Enchanted Willow
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  1:23:13 PM  Show Profile
I love food. I'm never going to deny it! I love reading anything that has recipes in it, so I think I'll be on this forum the most.

I've never had fresh farm grown garlic until now, and I will never have store bought garlic again. Although I live in a city right now, I go to my local farm market every Wednesday and Thursday and buy fresh local vegetables and fruit. Last week, I purchased some garlic to make roasted garlic oil with. They were small bulbs, tight and compact, attached to long stems, and smelled sweet. I kept them in the fridge for a week before I had the time to open them. Boy! When I did, the whole concept of garlic for me changed. Not only were there no dry husky little cloves, each clove was voluminous, exquisite and moist with a lilac colored shell, but I could eat a peice without that nasty bitter aftertaste found in store bought garlic. I should have bought more, I use garlic all the time and now, I know what true garlic should look, feel and smell like. I am overjoyed, yet disappointed that I didn't know about this sooner!

I welcome anyone elses fresh garlic recipes

Herbalist, Natural Health & Beauty Consultant

Edited by - Enchanted Willow on Aug 02 2006 1:32:53 PM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  3:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmmm I love garlic too!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  8:25:26 PM  Show Profile
"I will never have store bought garlic again." I here this all the time at the farmers market when folks buy garlic from me.Fresh is better.After they are cured and the husk turns papery they are still wonderful and become a little more flavorful. What makes the store garlic bitter is mosly the fact that it is old (6mos or more and that it has started sprouting caused by age and /or refrigeration).There are also lots of varieties of garlics with different flavors. The commercial varities are like the commercial tomatoes big pretty and tastless. So go buy some more fresh local garlic BUT keep that garlic out of the refrigeraror . As for recipes any recipe that has garlic in it will benifit from FRESH garlic.
Here are a few
Three Garlic Pasta

Source of Recipe

foodnetwork.com
1 head plus 8 cloves garlic
1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
Wrap garlic head in foil, or place it in a garlic roaster; roast until garlic becomes soft and golden, about 1 hour. Let cool, and trim tip of head; squeeze out cloves using the back of a knife. Transfer cloves to a small bowl, and set aside.

Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, and place under cold water to stop cooking.

Thinly slice 5 cloves unroasted garlic. Finely chop remaining 3 cloves. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add sliced garlic; toast until golden and crisp. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon, and set it aside. Add chopped garlic, and saute until translucent, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add roasted garlic and white wine; let simmer about 3 minutes. Add pasta, parsley, red-pepper flakes, and salt and pepper; to taste, toss. Serve sprinkled with toasted garlic slivers. Grate cheese over each serving.

Easy Garlic Pasta
1 lbs box of spaghetti pasta noodles
½ stick butter
1 med head of garlic
8-10 basil leaves
Fresh Parmesan Cheese
While pasta is cooking place butter, garlic (pressed), and basil (finely chopped) in a heat proof glass bowl. Place bowl over boiling pot of pasta and let butter melt. Stir all ingredients together. Remove bowl and when pasta is done, drain. Pour hot pasta over butter mixture and toss .Addfreshly grated Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. And serve. This can be a whole meal just add cooked shrimp or chicken

Garlic and Basil Cream Sauce over pasta
8 oz penne or other pasta 4 tbs. Butter 4 cloves garlic (minced or pressed) 1 cup light cream
10-12 basil leaves 1 med. shallot pepper and salt Freshly grated parmesan

Cook pasta. Melt butter in a small deep skillet. Add Garlic and shallots saute' 3 min. over low heat. pour in cream , basil , salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat covered but vented 7-10 min. until thickened. Pour sauce over pasta and add cheese

Garlic Honey Dressing
2-3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup honey
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs Cider Vinegar
½ cup Kraft mayonnaise
Press garlic and other ingredients and mix well.
To add extra zing use one of the HOT garlic’s or a little fresh ginger

