True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  9:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
As some of you know I recently lost my husband and have no job and trying to keep the five acre farm I have in central Arkansas. Last Monday it was cold and wet and nasty. It was late and the house was in it's typical amount of chaos. In the middle of everything there was a moment of silence. In that moment of silence I heard the sounds of a puppy. I don't have any puppies.. I have seven dogs (two fosters), several cats, and bills. All my animals are fixed except for a kitten we recently found.
I don my husband's raincoat and grab the flashlight. I searched outside in the rain and finally looked by the backdoor where there's an opening that goes under the house. I looked into the opening and I saw a white puppy with beautiful blue eyes. It took about 2o minutes before the puppy would let me pick it up. She's a ten week old husky mix puppy. She had more fleas than I've ever seen on an animal and wormy.
There is no way possible for that puppy to show up under my house unless someone put her there. I started thinking back and as of now we have had 13 dogs dumped on us in 8 years. I post an angry post on Facebook about folks doing the right thing and fix their nonfarm animals because people like me can't afford their mistakes. I was so angry.
Thankfully my stepdaughter may have found a home for Temperance who has so far been hard to house train. I have too many already and I want to make a sign to hang on my fence..saying something like "This isn't your dumping ground!" The problem if I keep the puppy then doesn't tell the dumpers that I will take their unwanted pets and give them a good home?? I just don't know what to do.
Anyone else have this problem and if so how have you dealt with it?

Thanks,
Cyn

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  05:41:45 AM  Show Profile
I don't personally have a dumping ground but I sure know people who do. They hate it but are so kind they don't know what to do. There is a low cost spay neuter program here that helps minimize the problem. As you probably don't have a way to get the dumping to stop maybe posting on petfinder.com or something similar may get them adopted faster. It is kind of you to try to help these guys out.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  05:57:10 AM  Show Profile
We often have animals dumped here because people know we (like you) won't just turn them away and will find them a new home or keep them ourselves. But it is SOOOO frustrating, I know what you mean. Why can't people just be responsible? And why is it our job to take care of what they can't? I do know another home that has animals dumped there constantly and she finally put a HUGE sign on her fence that said "This is not a dumping ground for the cats you have decided not to take care of!" It was up for awhile and then I am assuming someone made her take it down (it was really big!) Gosh, I can't imagine she was frustrated or anything...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  06:21:19 AM  Show Profile
I just recently found a dog over on the road to a freind's house with a long rope dragging the ground behind her. I got out and she came right to me. I checked for a collar and saw that the rope was tied around her neck so tight I couldn't get my finger under it. Thank goodness I had a knife in the car and cut it off her and put her in the car and have had her since. I never even asked people if they lost a dog because I would never send her back to a place where she had to be tied up all her life. I hate that. And she will be going to the vet in a few months to be spayed.

But if people would just get their animals fixed, there would not be such a big problem. And people are cowards and disgusting for dropping animals off. The last few days while going to twon, I have seen a pretty white lab looking dog at the crossroads. I have both times been in a hurry and could not stop. I have never seen it before and I have a feeling it's been dropped off. It was on the porch os one of the houses there yesterday on the way home. I will stop and ask if it's their dog today. If not I will call the local radio station that has a great guy that announces lost and found animals all the time. I hope it does belong to that house because I can't take it home. I have 3 dogs already and no more room for another crate.

I hope you find a home for the puppy. And I would put up a sign, although I don't think that people who drop of animals can read.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Apache Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Erika
La Puente California
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  07:22:19 AM  Show Profile
This is very sad, but she was very fortunate to have wound up under your house. You did the right thing for her, and now she has a much better chance of finding a good home.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  07:45:09 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid we used to always have new animals showin up. We had tons of dogs and cats all the time and were always givin kittens and puppies away. It got so bad that we even woke up one mornin to a goat tied to the front porch!!!

I mean seriously! A goat!

