mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  5:33:19 PM  Show Profile
I have just a terrible time some days with awful migraines that won't go away but which produce nausea, banging in my head, and sensitivity for my eyes to light. Now, my question is, does anyone have a herbal or natural way of treating this? I hesitate to take prescription drugs because I'm pretty sure the side effects will make me sicker than the actual headache. I went thru menopause at 49 and that was it. Then these headaches came. The doc says there's nothing wrong with me...just something that happens. If anyone can think of anything that will spare me this awful pain, please let me know. I certainly will appreciate it. Excedrin migraine pills make me sick because of the aspirin. Clears my head up but makes me sick. Help! Thank you!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  6:18:58 PM  Show Profile
About a year ago I bought a product from Bath and Body Works called Aromatherapy Remedies Headache Relief with Peppermint Essential Oil. It does not list the ingredients so I don't know if you could call it "natural". I know for me the peppermint oil (smelling it) seems to help. My migranes are often accompanied with a stuffed nose. Often a 100% saline nasal spray helps me out. I too have tried not to "dope" myself up but sometime I just HAVE to take the Imatrex! My best advice is to find a cool dark room, cover your eyes, alternate heat and cold on your head and sleep it off. Oh yeah and get SOMETHING with peppermint oil!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  6:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I use to get 3 or 4 migrains a week I went to the chiropractor now I get one about every 2 or 3 months helped alot

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  6:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Someone told me to see a chiropractor but I just haven't yet. Are they expensive? I'm glad that has worked for you. I've also tried to watch my sugar (and other refined carbs) intake and my caffine intake and that seems to help. Only water and Decaf Iced Tea for me!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  6:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
mine is 25 dollars a visit
at first I went every week then after a few months every other week
now about once every other month when I can tell my back is starting to get out of alinement
which is what causess the headachs

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  6:57:21 PM  Show Profile
I read on Dr. Andrew Weil site (drweil.com) that he recommends butterbur. The following is an excerpt from his Question & Answer section:

..."a new study indicates that the herb butterbur (Petasites hybridus) is effective in preventing migraines. Patients who took two 75 mg tablets of butterbur extract cut headache occurrence by an average of 48 percent (compared to 26 percent among patients who got a placebo). The study was published in the December 28, 2004 issue of Neurology. When buying butterbur, be careful to choose extracts guaranteed to be free of pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) that are toxic to the liver. The supplement should be taken with meals."

"Other alternatives include dietary measures as well as vitamin B-2. A Belgian study published in the February 1998 issue of Neurologyfound that 400 mg of B-2 reduces the frequency and duration of migraines. You’ll need a doctor’s prescription to get that dosage."

I hope you find this information useful and if you try it, I hope it helps you!
Ali

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  7:41:35 PM  Show Profile
I have heard read years ago that migraines can be caused by lack of B vitamins. So you might want to bone up on some good b complex vitamins.
thankfully I have never had those... but knew a woman that did and I did a little reading on it years ago for her..and mentioned what I had read about the b vitamins..so she started taking them and said that it had really helped.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile
I get headaches alot...more bad stress headaches than migraines now..although I have had migraines in the past. I tend to take excedrin..asprin dosn't bother me. I have noticed, though, that when I remember to take my B vitamins I don't get nearly as many headaches. I get them when it is too hot out, or I am rushing too much, or don't get my "quiet time" it seems. Always have. Mine don't have a stuffy nose included though.
I try to avoid sugar and don't use artificial sweetner at all and seldom ever drink sodas, or eat really processed stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  8:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Julie... Dr. Six in Searcy is affordable as it goes. He does not make you get X-Rays which is the big expense.

I bought an orthopedic neck memory foam pillow and that has helped with my severe migrains. I use to wake up with them. Since I started using the pillow my migrains have been reduced to maybe 1 every six weeks. Also I make sure I take a decongestant at the first sign of feeling stuffy. I started taking B vitamins awhile back as well and maybe that's what's helping too. I never had heard of the B vitamin connection before now.

With my migrains I can't even allow my husband to sit on the bed with me and my sense of smell becomes so sharp I end up throwing up several times before it's all over. The day after a migrain I'm useless, it's like my brain can't function!

I hope you get some much needed relief!
Gentle hugs,
Cyn
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  07:01:28 AM  Show Profile
I second the food dye, sugar, artificial sweetners...
I also know that the B vitamins have helped me tons...especially B6 and B12..

Also, meditation, prayer, alone time and other relaxation techniques help me a ton. It is tough, I am a Mama of 4, but if I get some quiet time, we are all happier.

Good luck
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  4:35:34 PM  Show Profile
I just read this today about Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10):

Migraine: A study from Switzerland published in the February 22, 2005, issue of Neurology suggests that CoQ10 can help prevent and treat migraine headaches.

Source: www.DrWeil.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Migraine Headaches Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page