Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bringing Christmas Home Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Christmas nowadays is becoming a completely frantic commercial nightmare. People rush through Halloween, pause briefly to fortify them selves at Thanksgiving for Black Friday. Then its non-stop shopping madness til Christmas. Where did the holidays go??? It is completely appalling that America has forgotten the meaning of Christmas in all ways.

Farmgirls know the meaning of family and home. Please help me make a great big list of things to do with self, family, friends and community to bring Christmas home again

Here is my list ~

1.) Always take the time with family to make your home ready to welcome Christmas. To me it's a ritual to run a quick clean and dust around the house. Get out your Christmas dishes, linens and decorations and dust them off and freshen them up.

2.) Find community celebrations and performances to go to

3.) Plan a cookie swap and send out invitations

4.) Plan a Christmas caroling party, choose your songs, rehears and sing to your neighbors , ask if you can come sing in retirement homes, children's hospitals any place that needs the Christmas cheer

5.)Plan several smaller Christmas parties, much less stressful that one ginormous one! and you actual get to spend more time with each guest.

6.) If you buy a tree each year, plan a party or celebration around finding and bringing your tree home. If you have an artificial tree, make setting it up special by planning a family celebration around the tree. have treats, sing Christmas tree songs =)

7.) We love to cook and bake, so Drew and I go through my many cook and holiday books, choosing new treats and recipes to try each year.

8.) Drive around as a family and look at the Christmas lights

9) Go to your town's Christmas Parade

10) Decorate your home and tree as a family, or if you are living alone invite friends.

11.) If you are a religious family, pray together for your selves, family, friends and good will and hope for the world. Prayer is always comforting and reaffirming when times are tough. If you are not of a religion a great big family hug and I-love-this-about-you time of family and/or friend togetherness is wonderful. Heck I'm doing both!

12. Make a family Christmas bucket list and do things that everyone has asked for.

13. Be at home, yours or your families, for Christmas. celebrate together, try to make Christmas a celebration of the home, family and spirit again. No fussin' no fightin', mind your manners, smile and laugh, no poutin', drink egg nog, hot chocolate, eat candy canes, make snow angels. Love one another.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Rachelle
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rachelle
Reinholds PA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  5:02:23 PM  Show Profile
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WRITING THIS! My thoughts EXACTLY!

Quote to live on
"To Simplfy, Simplfy" Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  9:12:55 PM  Show Profile
DH and I have had this conversation for the last couple of days. When I saw news about people being pepper sprayed and being robbed outside stores, all I could think was what a way to celebrate Jesus' birth. I've made a promise to myself to be more thoughtful to others, shop locally and frugally, and try my best to instill the reason for the season into all we do. This craziness must stop.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  04:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Remember those less fortunate - give a gift to a child/family in need,

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Annika I love your list! And tho I celebrate the Winter Solstice & the rebirth of the Oak King,I am in agreement with Melina-where this is to be a spiritual time of joy,of rebirth (or birth,depending upon your spiritual path) a truly mystical wondrous time... modern marketing has turned it into a frenzied "grab it while you can" time of year. Oddly enough to show generousity to loved ones. I've made a humble start at decorating & would like to decorate the porch this year. I hate ladders & with Dad getting older I'm paranoid of having him outline the house in lights-thinking of a easier display of holiday wonder.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.fleabagatelle.com
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Had to laugh, after DH read my post last night he said "When did Christmas shopping become an extreme sport?" Yep, it's right up there with bungee jumping.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile
Here are some more ideas

14.) If you have snow, have an old fashioned sledding party!
15.) "adopt" a child or family to feed and give gifts to for Christmas
16.) If your life truly has room for it, adopt a shelter pet
17.) Create a family Christmas scrapbook and photo album. take pics of each years Christmas, save the best to the scrap book, make notes of favorite foods, funny things said and any other important thing to you and your family.
18.) If you belong to a church, volunteer to help with Christmas programs etc, become involved in the Christmas choir etc.
19.) invite family, friends or neighbors over to an old fashioned evening of watching Christmas movies, singing Christmas carols, making popcorn balls, having a taffy pull, making simple homemade holiday decorations and just having fun.
20.) What ever your spiritual beliefs, take time out of the hectic rush to reconnect with them, honour traditions, Bring those traditions to your home and celebrate them.
21.) When you go Christmas shopping, try to keep the fun in it =)
22.) If you have kids, get together with other parents and put together a neighborhood concert or play...it doesn't need to be perfect, the imperfections will make it more dear
23.) Read out loud to each other. Andrew and I love taking turns reading to each other while we cook or just sit together and relax.
24.) Volunteer!
25.) Make gingerbread houses
26.) Enjoy nature together. go for walks, go to parks or botanical gardens. Nature is beautiful all year long!
27. Create a new family tradition to pass along through the years
For instance, since our families are spread all over America and parts of Europe and the Pacific...we do an 8 o'clock Christmas eve toast to family near and far forever close in our hearts. Followed by parental calls and sibling calls back and forth.