My aunt was thrilled to get the goat, but who dumps a goat!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  08:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I have inherited chickens lately, i have no idea where they came from but i got 10 new hens from somewhere??? I figured the people up the road brought them down and put them over the fence.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  08:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Cynthis:
Dumping animals is something that makes me very angry. I so agree with the spay and neuter advice.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile
It is sad that people do this but I would never be able to put up a sign because I am afraid they would dump the animal somewhere where it would starve & die...so even though its not a good thing to have these animals dumped here I will at least try to call animal control, shelters ect so I am getting them help....I have 3-4 wild cats that ended up on my land but they stay under the shop area & eat all the mice & rats & sometimes I take things out to them....here if you have a wild cat it can be caught, fixed & then they will return it to the land it came from, which means here but they do it for free....I can't believe a husky mix was dumped...those are expensive dogs to buy, very sad....but am thankful you are trying to do the right thing...a true MJ farmgirl!...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  1:24:13 PM  Show Profile
I've had a few animals dumped on me over the years,usually pregnant cats which inhabit our outbuildings,I try to get ahold of the kittens to gentle them and find them homes when they're ready and depending on the health and gentleness of the mommacat I'll try to find her a home too if I can catch her,sometimes I'll put them down if they're in poor health,very feral or kill my chicks,I can't have that.
A year ago I had a horse dumped on me but it was from someone I knew,he was an off the track thoroughbred that had been adopted to a lady who was overmounted on him,he bolted with her and hurt her badly and in an emotional state of despair she trailered him over and put him in with mine without saying anything in advance,I got home late at night and had an extra horse in the corral and a note pinned to my saddle house saying she knew I was a trainer and that I would "do him right" while she couldn't even stand to look at the horse anymore,she was so upset.
I agree with Michele that even though it can be a pain to take in these animals and figure out what to do with them I would rather that they dump them here than somewhere where they might starve to death,have no shelter or be run over on some busy city street so I take them as they come.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  2:12:46 PM  Show Profile
This is a very sensitive topic,,,so I will be very lady like & reframe from commentting my feelings about people who dump off animals or neglect/abuse animals etc.....

All I will say is Bless your hearts for having compassion for these helpless creatures and I agree whole heartedly about how I would rather be the place where these poor animals are dumped then the alternative.

There are so many organizations out there, tho bulging at the financial seams, and they will try to help in some way.
The Horse Rescue up the road from uswhere we volunteer our spare time, will help out by giveing 2 months worth of feed, or take in your horse on a temporary basis, as well as take in permanently abused/neglected horses.

Also, there are still some good hearted/old fashioned Vet offices who will allow you to make 'payments' for the vet bills....
I know back in Oxnard, CA.(don't know if they are still there) there was a Low cost Spay/Neuter clinic that was run/staffed by Vet students under the watch of a Veternarian and the office was maned by volunteers. 5years ago it was $20 for Neuter & $25 for Spay(femals).
Often times these clinics(as well as rescue org.s) have a Wish List for towels, laundry soap, computer paper etc.

So even if times are tuff and one can't financially support a clinic/rescue org., they can certainly put to use old blankets, towels, even pillows that can be re-purposed into beds for the animals.

Bless you all for doing the right thing.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  7:44:17 PM  Show Profile
Heartbreaking stories all. It's hard in my situation to find the help. All the help here are too full or have too limited an income to help beyond their own means. If I take any animal to the Humane Shelter they will be put down first if they run out of room in their kennels. One year we walked out to find 8 mangy puppies in our yard. It was the kind of mange that spread badly. They had other conditions that I won't mention here..but it was bad. We had a good vet but he stopped helping us and when we couldn't pay the bill in a timely fashion he turned us over to a very ugly collection agency. We tried to explain to him what was going on but all he said was to pay the bill.
With the 8 puppies..all of them died because of Parvo that one of them had. It even spread to our own puppies and we lost one them. I know people won't give the animals they dump decent medical treatment..or else why would they dump them here?
I really want to put a sign up on my property that says "Not Your Unwanted Animal Dumping Ground" but as y'all have said..where else would they end up? It's just the mentality here.
There are low cost spay and neuter programs about an hour away from us. And I have helped with Trap Neuter Return programs for feral cats..and have a few of them living in my barn. As for feral cats.. if you can find a TNR program that's the way to go. They will notch the cat's ear (painless) so when it's return to the wild you know it's fixed.

