Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Mom's dog running wild -advice-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mom's dog running wild -advice- Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile
So I gave my mother a lab mix puppy, and she has spoiled him rotten for the last year. He has gentleman's manners in the house, but if he gets loose to run, it's the end of his behavior. If he's in the back yard he runs off and barks at her horse, chases him, jumps up at his face, grabs his tail. At first she excused it saying "he just wants to play, there's no meanness in it." Then he chased the horse in a predatory way and tried to bite him on the hip within a couple months. Now the dog gets walked from the bedroom to the cable on a leash every day.

Today they left him home without putting him out. While I was making halloween costumes for the kids. Somehow he squeezed out an open window and was chasing someone on a 4 wheeler on the highway! then I couldn't get him in the house until he was tired.
I've been telling her for a year to get a shock collar to correct his behavior and it's never happened.
I'm afraid I only have one option left at this point and no surprise she's fighting it.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile
How about working with him in the yard on coming when he is called? I trained my dog with treats on a runner.
Just make sure to try the shock collar on yourself, first. This is why animals make poor gifts.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  5:52:39 PM  Show Profile
I know some people who have used the shock collars with great success. I hope you get it all figured out.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  7:39:38 PM  Show Profile
They also make fences that are similar to invisible fences that you have to bury but they actually are just a machine that can be set so that if the collar gets too far away it beeps at the dog first then shocks if he gets farther away. I don't have any idea on cost but the setup shouldn't be too bad and the radius of the circle can be changed so you could keep him in the yard. It also seems better to have him shocked when he is making a bad decision rather than getting scolded when he finally does come home. It seems confusing to get punished when dogs finally come home. Sounds like he is a little much for your mom but sometimes some at home lessons with a dog trainer can really help train the dog as well as your mom in some very useful ways to help him behave better. Good luck, Emily

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  7:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Most people DO NOT KNOW the proper way to use a shock collar (I am very against them, they are the lazy way out), they become abusive when useing them , cause its easier than using the proper way of obediance training, dogs work well with repatition, they are not much better than a toddler, it takes time, and daily comitment. I really hope instead you find a good home for this dog, before he is killed or he injures a horse or worse...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Labs are super high-energy and if he's being cooped up all day, no wander he goes spastic when he gets outside. Labs are in the working class and a lot of those dogs need a task or they go bonkers and get into trouble. Lots of walks or runs on a leash and some obedience training!
What helped us is we made a big fenced area in the back yard with equibraid electric fence and yes, we elctrify it. It gives them a BIG area to run and train in and was pretty cheap as far as fence goes. Toby, has gotten "bit" by the fence a few times and he knows the boundry and never tries to crawl under or jump it. Roscoe tried once and that was enough for him. It's saved a lot of heartache too as the two that are in it the most are the ones that notoriously ran off and couldn't find their way home resulting in being picked up by the dog warden (twice)! Its way better for them than being just on a run. Cables break eventually.
Best of luck!

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jen! I'm just wondering if he has been fixed? I know it's a touchy subject for some, but I also know that usually when a male dog is fixed he calms down quite a bit. It might help. Just a thought. :) Also, I know that dogs can suffer allergies to some dog foods, and sometimes the allergies show up as hyperactivity - very similar to what happens in children. It sounds silly, but it really can happen. Maybe a change in food will also help calm him down a bit. I know it's happening primarily when he gets outside, and you surely can't change his nature all together, of course; but maybe these are still factors that can help his behavior. You never know. I really wish you luck! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 31 2011 9:24:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:45:53 PM  Show Profile
She needs to do something or she'll wind up like friends of DH who's young G. Shephard was missing for 5 days and then found out one of the neighbors shot him because he was harrassing his livestock. Dog had a tag on with phone #'s but neighbor couldn't be bothered with calling the owner and saying I just killed your dog that was threatening my animals! Sad as that is, completely legal.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile
From the way it sounds I know you would only use the shock collar if the dog was messing with the horse so even though others disagree I think for a fix that doesn't cost tons of money it might be a wise choose for your mother & you.....yes getting fixed might help but the dog has the behaver already so it will still try until it gets kicked....I have trained dogs all my life...dad trained military dogs so I got good training before others knew what to do.....
yes labs are working dogs & need something to work at or they get destructive in behavior.....they also need lots of walking time to burn off all that energy....even putting them on a long lead would help so they can run the line but not get out of the yard area....I have one I used for my cattle dog that was 100 ft long & attached to the house & the shop...worked great for those times when I couldn't walk her & let her go out while I was out.
The sad thing is if the dog is biting the horse, a broken leg can occur in its fear to get away 7 then the horse has to be put down...so to me which is meaner...a shock collar or a bullet to the head of a horse?....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  11:25:07 AM  Show Profile
A tired dog is a good dog. Your mom is going to have to put in the retroactive HOURS of training into him if she expects to keep him contained. Getting him fixed will not stop the behaviors, but it will affect testosterone levels, which will help prevent future escapes in pursuit of the ladies in heat. Established behavioral problems will not vanish with the "boys," though.

