Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I am not going to cry... time for thanks-giving!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I am not going to cry... time for thanks-giving! Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  06:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving, Farmgirls! :)

Okay... I've been up since before crack o' dawn preparing this incredible feast for family and friends. Long story short? Suddenly a baked good that usually takes 1+ hours to bake suddenly smelled funny after being in for 20 minutes. I opened the door and voila - it looked like charcoal. Suddenly I started getting a signal on the control panel which means "runaway oven temperature." My oven, for all intents and purposes, is done.

SO... I am not going to cry.

Instead of crying...

I am thanking God above for not letting my house burn down.

I am thanking God above for coffee. Yesterday my coffee maker died and I ran out to replace it without a second thought. Thank God. I REALLY need coffee. ;)

I am thanking God above for my roaster, in which my turkey is safely roasting. AND I'm thanking God above for my brilliant mother who reminded me to use it last fall when the heating element on the dang oven went kaplooey on - was it Thanksgiving or Christmas? Can't remember... Anyhow, I think there may be another one somewhere up in the attic.. So I'm thanking God above for the attic, too. :)

I am thanking God above for a gas grill which can be used as an oven and even has a burner for stove top cooking if need be - and for a husband who is happily willing to clean whatever needs cleaning on it so that nothing char-grilly falls into my pie and casseroles.

I am thanking God above that only breakfast was ruined - I've got an army coming through today, and 9 wonderful family and friends who are looking forward to a delicious meal at 5:00 PM.

I am thanking God above for the family and friends that will surround me today, and for this story to share, which, although at the moment doesn't seem so funny, I am sure will later bring me to tears in laughter over coffee and apple pie. It will prove to be a great conversation starter to be sure!

I am thanking God above that the elderly retired couple who own and live above the appliance repair business a couple towns over just answered the phone, and that my husband is giggling with them about my now ever-famous holiday cooking and baking exploits. <They saved the day last time, too.> :)

I am thanking God above for my son who just came in to ask what that horrible burned smell is, and then gave me a big hug and said, "Don't worry about it, Mom. Everything will be all right." and kissed me on the top of my head.

I am thanking God that, although the gentleman my husband just spoke to said that our oven is probably toast, my husband is still laughing and said not to worry - he's happy with just the turkey.

Ah... Yes... I am thanking God above ... Just thanking God above.

See? No need to cry! All is well! I am just blessed to be reminded today of the true meaning of "Thanks giving!"

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Happy thanksgiving! I actually welled up reading your note, not out of saddness but out of joy at how your family is so strong and pulling together. I bet the feast will taste even better with all working together and laughing through it. I was proud of your husband and son for their great support and for your rallying even though you were ready to cry. I know it will all turn out great, maybe different than planned but truely great.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile
(((((Hugs)))))Happy Thanksgiving Nini, Things usually go better after thanking the Good Lord for all that we DO have. And it's a darned good thing for fresh coffee too! I'm sorry that your oven went kablooy on another holiday, but love how resourceful you are and I just know that it will be one of your most wonderful Thanksgivings ever

Hugs!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  06:53:39 AM  Show Profile
LOL! All is well, girls, truly! Thank you so much! We're having a good giggle already about all the past holidays where it's been me vs. the oven. The old adage in our old neighborhood used to be, "You know she's cooking when smoke comes billowing out of the windows!" And we literally lived a good portion of the movie "Christmas Vacation" before - complete with a friend's "Snots the dog" hacking under the table. It's all good. We survived before, we'll survive again. All this reminiscing has me in top spirits and heartily laughing - I feel better already! :) My hubby pulled the other roaster out of the attic and has started cleaning the grill... I think everything's going to be just fine! Just another one for the scrapbook! :)

Holiday hugs to all -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 24 2011 06:54:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  08:29:21 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving, Nini.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Necessisty is the mother of invention. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving. Yes we all have much to be thankful for...even the bad stuff. Hugs to you.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Or you could do like Ralphie's family on a Christmas Story...go out for Peking Duck...LOL.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13617 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13617 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  12:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
From one "Gardner girl" to another "Gardner girl" . . . GOD BLESS YOU!!!!
GOD IS GOOD!!!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING farmgirl friend!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, I had the same kind of experience today. I was making my lovely bacon wrapped weenies, and when I opened the oven they were blackened to a crisp. I then went to check on the turkey that was cooking in the roaster, and a fuse had blown and it was not cooking. Still cold. *sigh*

It could always be worse though. My husband is home this year, we are having a lovely bunny tea birthday party for Rosemary's birthday party this weekend so my mom is in town, so life is pretty good!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  2:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini....This Thanksgiving will certainly go down in the books! Sorry Hon!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  7:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Hugs right back to all of you! I hope you all had a wonderful celebration today! :)

We're fine, honest. 'Nothing a lot of hugs and giggles and napkins hidden under the table "just in case" can't handle! LOL! It was a very loooong day, and the food was kinda not as great as planned, but it was good 'nuff! And we sure did have a lot of fun being with family and friends, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. :)

Besides...I've been wanting to switch from electric to gas for a long time... 'Looks like Merry Christmas to Me!!! *<|;)} There's always a silver lining, right?

Lorie!!! I had to laugh when I read your post... At dinner, someone mentioned we could always go out for Chinese, and the next thing you know, we all broke out in unison, singing, "Deck de harrs wit boughs of horry... Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra.. Ra Ra.. Ra.. Ra." We absolutely cracked ourselves up. Everyone started reciting their favorite lines from the movie, which kept us in stitches all through the meal. We had such a blast! You would've loved it! Thank God for humor! It makes all the difference in the world!

Oh! Liz! That's awful! I'm so sorry that happened to you today! You're right, it can always be worse; but when you're in it, it can be pretty yucky. Just think, though, how this'll be one Thanksgiving you'll never forget! ;) I'll pray you have a MUCH better Christmas! And Rosemary's birthday bunny tea party sounds awesome - you all are going to have such a blast! You'll have to be sure to tell us all about it afterwards! Happy, Happy Birthday to Rosemary!!! :)

Well, I'd better go before they come hunting for me! Have a great weekend!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  9:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Aw, honey, so sorry your dessert was ruined, but you're right, there's a lot to be thankful for there
Go to Top of Page

cocina_girl
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Maria
Fayetteville NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  06:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Amen, sister! In all we can find reasons to thank God ALWAYS! And you sound like you have a wonderful family!

Best wishes!

Maria
Farmgirl #3030

A Blooming Spirit (http://jsimplylive.blogspot.com)
A Platter of Figs (http://aplatteroffigs.blogspot.com)
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  09:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Nini, you made it through to tell the legend! Sounds like you had a wonderful family time. (years ago we went through a similar holiday-thank God for inventing electric roasters)lol. Our dinner turned out just fine too. Thanks to very helpful guests.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  4:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Nini, glad you found it funny. Don't feel bad. My culinary disaster was homemade dinner rolls that didn't rise and turned out to be hockey pucks. Not as bad as yours, but we all have them. I hope your Thanksgiving turned out wonderful.

Lorie

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  6:58:17 PM  Show Profile
What a testimony Nini to giving thanks always.Sounds like you all had a great time!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile
I was just remembering my 1st Thanksgiving Turkey. Lived far away from home with husband and about to have first child. We invited our friends over for dinner. (I was the domestic flower child). I had rinsed out the turkey and was following direction to pat inside dry. Doorbell rang. Came back to the kitchen, put turkey in to roast. Went to carve turkey. I had left the dishtowel inside the turkey. lol

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I am not going to cry... time for thanks-giving! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page