Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What's the difference between
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What's the difference between Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile
ml and cc? I seem to only have ml syringes here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  10:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Kris: ml refers to milliliters and cc refers to cubic centimeters. It's got something to do with metric converting.
I'm sure the other farmgirls knowing the exact answer will come in and explain. That"s all I know about it.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  1:00:18 PM  Show Profile
I can't tell you either, except that if it calls for one measurement and you use the other, it can make the differance between not enough, and wayyyy to much, either way it could prove to be disasterous...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile
1 ml=1cc They are the same.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:19:32 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking they might be the same but why be so confusing? On Fiasco Farm's goat worming page they say to either give 1 ml per 50 lbs or 1cc per 34 lbs. That's for Ivermec. Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:34:19 PM  Show Profile
1 ml=15 drops=1 cc
1 tsp=1 gram=5 cc
1 Tbsp=1/2 oz.=15 cc
2 Tbsp=1 oz.=30 cc
1 pint=16 oz.=480 cc
I hope this helps.
If you're deworming with Ivermectin I just want to say that I don't take the advice on fias co farm or other goat advisers who tell you to give the injectable Ivermectin orally,there's alot of research and goat deaths suggesting that to give the injectable as an oral medication causes rapid worm die off that causes them to detach from the gut lining leaving spongy little holes leading to internal bleeding,also the longer absorption time from a subQ injection leads to longer duration of effectiveness.
There are alot of people who use injectable Ivermectin orally and do okay but I don't fool around with it after researching it and seeing some of these internal bleeds so I play it safe and give it as a subQ injection,I don't know what you have planned but just wanted to let you know,I don't go by real black and white rules but it worries me enough that I don't give it orally as some goat owners do and advise.
I hope all this helps.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:37:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm not saying that the lady on fias co farm is wrong,just that there are some things I would do differently,otherwise that site is great for information,just wanted to say that in case anyone gets me wrong and thinks the site isn't reliable,I think it's a great site,there's just been new evidence suggesting against giving injectable ivermectin orally as she once advised on this site and might still.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4239 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4239 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  04:13:22 AM  Show Profile
I thought they were the same as well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  05:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kathryn. But that's the only way I have ever given it to the goats. I always alternate wormers too. I will use Cydectin next.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:20:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm a former vet tech. ml and cc are used interchangeably (sp?). What you should be concerned of is how many milligrams (mgs) there are per cc or ml. Then figure your dosage from there.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
Is Abby doing okay,are you deworming her or doing all of them?
I don't think giving the orally is wrong,I know alot of people do it and I've done it myself for a long time,I think alot of the problems relate to how large the worm load is,I think a goat would have to have a hell of a worm load to die this way but it can happen and then on the other hand we also pose risks of shock whenever we poke a needle in an animal so maybe the risks are the same and we're just rolling the dice in any case,that's why I don't see anything as black or white,right or wrong because there are so many variations and all of them work or don't depending on individual circumstances and animals.
I hope Abby is doing well,you said she wasn't seeming too well and not eating regularly,I hope she comes around for you.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  2:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lorena. Now how do I calculate? I am horrible with math. Hate it. But if I know how I can probably figure it out somehow.

Kathryn, Abby seems to be better today. I just got home awhile ago and she was hanging over the fence waiting for me. I had some grapes my mom sent them so she ate a bunch of them. Then I brought her and Sandy into the milkroom and she ate some sheep feed. She seems to want it now.She likes everybody elses feed now. Chickens too. Go figure. I think she's trying to see how much she can get away with before I think she's ok.

I usually only worm once a year a day after the kid. So without really knowing IF she needed it really, I was just trying things to see what would work for her. I don't think it would hurt to worm them since it has been so wet and crappy this winter and fall. And the Bcomplex shots seemed to help too. She's not eating like she used to yet, but eating anything right now is a good thing. I don't want her to get too thin if she is pregnant. I want healthy kids. I know when I gave her the shot of vitamins yesterday, she could not walk too good for a little bit. Kind of scared me. Anyway, she is the most aggravating goat I have ever had but I do love her and would miss her terribly if she was not here. I could never ever sell her. Or Sandy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Kris I use to use the ivomec orally but had bad side effects and my friend lost 2 last year to this. I am now using it as an ijectable at 1cc for every 100 lbs and then I do it again in 10 days. I do the shot Subcue. Thats what my vet recomended. I worm my goats at least twice a year but this past year I had to do it way more.With all the rain and wet hot weather I have really had a time with the worms.
Hope she improves and starts feeling better.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I think I will probably not use it again after this. It's just all I had at the time and wanted to do it right away. Abby is almost back to her normal old head buttin' self. I think I might have hit a nerve or something the other day when I gave her that last B shot. I hope she'll be ok because of that. Darn, I don't like sick animals but it happens. And I have to do what I can with what I have here most of the time. It's kind of lean times right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Kris I am so glad she is better! You may have hit a nerve that can sure happen but it straightens up pretty fast. I hate sick animals too it drives me crazy especially when I don't know whats wrong with them. Hard to always know how to treat them. We just do the best we can do and hope for the best. I am just relieved for you she is doing better. Your a good goat mama.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Lord, it's been 12 years since I've had to figure a dosage. I tried to do a sample one for you but wasn't sure if my sample would have been "correct" if you will so I didn't post that. Anyway, you can get your vet to do a fecal count and tell you what you paracite load is. It's what they're trying to promote in horses so that they get the right medicine for the right type and amount of paracite load you have in your goats.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Ivermec only kills certain paracites. If your worming with one or two wormers a year, you may not be getting all the different types. So do please consult your vet.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What's the difference between Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page