I think I will contact the animal shelters here and see what they recommend I do to help stem this problem. Literately every year we end up with something someone put over our fence. Thank you for all the suggestions and stories!!
Go to Top of Page

Hidy
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Heidi
Hoffman Estates IL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  4:01:51 PM  Show Profile
First thank you all for taking in the animals that were "dumped". If I had a farm I would likly do the same. We are the caretakers of all creatures great and small. I think in today's society it is far easier to dump an animal than to take the responsibility. Growing up I was raised with the belief if you had an animal it was yours to take care for its life. I agree the best thing to do if you have too many is to post a positive sign "No Dumping of any Animals - Thank you!", kindness sometime works, get what you can fixed, adopt who you can on PetFinders. Lastly, contact your local paper,TV or local ASPCA and see if they would be willing to do a story on the correct place to give up animals. Many folks just need to be reminded it is more shameful to dump an animal than to take it to the ASPCA or PetFinders.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  10:15:32 PM  Show Profile
I know how you gals feel, I seem to get dogs and puppies dumped out at my house at least once a year-- purebred white Labrador retrievers one year a few days after Christmas. Both females, one mismarked. It seemed as if the breeder didn't sell them for Christmas and just didn't want to deal with them anymore so drove them out to the country and dumped them in a nice yard close to the road (mine.) Found the girls snuggled together under the farm truck crying. I put them both on craigslist for modest rehoming fees after a few weeks of training and they got amazing homes that adored them and their "flaws".

You've got to wonder how some of you gals keep getting "blessed" over and over... either its always the same irresponsible people or there's a convention of bad pet owners in front of a bar somewhere and they just designated you to deal with what they can't.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  10:10:20 AM  Show Profile
My mother always swore up and down that there was an X painted on one of our fence post showing people this is the place to dump your unwanted animals. At one time we had 13 dogs all strays, and we always managed to feed them until we could get them homes. People are really stupid in their thinking when it comes to dumping the animal, "they will find a nice farm home and live happy ever after" RIGHT. They don't know about the coytoes, botcats, coons, or other critters that will kill a dog or cat for a meal, or they starve to death, are shot, or hit be a car. I have feral cats and three dumped cats that are all fixed, fat, and have a nice barn for shelter. My neighbor has a beauitful St. Benard that was dumped, it makes me crazy that people are like that. I have to be careful what I wish on them.

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Dec 11 2011 10:12:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  10:19:59 AM  Show Profile
I think I get blessed over & over again because everyone in my neighborhood knows I am a softie when it comes to any animals so they spread the word...lol....or someone is wanting to get rid of an animal, my neighbors will take it knowing if they show up at my door I will take it & care for it...this all started when everyone found out I will rescue chickens healthy/sick or injured so I guess they thought she will take chickens so she will likely take other animals...thats how I got a diabetic cat, barn cat & a bearded lizard...lol...the other 3 barn cats just showed up from who knows where....Its hard but I know even if I have no money I can at least do something for them...clean them up, feed them something & give them a warm safe place to sleep even if its under the shop. I had one friend tell me he would come out & shot all the wild cats under my shop & I about jumped out of my skin...I thanked him but said no they were alright & since there are no preg cats around I think they are all fixed anyway...have no baby kittens under there so they are safe to stay.....If I lived on more than 1/3 acre I am sure I would have more coming to me....Funny how people see the good in me & will give me the animals instead of shooting them.....I guess thats a nice thing if you think about it...you are trusted by those who don't know you personally but have heard about you....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  11:11:53 AM  Show Profile
There is so much wisdom in your words Michele. We were going through a very long time of day to day struggle of trying to just get by. There was this rough looking yellow feral Tom that I would leave alittle something out for. My husband started to get on me for this until I pointed out that as bad as it was for us, he had it hard also. You could take one look at him and see that, and if that little bit of food gave him a full belly and made things alittle easier in his life, then I was rich, he never said another word. Mr. Kitty was fed by us everyday for a year. I so wish I had the money to do more.

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  10:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello again,
I'm waiting for the police to come to my farm. Tonight a large pit bull male dog was dumped on us. He seems friendly enough but he weighs over 60lb and he's never been fixed. I love the breed but if you don't know the history of the dog then he could have been used for fighting. I don't think this one was, he has ears and tail that aren't docked. But he's gone after my barn cats and keeps breaking into my yard. My fence goes around my house and the dog tore one of my gates off its hinges to get into the yard.
My other dogs will try to defend their yard and this dog has the size to kill or seriously mame them. What burns me the most is two weeks ago we saw a young guy driving a blue car around with a large pit in the front seat. He was just driving back and forth so we followed it. He took off and we never saw him again. I wish I had gotten his plate number!
Now instead of going to sleep I'm waiting for the police then I have to fix my fence.
Unfourtunely for this guy they will have to put him down. It's the law around here. Stupid people.I'm just really tired of it.

