Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 12/29/11: What are you doin' this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic 12/29/11: What are you doin' this week? Next Topic
Page: of 3

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

Countdown to Christmas is on! What are you doin' today?

For me, topping my list is finishing my Christmas cards, and getting them out. I keep thinking it is expensive for all that postage, but can't seem to drop them. It is a tradition I just want to hang on to, especially since it is the only time I get to keep up with some folks who are not on the computer/Facebook.

Next is to do some wrapping and more baking. What are you gals up to today?

Farmgirl Hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Dec 29 2011 07:19:45 AM

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Nicole,
It's hard NOT to send the cards and letters. I still do quite a bit of it because I just enjoy it! And pray that the recipient does as well! Personally, I'm working at my job (caregiver) today and tomorrow, 10 hr. shifts. But I'll be "making my list and checking it twice" for the rest of the week!
Have a fun day today farmgirls . . . less than a week before Christmas!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Dec 19 2011 06:37:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
I was going to still teach lessons and do some homeschooling today, but hubby suggested that I take this week off to just play with the boys. So, I let the parents know that I won't be teaching again until January and we told the boys we're just doing Christmas stuff this week.

Today, we're finishing up some Christmas gifts for Anthony's work. Hot chocolate and peppermint stirrers and then off to Trader Joe's. Definitely need to get some of those chocolate covered oreos. After that, some cuddle time in front of the tree which is to include reading together, hot chocolate and most importantly, those oreos!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  07:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh lots to finish up and lots to start! Lets see I am now cleaning the dining room to get ready for Christmas Eve. Have to do some shopping today, wrapping and probably start baking! Whew!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile
I myself am kinda freakin' out..so much to do and so little time! But I love it- love this time of the year...tonight Natalie and I will be taking the neighbors their Christmas goodies, have already taken the cookies to them earlier this month, so last night and tonight we will deliver Chicken Noodle soup and home made bread! A little sewing left to get done this week- but in my home sewing is NEVER done...Merry Christmas Farmgirl Sisters
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Glaedelig jul! (was that even close?)Nicole!!

Baking, baking, baking, baking, baking, wrapping, baking, sending things off UPS, baking, baking, taking a small trip to the wine and cheese shop, baking, baking.....LOL!!! 'tis the season!

I have an ovenful of tiny chocolate cakes, and the house smells wonderful!

Wishing you a joyful Christmas, Nicole!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Make eggnog not war!

Joyeux Noel!!!

'Nollaig shona duit!'

Happy Christmas!

May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile
I am fortunate to have a new job this year (one of the reasons I've been absent for the forum for quite a while) and now that the dust has settled I can begin to enjoy some of the perks - such as the fact that I have the next two weeks off - paid vacation - amazing to me after the last 20 years of my life in retail when Christmas was the busiest time. So - today, after I make my last grocery shopping list for the week, and plan my baking for later in the week, my son, his girlfriend, my parents and I are all helping cook and serve dinner for a local homeless program - this is such a gift for me, in years past I have put so many hours in at work that I barely had the energy to do anything for my family, let alone something like this.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Wendy, Good for you for taking the time off. Enjoy the season with your boys. Mine isn't old enough yet to do that with.

I'm working this morning and then off to the post office this afternoon for last minute shipping. Then I get to sit back and enjoy the music and season.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Working! Then once we get home and get the chores done, I'll be baking up some of those spiced almonds from a previous issue of Mary Jane's magazine to put in canning jars with some shortbread cookies on top for co-workers. I'm dying to stitch up a Christmas handbag, but not sure I'll be able to squeeze it in.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  4:04:03 PM  Show Profile
I have been redoing a desk for my GD it is one my brother made in I think junior high shop. So I thought a good way to keep in the family for a while longer.

It matches her paint in her room.
I like it.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  4:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Laundry! Our washer broke early in December (along with the car, the dog and the cat--also broken), but those things came first. So, today I'm at my mom's on my first day of a week's vacation and I decided to do some much needed laundry before the holiday.

I did do a little shopping, but I absolutely detest the week before Christmas for shopping--the people are just so mean and hateful and you don't see one smile on a face, anywhere. When you're nice to someone, they look at you like you have three heads. Being nice actually put me in a bad mood!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile
I hear you Jonni - I almost got rundown in a crosswalk by a pedestrian - everybody seems to have that crazed "I live in a bubble get out of my way" look on their face.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  6:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Want to hear a funny? I haven't even started shopping, and everyone is coming to our house of Christmas Eve. Ha! I don't even care..no, really! I always wait until the last minute. Merry Christmas!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  05:29:20 AM  Show Profile
WOW! We farmgirls are a busy bunch. Did not get everything on my to-do list done yesterday (something unforeseen always happens, it seems). Got most of the Christmas Cards done. Gonna finish them, today. Thank you, Ceejay...you are absolutely right. I am happily sending them out! :)

Annika: :) Tak! Gladlig Jul!!! Love ya, darlin'!

Wendy: You inspired me yesterday and I carved a little extra cuddle time to read in front of the tree with Audrey. It was so nice.