Please add your own traditions and ideas

Hugs

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  10:30:06 AM  Show Profile
A lot of these things should be done all year long, not just at Christmas.

Its good to know I'm not the only one disappointed I with the human race.
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  5:45:54 PM  Show Profile
I love this post! It is very disheartening how materialistic our society has become. Did you hear about the woman who went mad and was macing people? All this craziness over THINGS.I agree with Tamara....remember those less fortunate. I make a point of buying a bag of groceries to take to the food pantry (amoung other times.) Actually, my mom and I usually do this together. The food pantries around here are having a hard time keeping the shelves full....or even semi-full for that matter so they can use all the help they can get!
Annika, you have a lot of great ideas! I love the one about the toast to those you can't be with. Such a neat idea!

Blessings to you all!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile
I like to buy a new jig saw puzzle and set it up where people can come into my home and try their hand at putting a few peices of the puzzle together.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:30:09 AM  Show Profile
Annika, I loved both your lists and the many other suggestions FG's made. I have been trying this year to really work on non-commercialized activities and gifts.

I sometimes wonder if it's just the metro areas or is this shift away from the heart felt and homemade everywhere? Why have we become a society made up of have the most and spend the most??

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
The absolute most important thing to us is time with FAMILY! We focus on just doing things together, which includes some of things on the lists. As far as gifts? We spend very little on gifts for anyone. Again, we focus on either making things ourselves that are special and unique for family members (and friends that we chose to give a gift to). My hubby and I are both creative crafters . . as is my daughter.

Many years ago we told other members of our family that we wanted to skip the gift-giving rituals that were basically meaningless and only consumed money to which everyone heartily agreed. We have, for several years, made it a practice to "shop" in the "gift catalog" of either Samaritans Purse, World Vision or Mercy Ships . . . all of these are Christian relief organizations that have worldwide impact. We select something for each member of our family and send them a card to "honor" them with that gift to the organization. Someone who REALLY NEEDS it receives the actual gift, our family member receive the HONOR. We have also, for as long as we've been married (43 years) supported a child through World Vision.

Our FAMILY and our GIFTING focus! We are BLESSED!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Last night we got a new board game for Nora and all sat down and played. We had so much fun and it was great to bond as a family. I a
so thankful for these moments. These are great ideas!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  12:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness!!!
Could not agree more!!
I am not sure when or how it all became so awful, but it sure has!
Just not that many years ago, it was everyone's fab time of year. It was fun to be in stores, no matter your faith or beliefs? There was an excitement and happiness in the air that seemed contagious!!
It saddens me greatly anymore. It is up to each of us to bring it special and meaningful in our own lives and families!!
I am also trying to just bring the joy and simplicity back!
Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  06:46:01 AM  Show Profile
It's been awful for sometime, now...this is going to sound strange, but I was never raised to be one of those crazy "black Friday" shoppers, but my mother always went overboard on Christmas and I know she loved gift giving. It wasn't until I was married and we really struggled for several years to even BUY gifts for people that it occurred to me what IS important and what ISN'T during the holiday. No matter how much we were struggling, it occurred to me that it could always be worse. So my husband and I donated what little we had, and it really brought home "what" Christmas is about.

Even still, today, we have a gift exchange in our immediate family, the limit is $40.00. I simply ask that my "gift" be donated to my charity (or charities) of choice. I know my sil thinks I'm nuts, but I just feel like we have everything we need. Everything. A freezer full of food, our health, a happy, healthy, beautiful child, a house full of fur kids. The bills are paid (mostly) and even though that doesn't leave a lot to go on, it's better this year than it has been in years. And I'm grateful---SO grateful.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  07:10:38 AM  Show Profile
This is very similar to my latest blog topic. (although, I do think you are way more eloquent than I) Over the last few years, we've incorporated our Advent calendar into helping us to slow down and truly savor the time leading up to Christmas.

