Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 God Jul, Yule, Christmas...traditions....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic God Jul, Yule, Christmas...traditions.... Next Topic  

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  08:43:28 AM  Show Profile
So we celebrate Christmas only casually as a Pagan Family. Our major celebration is Yuletide...the Winter Solstice...We also celebrate SinterKlaus Tag on December 5th (also my son's b-day :-D )

On SinterKlaus Tag the kids' stockings are filled with treats and a toy I have knitted or crocheted in amigurumi.

For Yule we have a three day celebration with gifts each day...and all homemade or hand made and purchased. We also celebrate the art of giving...we find a salvation army giving tree and we each take a tag of a person close to our age...the kids have to pick a child close to their age AND the opposite sex just to make them consider a little harder in their giving...and we fill their requests and then some and send them off to the Salvation Army. We also feast and stay up as late as we can on Longest Night. Yule morning, when the sun is born, we eat a yummy breakfast that is all themed around the sun and we put out treats we have made for the critters who live outside...
We also put the sun god into the creche. I have a traditional creche that is absent of the christ child (who in our world veiw is symbolic of the sun god who is born at Yule-tide) until Yule morning...he is visited by everyone...santa, the kings, buddha, kwan yin..even a few dog and cat statues we have come visit the Sun at his birth.

For Christmas we do the family stuff we are socially required to do and we celebrate the Santa Tradition. We have a special key that Santa uses to get in. It's magickally charmed so only he can use it ;-D...having grown up Catholic, I also get the kids chocolate advent calendars as a means of counting down Santa's arrival. Christmas Day after Santa's gifts are opened, we go for lunch at a Chinese buffet and catch a movie :-)

What are your traditions this time of year??

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  09:24:17 AM  Show Profile
I love your traditions. Our celebrations are centered around friends and family. Christmas day is family (blood relatives and chosen family members). We have homemade pizzas for Christmas Eve, homebaked pastries for Christmas morning, and a gift for each person in attendance, mostly handmades.

The day after Christmas is for everybody else. We exchange gifts, share food and work puzzles all day. We spend the day in our slippers (old traition) and encourage others to bring their best food to share.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  07:32:18 AM  Show Profile
As a pagan I too, have all of my family & hubbys who are not so we do the christmas thing of gifts but i do them in different non-christmas paper, I also send cards that as holiday themed instead of Christmas...no santas ect..
The main thing I love about Yule is giving back to nature so I make up treats that I can take outside for the birds & squarrels...I use all natural ingreds for this....My hubby & I give gifts to each other on Yule then do the Christmas thing for the rest of the family.
I do have a tree but its red & set on the front porch decorated in red/white/blue to honor the military....no decorations in the house....I also do a different recipe each year for Yule, never know what it will be but one year did bread pudding & shephards pie........another year it was a goose...this year I got a wonderful deer roast from a friend so we will have that with maybe homemade apple crisp.....
I also do a huge batch of cornbread that I give to my chickens & canned salmon for the cats....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  6:49:25 PM  Show Profile
We are a Christian home and I was getting discouraged that the birth of Christ was getting second billing to "gifts". I didnt want the kids to just tear open a gift and grab the next one and move on until they were all open. Ya know? So we started a new tradition. The week of Christmas we open one gift each night and Christmas morning we open the rest. On Christmas eve we gather as a family and read Lukes gospel of the birth of Christ. However you are celebrating I hope you and your families have a wonderful holiday.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic God Jul, Yule, Christmas...traditions.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page