True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  8:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

I just tried garlic scapes for the first time this week. I bought 8 for $1 at the Farmer's Market in town. I made a pasta sauce with Italian sausage, and threw them some in for extra flavour. Yum! Tonite, I sauteed the scapes in some butter and added them to the mashed potatoes and parsnips we had with dinner tonite. Also very tasty! They are so versatile, and so much milder than garlic. I just wish they were available all year long.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  06:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
what is a garlic scape

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  12:07:09 PM  Show Profile
Garlic scapes are the seed heads that form on the garlic as it grows (the above the ground part) and need to be picked off so most of the energy of the plant will go into bulb formation. They taste like garlic and can be toasted or fried (sauteed) or battered and fried. They are more mild than the garlic cloves. There was a previous file on garlic here on the site and I think it had some recipes for them also and you could probably find it in a search at the top right.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Garlic Scapes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page