Does he fetch? She should be in the habit of tiring him out before she goes anywhere. A Chuck-it or similar product could save her arm. Don't use tennis balls- they slowly erode the teeth resulting in dental adventures later. We use rubber balls with our Chesapeake Bay Retriever (like a lab, but worse if you could imagine).

Training simple commands like "come" "leave it" and "drop it" needs to happen ASAP. Long runner leads are very helpful with these. I would consider having a dog trainer come to her home, evaluate the problem(s) and give possible solutions. And you should be there so you can hold her accountable for what is recommended later when she may "forget" what the trainer said.

Shock collars are not for misbehaving dogs. They are training tools for dogs who already know the basics and simply need boundary reminders or long-distance communication (usually a beep calls retrievers on the hunt back to their handler). Shocking a dog every time they chase something or do something you don't like doesn't train them, it simply punishes them. Without a handler to show them what is wrong and not to be tolerated, they will not make sustainable change. Shock collars can be used successfully by trained persons, but they are not something you should rush out and buy, expecting it to fix your dog. Only you can do that.

I wish you luck in this endeavor. Chasing stock and vehicles- this dog may not have much time left if some drastic changes don't take place soon.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Sorry that the dog lovers might disagree but if the shock collar is the most cost effective and appropriate method for YOUR situation and level of experience of dog training then use it,I'm sure it's much cheaper and easier than a lawsuit and much easier on your Mom than finding him dead when someone has gotten tired of him chasing thier animals or ran over him on the road.
I try not to form strong opinions on particular methods of training and figure what works for the animal and the person who owns him and is not cruel or abusive is alright by me,I've never seen a dog croak from a little zap from a shock collar though I have seen them run right through it and do what they were going to do anyways so they can't be all that powerful if some dogs can ignore them and follow thier impulses despite them!
Investing money and time in dog training or lessons in training would be good and changing a few things in the dog's lifestyle would certainly help,a good escape proof fence works wonders but that's not always easily accomplished as some dogs will always find a way out.
Audrey I might imagine your neighbors could have been afraid to claim killing the dog because of course people get very emotional over thier pets and rightfully so and even though the guy was within the law there have been people known to retaliate so sometimes it's best to keep quiet for your family and property safety and so you don't end up on the news with a thousand screaming animal right's activists sending you hate mail and death threats or even worse,it does happen so it's usually best to keep quiet or to immediately call the sheriff and report that you shot the dog and have him come out and make a report and record your losses of animals or property damage,circumstances,etc..if you wish to make it known so that you can recover losses from the dog's owner.
Well,I hope it all works out for you and your Mom and her dog so that he can live a long happy dog life and make her happy,so be open-minded and use whatever method works for the situation and if it doesn't work,try something else until you find the right thing,it won't be the same for everyone and every dog so be open-minded and don't feel bad if you resort to giving him a shock collar,it might work or it might not,won't know until you try it.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Your lab mix dog is a working dog. He isn't getting enough exercise and that is why he is chasing anything and everything. He may one day get kicked by the horse and then what? He could be fatally hurt. He needs lots and lots of exercise. Next thing, has he been spayed or neutered? That will take some of the anxiety out of him.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  12:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Alright, so here is what has happened since my original post:
I had a high line on a cable installed so the dog can run and move freely but contained on the cable, and this has removed the threat of him escaping out the front door or an open window to terrorize. He goes out in the morning and comes in in the evening where he hangs out with his mistress. He is an exceptionally very well behaved house dog all things considered.
I'm still considering a shock collar to teach him not to play "wolf" with the horse and I'm thinking a little zap might detract from his chase. (Nothing big ladies, I'm hoping for something equivalent to a tap on the nose with a newspaper-- I'd appreciate model recommendations for big dogs, but not too powerful. Enough to redirect his thinking, not a tazer gun.) He doesn't jump up on me anymore unless he's wound tighter than tight, I've been stepping on his toes when he does.
Again, I just want to reiterate this is not *my* dog, this is my mother's dog and she moved in with me about a year and a half ago and this is a temporary arrangement. She should have had him out with the horse when he was a puppy and practiced reinforcing the "come" command but she pretty much kept him in the house as a lap puppy during his formative months.
I'm working on those things with a new Livestock Guard puppy now. (Another pyr mix, like my current guard-about 12 weeks old.) >_< If I had raised the darn dog, it wouldn't be a problem now.

