Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Haven't really sewn much, but want to try.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Haven't really sewn much, but want to try. Next Topic  

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  06:26:46 AM  Show Profile
I took sewing in 7th grade (I'm 51 now, so do the math, it's been awhile!) and haven't sewn much since. A few bags for stuffing lavender in, a ripped piece of clothing there. I have an older machine I got at a yard sale years ago.
In January, I want to try my hand at buying a pattern and sewing something. Obviously, it will have to be something easy.
Any suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  06:51:05 AM  Show Profile
How about a basic apron or some pot holders.

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile
An apron, pillows, maybe some place mats or cloth napkins.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Older machines are better as far as I've been told, and my experience. As long as it's a good machine that's the important thing. I have older machines and people go on and on about how good they are. I also have a "newer" brother and people say they don't like it much. I just put down some money for a older bernina (layaway).

All that being said, I too haven't sewn since 7th grade home economics, and I just started sewing again last year around this time! lol haha So far so good. The first thing I sewed was a slip. (well by myself that is, a friend helped me sew a dress first). Then I did a skirt. Just finished a VERY very basic jacket. I'm going to make a turtle neck tomorrow. And then a skirt. I've also done a tee shirt in class, around January this year. If you have a local store, NOT something like joanns but a real locally owned store that has classes, I highly suggest them. My local store uses kwik sew patterns, but they take your measurements at least a week (if not longer) before the class is scheduled, and custom fit the pattern to you. And they only accept 4 students per a class, and there is a TON of one on one help, and interaction and you finish the project in class. (I've heard others just kind of talk to you in class then you go home and make the project, I don't see how that's much of a help at all!). Also they encourage you to bring your own machine in and they will help you learn to use it, so that you can easily go home and remake the project that we made in class.

Any way, I suggest kwik sew patterns. If you decide to make a garment remember that the sizes on the package aren't the same as RTW (ready to wear) clothing. However, for kwik sew they pretty much are, but for the big four they are NOT at all. The big four are-butterick, mc call's, and the like. Kwik Sew are easy, well drafted, and closer to RTW clothing in sizes. Don't let the less fancy pics on their envelopes scare you from the patterns, as I also think kwik sew has more classic patterns then faddish ones that the big four puts out. Just choose modern fabric and you have classic clothing with kwik sew.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  09:03:11 AM  Show Profile
oh and one more thing, I have found what I like also by going to patternreview.com first I check what I think I like on kwik sews website, then I put in the number at pattern review and I see what others have made. Seeing how others have made it, and how it looks on a real person with my same approximate body type, that hasn't been to the hair dressers and make up artist to look some how I can't resemble (like the models on the pattern package! lol) helps me figure out if it will be a good pattern for my body or not a lot! Also by reading some of the reviews I can figure out if it's something I think I can tackle or something I should hold off until I get more experience under my belt first. Also oddly enough there's been a few patterns I thought would NEVER work for my body type but looks awesome on the people who made them up with my body type, has really changed my mind on quite a few patterns!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  6:29:21 PM  Show Profile
I have done very little sewing in the past and have recently been wanting to do more, too. I have picked up a pattern for an a appron and have started it. Been thinking about taking a class after the holidays or finding a "sewing for dummies" book.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Haven't really sewn much, but want to try. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page