I love the gathering of ideas!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  3:45:53 PM  Show Profile
I shop all year long so I don't have to go to the stores at Christmas.
We give and use advent calendars. We also use a daily reading from our church.
I love and need the sun (I have seasonal affective disorder). I have always celebrated the winter solstice and the return of the sun getting longer. I light a candle and my husband and I offer a prayer of thanksgiving for sunlight and Gods many blessings from nature. That time is always calm and quiet and full of graditude.
When my daughter was little (and now my grandgirls) she got "magic PJs" that "helped you fall asleep faster so Santa could come."
We have lived at the beach for the past 18 months. Last year I took a walk on the beach and collected little shells and sand and seaweed, etc. and I put it in a clear glass ornament with a note recapturing 2010 and hung it on the tree. This year I plan to do it again.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  3:47:56 PM  Show Profile
And DUH, I forgot the most important thing. When my DD was little and she now does it with my grandgirls, we always made a birthday cake for "baby Jesus" that we ate Christmas eve after we came back from midnight church service.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Relientkrazy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Connie Jo
Portland OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  10:19:08 PM  Show Profile
I love everyone's ideas. And I, like many of you, feel that it is an important time to "be a family"...a family with the people you live with in your home and with the people you live with on this planet.

I have to tell you a story about how I started a Christmas tradition in our family. It was Christmas eve. My husband was working nights. We had hardly any money...barely surviving. The kids, my son who was probably about 9 and my daughter who was probably 4, watched as I completely cleared off the dining room table and covered it with plastic wrap. I made spaghetti for dinner. I pretended to trip and the spaghetti went onto the table and not on a plate. "Oh well! Let's just eat it on the table!" The kids couldn't believe it. We ate spaghetti off the table on Christmas Eve for years. Now that the kids are 19 and 24, we don't eat off the table, but we do still have spaghetti for Christmas Eve.

Everyone have a blessed Christmas!

Connie Jo
Farmgirl 3640

Recyle, Reuse, Relove something old! Everything deserves a second chance!

Edited by - Relientkrazy on Nov 29 2011 10:19:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  5:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Love these ideas. We always take a angel tree name and we have sing and have birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas eve. This year Im baking cookies for all my neighbors. Im giving all my friends a gift. most are homemade. The best kind.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  5:46:51 PM  Show Profile
My mother was from Ireland and brought customs with her that I still cherish and look forward to each Christmas. My favorite is to light the candles for the windows, to show Joseph and Mary the way to the inn. We leave a bit of hay or carrots for the donkey, and an apple and a handful of nuts to Mary and Joseph on their journey.

=)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  08:05:44 AM  Show Profile
For myself, this year I am struggling to get into the spirit, as this will be my first Christmas without any of my children, all of whom are scattered across the country and the world.

I have to say though, I wish more people would "Unplug" Christmas and return to family. No matter what your beliefs, it should be a holiday for being together.

I hope I will recover from my Scrooginess in time to decorate a bit and celebrate!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  06:45:36 AM  Show Profile
I love this post Annika! We have already done several things on the list!

Our family went to our local Light Parade last night and community party in the park. It was a lot of fun to get all bundled up and see the crazy floats local businesses came up with all covered in lights. This is a new tradition for us as we just moved to this community.

We have made two different kinds of Christmas cookies and more on the way! Also, we always go to my MIL's house to make cutout sugar cookies every year, so that's coming up soon.

I also bought a board game for us to play on spontaneous moments (Apples to Apples Jr.)...we've played it several times already!

We are reading a great advent book together this year, it's called Bartholomew's Passage. Last year we read Jotham's Journey. I highly recommend these books!

We will be attending the Macy's (Formerly Marshall Fields, Formerly Dayton's) Christmas exhibit they always do each year with different Christmas themes. At the end of the exhibit, you can visit Santa. I don't know if they do that in other parts of the United States or not, but it's really quite magical for little kids and big little kids! ;)

There are so many more things we love doing together...it just takes time and a little planning. Merry Christmas!!!!

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread - thanks, Annika. Lots of great ideas.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  3:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Annika, what a great post! I think that so much of Christmas is lost on gifts and shopping and parties and whatnot that we don't slow down to realize the true meaning of Christmas. My theology teacher told us that Advent and Christmas are really good times of the liturgical to slow down and really think about are we prepared? It's also a great time of year to focus on giving to others, not just ourselves. Thanks for the list!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  2:10:23 PM  Show Profile
Annika, those are beautiful traditions to keep from your mother. Since we are Irish in our household, I think I might borrow them from her, too. It would be an honor, I know how you must miss her. Since Violet is small, but now is "getting" Christmas, I am beginning our own traditions. We are baking for neighbors (gingerbread that is from a recipe that's nearly 100 years old) and going to the holiday train display, visiting our zoo's Festival of Lights and other things i remember from my childhood.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bringing Christmas Home Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page