook all week but could plan out everything on sunday morning...with the winter I can use the wood cook stove for chili, soups, stews & the regular oven for breads, mixed vegs ideas & meatloaf....I always try to cook things I know will get better with time & not dry out either.I like the idea of doing it all at once & then when its time to eat we can have different things that are already made & also have lunchs ready as well...makes it easier & cheaper in the long run...one day of oven/stove use instead of everyday....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  07:02:00 AM  Show Profile