melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  2:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Happens every time...just when we get down to the wire-Tree finally up, baking just begun, presents needing to be wrapped and I end up with Christmas blues.

Holiday melodies and hymns trigger it mostly, plus the lack of sunlight here up in the Great North Woods. I know it will pass but its hard on the rest of the family too. I have it bad this year.

Any other gals suffer with this?

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Dec 19 2011 9:02:28 PM

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  2:58:58 PM  Show Profile
yes..i had a really bad case the year i lived up there- i thought it was cuz 1st Christmas away from my kids after divorce....

sometimes you have to just allow it to happen...sending you a hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I have it horrible this year. With the usual seasonal depression it was all compounded by the death of my puppy back in November and now I can't even listen to Christmas music at all. No decorations have been put up this year and no baking done. Been doing nothing but crying. Can't wait until Spring!

Hang in there! This too will pass.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  4:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Poor Audrey :( you need a new puppy-child.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  7:35:11 PM  Show Profile
I have it bad this year. I don't know why I am so homesick this year, but I am. I think maybe because we are stationed somewhere that is close enough for me to go home, but we are just staying here. It is just me, my husband, and my daughter. I am used to the holidays being surrounded by all sorts of family and friends. So I am lonely. That and it was 50 degrees today and there still is no snow. It is hard for me to get into the holiday spirit with no snow!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  8:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Hugs to everyone! It's seems to be an epidemic this year. I was really in the spirit, bonding with my family, coping with the loss of cherished decorations in creative, fun, frugal ways. But then my ex-husband had to rear his ugly head via his live-in girlfriend and try an play Daddy for the first time in three years. My two oldest kids (he was their donor) have spent most of their lives not knowing him, and he has the gall to send a gift package out of the blue. Way to confuse them!! And it ruined what was finally turning into a simple, quiet, homemade holiday. I have fought for years for this kind of Yuletide, and then he crawls back out of the woodwork with his hyper-consumerism and his dollar store crap. GRRRR! I have been bitter about it for a week, and as a result the stockings have yet to be made, and half my baking has been left by the wayside. My kitchen is even dirty!! But, before I run out of time, I know my stubborn self will kick it into gear and refused to let him have another victory over me, and Mama Bear will save the holiday! Any day now... And I am with Woolgirl: WHERE'S MY SNOW??

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  03:59:34 AM  Show Profile
i was god for a while but yeah, me too. I get this way a bit every year but if it just passed by as another day I would be fine with that. want to go see my mom and sisters but don't know if i can find the money
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:06:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by woolgirl

I have it bad this year. I don't know why I am so homesick this year, but I am. I think maybe because we are stationed somewhere that is close enough for me to go home, but we are just staying here. It is just me, my husband, and my daughter. I am used to the holidays being surrounded by all sorts of family and friends. So I am lonely. That and it was 50 degrees today and there still is no snow. It is hard for me to get into the holiday spirit with no snow!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl

liz-where IS home? im sorry that you feel this way this year! hugs!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:08:19 AM  Show Profile
and i agree that audrey- you need a new puppy!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, I'm with you about loosing your dog and just not being into Christmas.. I didn't decorate my fence and house.. My best friend came up a couple of days after Vegas died, and she got all my Christmas decorations out and we put up the tree.. I've made a few things.. I find that baking keeps my mind off of everything.. but, the Christmas tree reminds me of so much stuff.. I just start to cry too.. It seems I cry getting eggs, feeding cows, riding my horse.. just everything Vegas used to do with me..

I'm not ready for another dog but if you are, I'd do it.

Hang in there!
if you need me let me know.. we can cry together!

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  07:42:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Penny Wise

yes..i had a really bad case the year i lived up there- i thought it was cuz 1st Christmas away from my kids after divorce....

What she said.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  10:19:59 AM  Show Profile
This time of year it is so easy to get depressed. All the exectations Christmas brings along with the reminiscing, clutter, relatives (good and bad).. all roll into one depressing snowball. I try and focus on plans for the New Year and keep busy. Very busy. I know this year its been great to read the forum and get involved in the swaps.

Thinking of you all this Christmas -- farmgirl hugs!

~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~
Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  2:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all who responded to my post. I'm a bit better today, but yeah, I find the tears roll all too frequently. It's almost the more I cry... the more I cry...

We don't have any other fur babies in the house right now and I think that's why I'm all set to get a new love. Miss having someone follow me around (DH hasn't done that in years, lol). But we can't get one for a couple of months and darn it! I want one now!