Garlic Roasted Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes 2 heads of garlic Butter or Olive Oil Salt & pepper parmesan cheese Parsley Bake potatoes and garlic at 400 for 45 mins or until done.
Cut the potatoes in fourths , Mix garlic ,salt, pepper with butter or olive oil brush on potatoes ( all sides) broil until lightly golden brown sprinkle with parsley and cheese and serve
Roasted Garlic Turkey Breast with Garlicky Gravy
Fresh Turkey Breast 2 Heads Garlic peeled 1 stick Butter Seasoned Salt Cheese Cloth
Sprinkle Turkey with seasoned salt (inside and out) Melt butter then soak cheese cloth in butter .Stuff peeled Garlic in cavity of turkey. Wrap turkey in cheese cloth. Do not cover turkey with lid. Not necessary to baste. Follow turkey breast baking time and temperature. Place turkey drippings in a sauce pan add a few of the roasted garlic cloves . Mix 1/2 cup flour with 1 1/2 cups warm water in small bowl and whisk until smooth .Stirring constantly add flour mixture to slightly warm drippings . Place pan on med heat and stir constantly until gravy is smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Add water to gravy to achieve desired thickness if needed. Remove cheese cloth before serving.

Garlic Grits
3/4 cup old fashioned grits
3 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
2-4 cloves garlic crushed chopped fine
2 tbsp butter
pinch cayenne pepper Heat oven to 350F. Butter a 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Bring water and salt to boil. Slowly stir in grits. Stir often until all water is absorbed and grits are soft, about 10-15 min. Beat eggs and temper with small amount of grits. Return to pan with grits along with remainder of ingredients, stir well on low heat until cheese melts and mixes in. Pour into casserole and bake until top just begins to brown, 35-40 min.

Garlic Roasted Puree
4 heads garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the bottoms off the garlic heads. Leave skins on, and place in a small baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool. Slip from the skins by squeezing and place in food processor. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Spread on toasted French bread, baked potatoes or grilled chicken. Makes 3/4 cup.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I have a confession to make...I am having a love affair...it involves this small stand on the back road near my house...every fall I go there and buy dozens of heads of the most beautiful garlic... I use it in anything I think it would taste good in, and that is almost everything!

My favorites:

Garlic Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

4 TBS butter or margarine
6 med-size whole chicken legs
6 med-size potatoes (about 2 lbs)
24 garlic cloves, unpeeled
salt
1/4 cup maple or maple-flavor syrup

In a large roasting pan, in 400 degree oven, melt the butter or margarine. Remove the pan from the oven.
Meanwhile, cut the chicken legs apart at the joints. Cut potatoes into bite-size chunks.
Place chicken pieces, potato chunks and garlic in roasting pan; sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Turn ingredients to coat with melted butter, and arrange chicken pieces skin side up. Bake 40 minutes, basting the chicken and potatoes occasionally with drippings in the pan.
In cup, mix maple syrup with 1/2 tsp. salt. Brush chicken with maple syrup mixture, and spoon drippings over potatoes occasionally: bake 20 minutes longer or until chicken and potatoes are fork-tender.
To serve, arrange chicken, potatoes and garlic on a large platter, skim fat from drippings and pour pan juices over the chicken. Let each person squeeze the garlic onto their chicken and potatoes. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
(This is heavenly...I make it a lot for family and friends, and have given the recipe out numerous times)

Our favorite side: Cut a baguette into rounds and toast lightly. Rub a garlic clove over the bread, drizzle with good olive oil, and sprinkle with a crunchy salt, like kosher or sea salt.

Another favorite: Sliced summer tomatoes with minced fresh garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper...potent, but so delicious!

When I do mashed potatoes, I always throw 3 peeled cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when I boil them. They get drained and mashed right with the potatoes, and the flavor is infused right into the mashed potatoes.

