kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  04:57:26 AM  Show Profile
I'll call the vet in the morning. Thanks anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 19 2011 4:42:16 PM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:36:34 AM  Show Profile
ph kris i am so sorry i wish i could help you out. did you check to see if he got into anything in the field, i would give him some molasses water for energy right away. if you have b vit.s put some on some goodies for him. i would check his temp too. hugs to you both sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  07:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Kris, we have a lot of sheep (well, a lot for me - right now we have 2 rams and about 30 ewes) and periodically we have sick ones. Let me see what antibiotics we use - they're in the fridge...we usually use Pen Aqueous (300k units/mL) injectable (1 mL/lb. of body weight) when they have problems. Does it sound like he's "coughing" or choking? Sometimes it's hard to tell. Would you like me to call you?

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  09:04:34 AM  Show Profile
medicateing any animal without a diagnouses is very dangerous, and giving antibiotics to an animal who does not need them is not the smart thing to do...call out a vet to check him, over the phone with anybody is a guessing game without having hands on, when you know he's not right, be safe and call in a professional...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  12:16:52 PM  Show Profile
That's some really good advice, Tina - I was just stating the usages that were on the bottle and what we use here, but in NO way would I want to pretend to be a substitute for a good veterinary visit! How's the ram, Kris?

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

Edited by - Libbie on Dec 19 2011 12:17:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  12:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Kris I wouldn't know what else that would be except for pneumonia if he's making a strange noise in his throat,sheep and goats with pneumonia will huff and puff and act out of breath sometimes before other symptoms start such as runny nose or actual coughing but usually they will have a fever in the very beginning stages,does he have a fever?
Temperature with pneumonia will generally run from 103 to 107 degrees and you might want to take the temperature of any other animals in the herd because if there's one got it it's likely that there's more.
Antibiotic use will be contingent on whether it is a bacterial or viral pneumonia so I can't make any recommendations,a vet will have to determine which one as has been said before but pneumonia is a bad deal,my Nubian does got it last Winter and one doe suffered permanent lung damage so any kind of exercise gets her huffing and puffing now.
I vaccinated for it this year with the pasturella vaccine available from Colorado Serum and haven't had any further troubles with it and am relieved because it's so dangerous.
I would take his temperature and that of those around him and call a vet to be sure,you can't be too careful with pneumonia in goats and sheep,I learned the hard way by trying to treat my does with pennicillin instead of calling the vet right away,my Ginnie's lung damage could possibly have been avoided by treating with the specific antibiotic she needed at the time.
I hope that's not what the problem is with your ram,it's just a possibility,I hope he does alright,keep us posted!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  1:12:35 PM  Show Profile
I too would call the vet. Let us know how the ram is doing.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  1:13:33 PM  Show Profile
Sound advice - giving anyone medication before you know what you are dealing with is not advisable. Sometimes also they can have s minor growth in their throat which makes them at times cough or if it continues to grow can hamper their ability to drink and eat. When you rubbed the throat did you feel anything??? Once we know what the temp is that will let us also have a better idea of what is going on. If it is a growth the temp usually is normal, if it is the lungs I would also listen for a rattle. Is he up and moving?? Does his poop look normal?? I would isolate him till you have a better handle on things.. Also make sure that he is drinking - even if he is not wanting to eat right now do not let him get behind on drinking.

Here is the herbal recipe for lung issues... 1 tbl of each Comfrey Root, Chickweed, Boelia, Mullein and Mashmallow Root. Mix together into a medicine balls or use in a tea. Administer 3 times a day. You can also use it fresh and feel out of hand depending on how your animal is use to eating with you.

Please keep us informed and we will send healing thoughts to your boy.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  2:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Kris I hope it all works out,I hope you didn't think we were all scolding you or talking down to you about your ram,I was just throwing some things out there that it could be and sharing my own experience with my does and thier pneumonia,I just grabbed a bottle of pennicillin and started dosing them up and didn't have very good results and it ended up causing some long term scarring to my doe's lungs.
I do try to treat most things at home with either conventional or herbal treatments if I can and I am always researching,taking notes and learning from other livestock keepers and most of the time I've been successful,except for when I wasn't,sometimes it just boils down to trail and error and I have erred at times :)!
I hope there's nothing really wrong with your ram at all,please keep us posted!
Grace I made note of your herbal mixture,thanks for sharing it,I use alot of tinctures in my herbal treatments and I use echinacea and poke root mixture with elecampane for lung ailments.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  7:53:58 PM  Show Profile
I have not heard of that remedy - where do you get Poke Weed???

Kris you know me - I am only here to help if can be and never mean any harm... I too hope all is well with the ram- please let us know because we all love you and the animals.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  11:01:08 AM  Show Profile
hey kris, i bet you have a houseful. how are things going? happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  11:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace I buy tincture of Poke root from my local herb store but you can also get it online from Mountain Rose Herbs,you have to be careful with poke as it is toxic but in small amounts is great for stirring the immune system and combating infections,I mix one dropperful into a bottle of echinacea root tincture and use it for treating mastitis and lung infections.
Kris we would all love to hear from you,I bet you're busy for the holidays but hope you can drop by and let us know how things are going!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  2:31:06 PM  Show Profile
so kathryn is this sub-lingual drops. i could try with penny?? what do you think?? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic post deleted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page