The sun is out today and that helps big time! It seems to bring "hope" with it and that's lacking on cloudy days.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  7:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I've been a little sad. I never have until I lost my younger brother to a drunk driver on Mother's day three years ago and then 10 months later my younger sister to cancer. I just miss them. I stay busy and thank God for my many blessings. Y'll stay strong and Merry Christmas.

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  8:05:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad other people are feeling this way. I've always been the one to fight for Christmas in my house. Most years my husband tries to avoid it entirely, I keep after him, and we end up doing everything at the last minute (tree, baking, presents, getting the house ready). But I usually love it anyway--I take what joy I can. But this year, I just can't do it.

Maybe it's all the deaths in the family--two grandparents that I was very close to died earlier in the year, and my last remaining grandmother just passed Sunday morning, as did an old friend of my husband's family.

Maybe it's his PTSD--it's been an emotional roller coaster around here since April.

And maybe it's the fact that we're both out of work (me unemployed, him on long term disability). So we can't do presents at all this year for our nieces, nephews, parents. We tried to do a little shopping today for each other, and we both had to leave the mall exhausted with nothing.

Plus, friends keep calling with last minute plans, last minute get togethers as they come into town to spend the holidays with family. That's fun, but it all takes time, energy, and money (for drinks, for lunch, etc.)

No matter how I look at it, Christmas is just going to suck this year. In the long run, I know it doesn't really matter. But thanks for giving me an opportunity to vent!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  05:37:02 AM  Show Profile
WOW I thought it was just me. I have so much to be thankful for - my sons quick recovery from his stroke before Thanksgiving and his celebrating his birthday Monday but I all to quickly slip into such a funk that it is a full time, night and day job to find reasons to think positive. Heck I am doing to just saying "I am breathing" but even that brings the statement in my head "So What - Why with all the mess in my life"? This is the first time in so long I have felt this way and so I am hope to soon the universe will pull this all back from around me and show me a sign as to WHY I Carry On......

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  4:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Nope me too...all my kiddos are all over everywhere except home, this Christmas. My oldest daughter is on deployment off he coast of Somalia, my son is back in PA as is my youngest, and my middle daughter is in NYC! Couple that with the fact, that we are living in a new state, and I know so few people. Plus with the lack of money due to paying a mortgage on our old house and rent in our new place, it has been hard to get myself into the season. I did manage to decorate a bit, and it is *S*N*O*W*I*N*G* so I think I am finally in the mood!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  9:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, if you need some family I'm an hour or so away. It has been a hard Christmas this year. My brother has stage 4 cancer and because my SIL does not like me I cannot see him or talk to him right now until he is stronger. I lost my job in October and I am trying to keep a smile on for the kids. All I want to do is crawl in bed and sleep till someone calls me with a job. I sew, check the web, do some Farmville, try to do things with the kids and my DH but to no real avail, I still am just like a zombie. Maybe this is how the zombie appocolypse starts?

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile
"Maybe this is how the zombie appocolypse starts?"

Judy! You cut through my black fog and actually made me laugh! You're right though most days I feel like a zombie, just going through the motions. It's bad when you know you're depressed but you don't want to do anything about it because you just don't care!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  1:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I've got the blues this Christmas too, but I think it's due to having a bad cold and no energy at all to enjoy the usual things. I can't smell or taste anything, so I'm just having a pity party

Sending warm hugs and wishes for happiness to all of you!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Make eggnog not war!

Joyeux Noel!!!

'Nollaig shona duit!'

Happy Christmas!

May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  2:18:28 PM  Show Profile

I think that once in a while, everyone is entitled to a "get out of Christmas" pass to take a break from the obligatory mayhem.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  04:20:47 AM  Show Profile
sounds like lots of us just are tired of the drain of money and time and the expectations that are supposed to be Christmas. I know I am
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  05:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Also sounds like many of us have very challenging situations that would make anyone depressed . . .but, we are all strong women and we will pull through like always. What's the other choice?

But, my prayers, kind thoughts and zombie chants are with you all!!

See you on the other side of Christmas!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  06:45:05 AM  Show Profile
One issue I have is the lack of sleep... If I get three hours I count myself so very lucky. This has been going on for years and I know it is and has taken it tole... Also I think if we are honest with what we are feeling and what we would rather be doing then all the commercial hype that is force feed us we would celebrate differently and with our full hearts instead of mind whirling panic.

Aleee I agree the zombies are growing in numbers. If you get a chance read my blog enter for Thursday about "The Fog" - you and I think so much a like...

Find joy in the things that matter to you not everyone else.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Christmas Blues? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page