Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 inferior jars and lesser pectin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic inferior jars and lesser pectin Next Topic  

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  10:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Anybody else get "taken" this season by the made in china jars Wal Mart sold?

I thought the cheaper price was too good to be true, and was proven correct this weekend. The jars do not pair well with Ball canning lids and rings! So until wally world comes out with it's own brand of lids/rings, I'm going to support the American made Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest brands from now on.

You can tell these made in china jars becasue they have a green hue to them. They are also stamped with a made in china on the bottom. Not sure I want that on any of MY jams and jellies!

One other thing........I'm now a devotee to the liquid pectins like what Certo and Ball sell. (In the 11 years I have eben making jams and jellies-that's all I have ever used) Those produce a larger amount turned out per batch even though these make a bit more foam.

In a pinch, I used seveal boxes of the Sure Gel over this weekend to get me over the hump (I have a craft fair this week and needed some supplies quickly). ANd was very disapointed with getting only 3 pints per batch as opposed to 5 or 6 when I use Ball or Certo pectins. Bear in mind, I'm turning out over 200 jars in a 2 month time period and don't want to be standing in the kitchen all day long on my days off.

So for the small potatoes jelly makers- I guess the powdered pectins are fine. But for this farm girl, I'm gonna have to find this stuff by the case from now on and keep it in stock!
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic inferior jars and lesser pectin Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page