Now for today's list! Gotta finish those cards, get to the post office, wrap some presents...oh and drop off jam presents to the neighbors! Then maybe the baking. What are you all up to today?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  05:50:41 AM  Show Profile
last nite finished the last of the crafting/sewing so today i have two presents to wrap-easy peasy- would have done it last nite but too laZy to find the tape! so that will finish that!

i mailed off the last yesterday that will reach anyone by Christmas-for years and years i sent hundreds ofcards-each year i pare down the list and each year i add a few new folk...this year, the spirit is there but the list is quite simple...if i receive a card from a farmgirl sister and dont reciprocate it's cuz i just don't have the strength right now!but i receive your card in love and enjoy the thought!i keep cards each year and enjoy looking back on them..i should use them for some craft por another but i dont!!!

today's to do is to bake.....i have all the trappings-the Rubbermaid (about 13 X 9 )containers, the ribbons, the fancy lil cupcake paper cups to hold nuts- i cheated and bought planters pumpkin spiced almonds and Indiana popcorn factory choclate covered popcorn...i'll use coffee filters as liners; i'm baking Annikas Tangerine Butter cookies, my step mother's Birds nests with raspberry preserves, some toll house, some sugar cookies with sprinkles ( i dont do cut outs!)and honey crunch cookies which use honey nut cheerios.....i feel like i need more choclate but i think the popcorn will have to suffice!

so- tomorrow is biopsy and thursday probly nothing of use will get accomplished!
i still have to pick up pickles, black olives and hamburg buns -my contribution to the Christmas buffet and friday we leave for Ohio......

ok- i won't get any baking done sitting here!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Dec 20 2011 05:59:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:02:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm finishing up a teacher and bus driver gift. I want this year to be simple, joyful, and peaceful.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

bizemom
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Dawn
Oberlin Ohio
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:31:58 AM  Show Profile
I am headed to the bank, post office to send out last batch of cards, then to the store to pick up stocking stuffers & i am doing the wire whisks filled with Jolly Ranchers for the teachers & bus driver...Whisking them a holly JOLLY Christmas! I need to decide on which bread I am going to bake for my homemade gifts to give & get the rest of the jam done. Then hopefully tonight we can get some presents wrapped & trying to figure out what dishes to take to all our festivities. Sounds like everyone is BUSY! But I'm ready we got snow last night & it is still coming down so I am going to crank up the Christmas music & go for it:)

Proud mama to 2 AMAZING kiddos & wife to a WONDERFUL man!!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Working as caregiver for 10 hr. shift again today, but will be finalizing plans for the week . . . and selling aprons!
Happy "Tuesday-before-Christmas" farmgirls!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm mailing the last of the Christmas cards, then heading to church to finish up the music for the Christmas Eve services (my church does a 7PM and 11PM service and the choir sings in both). Then I'm meeting one of my dearest friends to have her birthday luncheon with her. This evening I'll probably knit some more of the blanket for our newest great niece who will be born in March.

Karin
Farmgirl #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:54:57 AM  Show Profile
since we'll be in a motel fri sat sun nites; i think ill pack my fabric to make my valentine yo yos for the swap!hmmmm where IS my packing list????
yesterday i picked up some microwave foods to take- if we dont eat them i'll bring them home but that way we arent eating so many meals in restaurants- my kids have not invited us for meals- poo!somehow i guess that part of what i taught them got lost! i was always the hostess when relatives came to town.......what are they thinking?????

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Dec 20 2011 06:57:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Finishing the things on my list from yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  07:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Making fudge this morning, then off for some Christmas shopping with a former apprentice and her daughter. Then off to a friend's field to dig up some medicinal plants and get them in the ground at my homestead. Let the rabbits out of their hutch in the garden so they can run around. Let the chickens out so they can supervise my planting. Making dinner for hubby later.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Today I have been at work. Since I work at a bakery, behind the counter,it 's a very,very busy time.
I just got home and I just can't feel my feet anymore.........
I have put dinner in the oven, then I will take our 3 dogs out for a walk.
Then I will write some last Christmas cards and wrap up some last Christmas present..Then perhaps I will just sit down and relax a bit.Trying not to think of all those crazy days ahead of me.

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  10:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Getting the house ready for someone to take care of our critters for a few days. Laundry. Packing for a quick trip to grandpa's house. Thie nice part is it will be a short trip so not much packing and not much animal care needed while we are gone. I hope to have the house pretty clean though so the housesitter is comfortable. Unfortunately I got a sore throat and aches as an early Christmas present yesterday so the going is slow. I sure am glad the presents are all done and wrapped.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Busy day today, in addition to my Bible Study for tomorrow...

~Made Cranberry Sauce
~Toasted and chopped pecans for Christmas dishes and pies
~I am making Candied Clementines
~Need to make bread
~Need to get onions and celery chopped (I am trying to do as much prepwork as possible)
~Make marshmallows and caramels (realistically this will be tomorrow :))
~Make up turkey brine seasonings
~An appointment with the cpa
~Drop off a couple of gifts and pick up last minute things at the store

When that is done, a nice cup of tea by the fire will be waiting for me this snowy day along with some reading (Shepherd's Abiding by Jan Karon) and some knitting :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  12:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Wrapping up the last few presents, making a few more centerpieces to give as gifts and also making up some more butterscotch cookie in a jar to give as gifts. Really very calm, and just trying to truly enjoy everything this wonderful time of year has to offer. Took the kids ice skating with friends on Saturday night- it was cold but if felt oh so right!
Merry Christmas!

PS- Margo- you just broke my heart reading that you were not invited for meals?????? . I wish I could have your here for dinner!
Farmgirl Hugs to you! I will be thinking of you and praying for you tomorrow and of course in all of the coming days.

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Dec 20 2011 12:20:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic 12/29/11: What are you doin' this week? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page