I have a foster dog I'm delivering to a rescue event on the 12th, to be honest I am seriously questioning her fitness to keep this dog and debating taking him with me. I'm torn. He's happy with her but she's only doing enough to keep him safe from the neighborhood and the neighborhood safe from him as a result of me forcing the issue. She was clueless he was a problem at all until he wouldn't stop chasing her horse one day. (Until then it was: "Oh, he wants to play with the horse! its so cute when he tries to swing on the horse's tail!") It bears mentioning that this is the same woman who didn't want the euthanize the dying pony until the sheriff's dept. gave her a deadline.

I'm not sure if I would be doing a favor to get him a more secure and responsible home, or if I'd be abandoning him in the private rescue system.
This situation totally blindsided me, I had no reason to think my own mother would be so irresponsible when I gave her the puppy-- She's always had very well behaved dogs before.

Professional training lessons are not an option, money is tight. My mom took some paid leave from work for a major surgery about 6 months after we moved into this place and a month after I gave her the puppy. Recovery was long, they laid her off and she hasn't had a job since.

This is also the problem with getting him fixed --the waiting list for free spay/neuter vouchers for public assistance is ungodly. The mobile vet trailer free events set up shop and take animals on a first come first served basis starting at 6 am and are booked up for the day by 7 and turn people away. Regardless, she's had more than long enough to make it happen and it still hasn't been done.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Nov 09 2011 12:31:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  12:39:55 PM  Show Profile
you go girl...great idea on the lead...that will help you so much since he can still get around but not bother the horse...I am proud of you...smart choice......I have a sister like your mother in her 60's hat lets her little dog get away with everything & thinks its so cute....when I am there I walk him & have taught him how to handle a leash, stop commands ect but since I can't be there often I have to re-do it each time i come visit but I don't mind since it gets us out of the house & she lives way up in the Mtns so its a good walk for both of us....Like I tell the chicken hens do what you feel is right...we will all back you on this you know.....I think we have all had to do things we just hate but now you at least have all of us hens here to hold your hand, give you a smile & tell you Well done...lots of hugs....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  08:42:20 AM  Show Profile
what do you guys think about giving him to a rescue group to adopt out? I'm still debating on weather it would do more harm than good.

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  2:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Jen if the dog doesn't suit your lifestyle or your Mom's then don't feel bad if you give him to a rescue group,oftentimes these groups have training resources and volunteers and can place him in just the right kind of home to suit his temperament,sometimes some animals just do not fit,I have had dogs that just did not suit the farm lifestyle,they were good dogs but just not suited in temperament or the kind of dog we needed around here but that would suit other people and circumstances just fine.
Don't let anyone make you feel guilty if you do decide to place him in a rescue,it might be one of the best things that ever happened to him or to the person who adopts him if he eventually gets a home that suits him in every way and alot of rescue groups try hard to make that happen.
I don't think any harm would come to him,these groups are usually very careful in placing these animals into homes and follow up or have an agreement that the dog is to be returned in the case things don't work out,one of my friends runs one and has helped alot of dogs and people.
Good luck,I hope everything works out for everyone involved,I'm sure you will make a good decision!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  04:41:35 AM  Show Profile
Did you find the dog a new home? Were you able to afford neutering, to see if it changes him?

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mom's dog running wild -advice- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page