I also make garlic chips a lot to serve with food...just put a layer of oil in the bottom of a small skillet and add as much sliced garlic as you want. Heat gently over medium heat and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. These are crispy slivers of flavor...just don't burn them! I serve them with any meat and potato meal, although I find myself eating a lot of them before they make it to the table!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Enchanted Willow
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  4:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Garlic Jewelry? Tell me about that!

quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

www.willowtreecreek.com

Go to Top of Page

Enchanted Willow
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips and recipes garliclady!

quote:
Originally posted by garliclady

"I will never have store bought garlic again." I here this all the time at the farmers market when folks buy garlic from me.Fresh is better.After they are cured and the husk turns papery they are still wonderful and become a little more flavorful. What makes the store garlic bitter is mosly the fact that it is old (6mos or more and that it has started sprouting caused by age and /or refrigeration).There are also lots of varieties of garlics with different flavors. The commercial varities are like the commercial tomatoes big pretty and tastless. So go buy some more fresh local garlic BUT keep that garlic out of the refrigeraror . As for recipes any recipe that has garlic in it will benifit from FRESH garlic.
Here are a few
Three Garlic Pasta

Source of Recipe

foodnetwork.com
1 head plus 8 cloves garlic
1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
Wrap garlic head in foil, or place it in a garlic roaster; roast until garlic becomes soft and golden, about 1 hour. Let cool, and trim tip of head; squeeze out cloves using the back of a knife. Transfer cloves to a small bowl, and set aside.

Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, and place under cold water to stop cooking.

Thinly slice 5 cloves unroasted garlic. Finely chop remaining 3 cloves. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add sliced garlic; toast until golden and crisp. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon, and set it aside. Add chopped garlic, and saute until translucent, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add roasted garlic and white wine; let simmer about 3 minutes. Add pasta, parsley, red-pepper flakes, and salt and pepper; to taste, toss. Serve sprinkled with toasted garlic slivers. Grate cheese over each serving.

Easy Garlic Pasta
1 lbs box of spaghetti pasta noodles
½ stick butter
1 med head of garlic
8-10 basil leaves
Fresh Parmesan Cheese
While pasta is cooking place butter, garlic (pressed), and basil (finely chopped) in a heat proof glass bowl. Place bowl over boiling pot of pasta and let butter melt. Stir all ingredients together. Remove bowl and when pasta is done, drain. Pour hot pasta over butter mixture and toss .Addfreshly grated Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. And serve. This can be a whole meal just add cooked shrimp or chicken

Garlic and Basil Cream Sauce over pasta
8 oz penne or other pasta 4 tbs. Butter 4 cloves garlic (minced or pressed) 1 cup light cream
10-12 basil leaves 1 med. shallot pepper and salt Freshly grated parmesan

Cook pasta. Melt butter in a small deep skillet. Add Garlic and shallots saute' 3 min. over low heat. pour in cream , basil , salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat covered but vented 7-10 min. until thickened. Pour sauce over pasta and add cheese

Garlic Honey Dressing
2-3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup honey
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs Cider Vinegar
½ cup Kraft mayonnaise
Press garlic and other ingredients and mix well.
To add extra zing use one of the HOT garlic’s or a little fresh ginger

Garlic Roasted Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes 2 heads of garlic Butter or Olive Oil Salt & pepper parmesan cheese Parsley Bake potatoes and garlic at 400 for 45 mins or until done.
Cut the potatoes in fourths , Mix garlic ,salt, pepper with butter or olive oil brush on potatoes ( all sides) broil until lightly golden brown sprinkle with parsley and cheese and serve
Roasted Garlic Turkey Breast with Garlicky Gravy
Fresh Turkey Breast 2 Heads Garlic peeled 1 stick Butter Seasoned Salt Cheese Cloth
Sprinkle Turkey with seasoned salt (inside and out) Melt butter then soak cheese cloth in butter .Stuff peeled Garlic in cavity of turkey. Wrap turkey in cheese cloth. Do not cover turkey with lid. Not necessary to baste. Follow turkey breast baking time and temperature. Place turkey drippings in a sauce pan add a few of the roasted garlic cloves . Mix 1/2 cup flour with 1 1/2 cups warm water in small bowl and whisk until smooth .Stirring constantly add flour mixture to slightly warm drippings . Place pan on med heat and stir constantly until gravy is smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Add water to gravy to achieve desired thickness if needed. Remove cheese cloth before serving.

