Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Last minute dinner...need apple dessert suggestion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Last minute dinner...need apple dessert suggestion Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  7:16:07 PM  Show Profile
We were planning to travel for Thanksgiving, but the plan changed suddenly. I'll be cooking a Tofurkey at home for just the two of us, which is fine because I've done it before.

But I'm trying to decide on a dessert. I've got a lot of apples from my last trip to the farmer's market. I love pie, but crusts are so unpredictable. Does anyone have a spectacular recipe for apple cake, crisp, crumble, or anything of that ilk?

I've got homemade vanilla ice cream chilling...just need the perfect fruity bottom layer.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  7:28:48 PM  Show Profile
how about apple turnovers, and with anything apple that is baked, I add cranberries...you can make them with cresent roll dough, and instead of rolling, fill and fold on the diaginal.. peel and core them and in a bowl slice them thin, mix with a little brown sugar and cinnomin (Slice your apples over bowl to retain any juices) , if dry add a few drops of water, put in crust, fold and pinch down , leaving one corner open for steam so they don't blow up, brush with egg white so they don't get soggy, put on cookie sheet that is lightly oiled, and bake in 350 oven till golden brown...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 apple recipes that are amazing. You could always do an apple crisp too - yum!

Apple Crunch Pudding Cake
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
6 cups pared, sliced apples
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp butter
1 tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Stir in nuts. With a fork or knife, cut in 3/4 cup butter & combine until mixture is crumbly. Press 1/2 the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Toss apple slices with lemon juice & arrange neatly on top. Dot with butter & top with remaining crumbs. Bake 40 min or until apples are soft. Cool slightly & spoon into bowls for serving. Top with whipped cream or ice cream.

Bavarian Apple Torte (This is amazing!)
Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter/margarine
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pat down on sides & base of a 9" springform pan.

Filling:
1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
Combine softened cream cheese & sugar. Mix in egg & vanilla, whip until smooth. Pour into springform pan over graham crust.

Topping:
5 tart apples
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
Peel & slice apples. Place evenly on top of filling. Combine cinnamon & sugar, sprinkle over apples. Sprinkle almonds over topping. Bake at 350 for 40 min or until center is almost set. Cool completely before serving.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  9:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow, those all look really great! Thanks!

Tina, I didn't have any crescent roll dough but I took your advice and added other fruit to my apple crisp. Husband objected to cranberries (?!) so I fell back on raisins and apricots. It was pretty good, but not as good as your or Pam's recipes sound. I've got ideas now for Christmas...or any nice cold day this winter.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  09:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Amie, sneak in those cranberries, he will change his mind when he eats it, lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Last minute dinner...need apple dessert suggestion Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page