Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  03:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Took the dog out around 5 this a.m. and saw her take off toward to edge of the woods and stop short.

She started barking like I have never heard.

A few mainutes later she came back when called, peed and followed me back to the chicken coops. All the while, I noticed it was unusually quiet from the chicken conticengy, and no body was making any moves to get off their perches to eat like they usually do.

As we we were going back to the house, the sound hit us, and I went back to see if my husbad and his rifle were up and stirring.

COYOTIES! And mighty close to the house. CLoser than I have ever heard before, that's for sure!!! No wonder the dog was all upset and the chickens wern't stirring!

Thank goodness hubs was up and about, came out of the house, and went to the edge of the woods. Fired a warning shot that scared me and the dog....mostly becasue it wass till dark

So even though all chichens are behind chicken wire, it's pretty flimsy, and both coops wil have their doors closed in the evenings now until the situation is resolved.

WOW!

And all this before 6 a.m.!

p.s. glad both cats are accounted for. One was feeding his face while all this was going on, the other was still sleeping

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  07:27:15 AM  Show Profile
wow anna, we too can hear them from our house its too populated here for them to come this close. your dog made the right choice about chasing or not. you take care and next time watch those girls. they are very wise to coyotes etc. mine get super quiet and then if something attacks they scream and holler. i come a running. in spring its rock chucks looking for goodies. never a coyote. so glad all are safe and its a good tale to share happy days shrrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  09:35:46 AM  Show Profile
This was the closest we have ever heard a pack.

We have seen just one lone individual moving out with a purpose before during the day about 2 years ago, and we hear the pack howling a good distance sometimes, say about a quarter mile sometimes down the road in the filed behind another house. Was especially more prominent when we had that wild hog problem 2 Springs ago in that same location.

When we go walking in the abandoned fields, we see the coyote scat everywhere too, but this is a good 2 miles from the house.

I wonder if all the increase in hunting has them on the move. I do know a buddy of ours missed a deer last week and lost the blood trail.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic we have 'em too! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page