Garlic Grits
3/4 cup old fashioned grits
3 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
2-4 cloves garlic crushed chopped fine
2 tbsp butter
pinch cayenne pepper Heat oven to 350F. Butter a 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Bring water and salt to boil. Slowly stir in grits. Stir often until all water is absorbed and grits are soft, about 10-15 min. Beat eggs and temper with small amount of grits. Return to pan with grits along with remainder of ingredients, stir well on low heat until cheese melts and mixes in. Pour into casserole and bake until top just begins to brown, 35-40 min.

Garlic Roasted Puree
4 heads garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the bottoms off the garlic heads. Leave skins on, and place in a small baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool. Slip from the skins by squeezing and place in food processor. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Spread on toasted French bread, baked potatoes or grilled chicken. Makes 3/4 cup.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
]

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  9:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Garlic Jewelry? Tell me about that!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

www.willowtreecreek.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I make and wear garlic earrings . I wear my earrings each Saturday to the farmers market.

]

Edited by - garliclady on Aug 04 2006 04:46:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  09:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Oh, can't wait to try these receipes...thank you!

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Garlic is so easy to grow, too. You could easily grow some in your flower bed if you wanted to do a few of your own. Take a few of those cloves you have bought at the farmers market, and in first part of October plant them about an inch or so deep, then mulch them with a bunch of leaves or grass chopped up from the mower.
They will come up right thru the mulch - die back a little in the winter, then grow in the spring - you don't have to do anything but pick them at the end of July (oh, and have to pick off the seed heads and eat them when you see them growing right up in the middle of the plant). Its like growing beets or radishes, plant a seed(in this case a clove), then when its ready, pick it and eat it.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Enchanted Willow
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I live in an apartment, do they grow in pots?

quote:
Originally posted by OregonGal

Garlic is so easy to grow, too. You could easily grow some in your flower bed if you wanted to do a few of your own. Take a few of those cloves you have bought at the farmers market, and in first part of October plant them about an inch or so deep, then mulch them with a bunch of leaves or grass chopped up from the mower.
They will come up right thru the mulch - die back a little in the winter, then grow in the spring - you don't have to do anything but pick them at the end of July (oh, and have to pick off the seed heads and eat them when you see them growing right up in the middle of the plant). Its like growing beets or radishes, plant a seed(in this case a clove), then when its ready, pick it and eat it.

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile
That's something I don't know about. Do you have a south-facing balcony where you could put them out? They aren't quite like a kitchen herb you would grow in a window. you could try a clove or two in a pot and see what happens if you feel so inclined to try it. In your case, the farmers market may be the better alternative. I thought perhaps that since you mentioned you were in the city that you might just be in a house/condo in a neighborhood - in that event you could just stick them in a flowerbed.

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I just went to my favorite farmstand yesterday because the sign was out, and fresh garlic was to be had! Oh, I love this time of year!! Garlic, basil, sweet corn, Hand melons, tomatoes...YUM!!!!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile
wow, I never realized garlic was so easy to grow! I'm definitely going to have to try it!

chris, you mentioned eating the seed heads. What are those and how do you eat them?

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  12:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Garlic scapes are the seed heads that form on the garlic as it grows (the above the ground part) and need to be picked off so the energy of the plant will go into bulb formation. They taste like garlic and can be toasted or fried (sauteed) or battered and fried. They are more mild than the garlic cloves. There was a previous file on garlic here on the site and I think it had some recipes for them also and you could probably find it in a search at the top right. It may have been posted by garliclady or herblady - not sure of that, though.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fresh Garlic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page