Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Vernacular and Colloquialisms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vernacular and Colloquialisms Next Topic
Page: of 2

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  10:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Another one--in Oregon there is a coastal town called Coquille. Being a French speaker I pronounced it correctly--"kohkeeyuh". That is as close as I can get with English spelling. No one knew what I was saying. They pronounce it "kokeel".

And Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Again, I pronounced it in French. Not so. And I find myself pronouncing Spanish placenames, surnames, or words definately in Spanish. I have just begun to notice this. It's almost as if I have mental block against anglicizing them.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  1:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Loyce I grew up speaking both French and Assiniboin (a Native American Siouan dialect) and have since adapted and learned a bit of Spanish and a whole lot of German,I think knowing these different languages leads to a deeper connection and understanding so I love the art of language.
I have also heard alot of French butchered as well!
As far as all these different terms,I grew up partly in Montana and partly in Colorado and do alot of horse training but find I have to translate alot of my terms when working with people and thier horses,such as:

Rimfired:Means you got your rope under your horse's tail and had a hell of a wreck.
Farted Off:Bucked off,usually after you've gone and rimfired your horse,example "That young buckaroo went and got himself farted off that snorty little colt"
Snorty:wild eyed and ready to buck with no prior notice,can also be referred to as "having a belly full of bedsprings"
Chilled:someone who's afraid to get back on thier horse after rimfiring or getting farted off example,the guy that rimfired his colt and got farted off yesterday
Rodear:gathering cattle in the open without pens and holding and working them with horses
Jingler:the first guy up in the morning catching the horses
Outfit:The cattle ranch you ride for,your pickup truck or your saddle
Riggin':your saddle or all your gear or maybe just the cinch and latigo,if your saddle ends up under your horse's belly and he's tearing it up bucking then your riggin wasn't tight enough
Chouse:to put pressure on and move cattle or pre-ride workout for your horse
Brogans:lace up packer boots worn in toe numbing cold weather
Crock:old cripple cow
Leppie:orphaned cow
Dink:usually an unkind reference to a poorly bred horse,my Husband's horse is a good example of a "Dink" but he loves him so I've quit lying and telling people we're just boarding him for someone else
Gunsel:a person with little knowledge related to horses or cowboying,example: someone who doesn't know which end of the horse gets up off the ground first or who ties thier bridle reins to the tie post
Rimrocked:can't ride any further,country too rough (very dependent on perception of horse and cowboy riding him)
Springer:cow that's due to calf soon
Sougan:bedroll
Slick:unbranded cow
Wild Rag:a scarf tied around the neck that is perfectly acceptable for rough cowboy heterosexual men to wear in wild colors or even in pink with polka-dots

I could go on all day at this but you all get the idea I'm sure

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  5:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Here we say "want a warmer" for a refill on coffee. There's also "shut the front door!" for something surprising. We have a chupacabra as some mythical monster. I remember they had an episode on X Files once about it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vernacular and Colloquialisms Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page