Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  9:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Every year a nearby town (about 40 miles) does a Christmas Stroll for two days. All the businesses stay open until 9pm, there is music and free food and drink. The town is done up in lights and decorations like a mini north pole. They have horse carriage/wagon rides, they block the main street off from driving and the kids run up and down the street sledding and having fun. Every few businesses has a fire cairn out front to warm yourself by and everyone just has so much fun!

We went for the first time this year. Nora got to roast marshmallows and make smores. We went into the Candy Emporium and got a paper sack of candy for a few dollars, and enjoyed some original music at the bookstore. Nora got some yummy hot chocolate and a brownie and got to play with some toys. We missed visiting with Santa by a smidge but that's okay because he had to go home to feed the reindeer!

I thought about taking pictures- but decided to keep the phone put away. It was a great night. We were worried it was going to be too cold, but it actually felt wonderful out. It was probably around 20 degrees but we all had so much fun that we didn't really feel it.

Doug and I were talking about how we would love it if every town did something so unified and fun around the holidays. It was a great way for local businesses to be supported but also a great way to just get out and know your neighbors! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  10:32:56 PM  Show Profile
That does sound fun! Candy Emporium? You weren't in Red Lodge were you? If not your description sounds like what they'd look like if they did a Christmas fair. Sounds like you might have just started a new tradition for your family.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  05:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a really fun event, and really cozy! I agree, it would be neat if more towns could do something so unified and fun around the holidays. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  05:55:07 AM  Show Profile
How neat! It sounds like it was a lot of fun!

~jess
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh Alee-sounds like so much fun! Here, in Buffalo, one section of town does about the same thing, it's to promote local shopping, but it dosen't sound nearly as nice as the one you went to!
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  2:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes Alee I wanted to go last Friday night down to Red Lodge too. I had to be in charge of my department and could not leave in time. I just love going down there for their Christmas Stroll the first Friday night in December. They have a snow plow parade which starts @ 6:00 PM and is a real jewel to see. I love to just wonder the street and visit the stores. Sometimes you get lucky and you can chat with the store owners and get a better feel about the store.

Next year might be my last winter in this area and I so have to go to Red Lodge for their Christmas Stroll. Hope to see you there too Alee next year.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  5:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That would be so much fun Madelynne! We need to get together some time soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  8:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee, that sounds so fun! Our town does a Christmas parade every year, but I wasn't able to go this year. I used to walk in it though, with my Girl Scout Troop and then my grade school. But I wish we did a Christmas Stroll, or something similar. It sounds like a lot of fun!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  04:16:07 AM  Show Profile
We usually go to 2 Christmas walks every year. This year we just went to the neighboring towns walk. The weather was excellent. 50 degrees. It was fun to visit the shops, enjoy the food and hear the singers! Everyone was in such a festive mood. They really go all out during this walk, we've gone back to visit businesses because we liked what we saw during the holidays.

I learned that a local ice cream shop (who makes homemade ice cream) has a craft & scoop night for $5.00 a kid! This weekend they're making gingerbread houses. Guess where we're going? I love giving my business to the 'little guys' and this is a way to support them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Christmas Stroll Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page