Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Cleaning Antique Large Wooden Bowl?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning Antique Large Wooden Bowl? Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  5:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Several years ago, at auction, I purchased a very huge and crude hand turned poplar wood bowl with no noticeable finishing sealant. I used to make my own potpourri with essential oils and filled this bowl over and over. To my dismay I have discovered a sticky residue on the inside of the bowl and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to clean it off and hopefully remove that stinky old essential oil scent out of the wood. I don't want to sand it as the patina is gorgeous and I don't want to change the integrity of the piece....and oh, I did try a little soap and hot water, but it didn't remove the stickiness...Any suggestions ladies?

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  10:43:57 AM  Show Profile
you might try rubbing alcohol as it may take it off. i would try it first on the bottom or in small spot to see if it discolors the piece.
that's how we take the sticky tape residue off of windows

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Would a little olive oil work? I have used oil in the past to remove sticky stuff, but never from wood. I don't think the oil would hurt, but like Megan, I would try it on a small spot first.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  1:33:34 PM  Show Profile
How about Citrasolve or a similar citrus cleaner used full strength? Another possibility might be Murphy's oil soap if you don't intend to use the bowl for food. I used Murphy's to get a sticky wax/cleaner residue off the parquet floor in my entryway when we moved in and it worked really well.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning Antique Large Wooden Bowl? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page