Cyn
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  10:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia that's terrible,please be careful,I think it's awful sad how people exploit pit bulls but they can sure be dangerous when they've been so badly used and handled so you have to protect your animals and your family.
When we lived in Pueblo there were two dead pit bulls dumped in the arroyo close to us,my neighbor called the police and animal control upon finding them,they were wrapped in plastic and were torn up from fighting,it's very sad.

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  11:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! The police finally showed up just to let me know they couldn't take the dog. It's a large county without a place without a naimal shelter so the dog is still in my yard. I put it in my goat pen and it dug it's way out. He only chases the cats when they run... Of course they run. The police man was really nice but it was a huge waste of time. So now I have no clue what to do. Except put a leash on it and tie it to a fence then let my dogs out in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  09:02:29 AM  Show Profile
google "Villa Lobos Pitbull Rescue", they will help you, either themselves or tell you someone that can, they just moved from California to New Orleans, Louisianna, great people...god luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia: I'm so sorry this has happened to you again. Reading this makes me so angry at the people who just dump off an animal. Do they not think of what could happen to the animal? I know they probably don't, but my love for animals just gets me angry when I read this stuff. I think Tina was a grand idea. And--- yes, they are great people. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you the advice and support! I introduced the pit to my other dogs this morning. I can't keep him out of the fence and don't want him opening the gate to let my other dogs out. No fights but since the pit isn't fixed he keeps trying to be leader of the pack and my two fixed males won't let it happen. So I see an argument in the future but right now they are playing romper room with each other in the yard.
I spoke to my lovely stepdaughter who works in a clinic and knows two people who are looking for a pit that's not a puppy. I really hope one of them will take him. I still have the huskie puppy, the home I found her ended up returning her because the daughter became seriosly allergic to her. I have people looking for a home for her as well.
If after Wednesday no one has come to claim the pit and no local offers I will call the rescue. I will be writing a letter to the local papers about dumping but I doubt it will change anything.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  5:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Cynthia. You are doing the right thing for you and for the dog.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile
what a tough story. its great you are stepping up to help the dog. we have had many pits here. right now they require to much energy for me. i have a love and respect for them. my son has 2. we have a cat some one dumped. she is so sweet and worked her way in. they are so clever. she now sleeps in HER chair. i know here where we live folks are giving up. they are still walking away from houses possessions etc. when the human soul heart center is so broken some times folks get desperate. it is so wrong. yet the human is the tragic one. yes there are bad folks dumping animals. yet lots of regular folks have come to the edge. i think this well trained cat belonged to a foreclosure. maybe they could not find her. she is everything you want in a cat. even no litter box. she was homeless. it took all summer for her to win us over. we fed her BUT NO house cat. well here she is. named peter by papa. she is probably prego. so my hat is off to you for helping these poor dogs. please keep us posted on where they go. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia I'm glad that dog gets along with your dogs so far,it's really nice of you to try to get along with him and take care of him until you can sort it out.
Sherrye we've got a new cat coming around too,an all white pretty foofy cat who has been hanging out with my two other outside cats,I think she was dumped too and you're right,that's sure prevalent when people are losing thier homes,sometimes I think people are so worried and not knowing if they can take care of themselves and thier family that they've sometimes got nothing left to figure out what to do with thier animals,it's unfortunate and it may not be right but the way you put it is spot on.
Our local animal shelter is so packed to the brim with cats that they're having free cat adoption days and they also have a ton of pit bulls because they're real popular in this area and people are always selling pit bull puppies on street corners so I imagine alot of people get them because they're cute and then don't have any idea how to deal with a dog like that,they're not bad dogs but I think they need a more savvy person than the average "I think it would be nice to have a dog" people.
Cynthia I'm sure it will all work out,I wish I had some good advice for you as to what to do to prevent people dumping animals but I have no idea what would work,the animal shelters are bulging at the seams and there are some people who just plain don't care and it's one of those things that sums itself up,if they don't care they just don't care.
I do think you should write your letter though and make people aware of the issue,that's always good,maybe it might help someone think twice and put some more effort into placing thier animal responsibly.
I wonder often if people think that the countryside is just a utopian dog park and maybe they've convinced themselves that by setting thier dog loose there he'll have a better life like all the people who turn out thier non-native exotic pets in Florida such as Burmese Pythons,Monitor Lizards,etc..

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dumping animals Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page