Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 miserable cold day with a colicking horse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic miserable cold day with a colicking horse Next Topic
Page: of 2

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary,I do appreciate the healing thoughts and kind words,we're doing alright and Raven says she wants to wait a little while before getting another horse,losing Missy was hard for her,she has an older horse who has navicular and is no longer rideable so we had high hopes for that little mare to kind of take his place and she was doing so well in her training.
I'm keeping my eyes open for another horse that will be suitable for her though not in a big hurry just yet,she likes riding my big dressage gelding and so I loan her to him for rides,maybe I might just give her Red entirely and look for another horse for myself,I've been kicking that idea around too.
Thanks again for the sweet words,we'll get this girl going with another horse fairly soon.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  08:10:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your little Missy. I remember when my horse died. I was upset for a very long time. That was 20 some odd years ago. If I knew then what I know now, there would have been hell to pay on the part of the vet and receptionist. But that is water under the bridge. Since then, this vet was taken to the boards twice...once for abusing a puppy before the puppy was neutered (too long of a story) and once for not going out on an equine emergency. He claimed, with the horse, that he had never seen that particular horse and refused to come out, even though the owner had a sack of coggins test papers for that horse an inch thick with his name on it. I will never go to that vet for anything ever again.

Once again. I am sorry for your loss.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Lorie it sure is hard when a horse dies,I've lost several through the years as I've had horses all my life,I think the one that has stuck with me most was my twenty year old Thoroughbred,he was a big 17.2 HH bay and just about the best horse I've ever had and when we put him down I was just beside myself,we had done so much together and if I didn't have Red at the time I might have quit horses altogether with the way that I felt at the time.
I'm sorry to hear about your vet troubles,I have a wonderful vet who always does his best for my horses and is also so willing to teach me whenever he's working on my horses,he's a real old timer and has been involved in the rodeo circuit,the racetrack and then been a mobile vet for so many years and is about the friendliest guy I know,a good vet is worth thier weight in gold but there are some out there who can be very arrogant and neglectful,I've heard alot of horror stories and am so glad to know that when I call my vet I can be sure he'll do his best for my horse to whatever end there is.
We experience so many things with horses,we can have moments of glory with them and moments of miserable heartsick and disaster,it's just a hell of a thing sometimes that things can change so fast and they can be gone so quick.

Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about the loss of your horse. I lost one myself to what the vet guessed was sand colic last summer. He didn't start showing symptoms until it was too late to do anything. It's never easy.

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  07:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Jo thank you for your thoughts, sand colic is terrible,it's one of the most prevalent types around here and can be so hard to resolve,in this mare's case we had managed to clear out most of her impaction but she developed a secondary infection,the peritonitis and that's what actually did her in,it was really sad.
I feed psyllium but my vet said that doing so sometimes gives horse owners a false sense of security because it's only about twenty percent effective at removing sand,it is good though for horses because it feeds the intestinal flora but as far as removing sand,it's not as good as it's hyped up to be and my vet says preventing it by feeding off the ground and not allowing a horse to go onto close cropped pastures are much more effective.
I'm sorry to hear about your horse too,it can come on real suddenly,before it was evident that this mare was colicking she just had a mild scour,sand colic can really get the drop on a person.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic miserable cold day with a colicking horse Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page