Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 something for my cat- has a UTI???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic something for my cat- has a UTI??? Next Topic  

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  12:41:39 PM  Show Profile
can someone suggest soemthing for my indoor cat? i really cannot do the vet right now.....

need something to do FOR her as well as how to clean the piddle spots on the offwhite carpet where we are renting...no-not MY choice of carpet!

thx in advance.....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile
oxy-clean will take care of the urine stains & smell....if you can get ahold of some dried cranberries...put them thur a blender/food processor or chop them really fine...mix mix with canned cat food....a tablespoon of cranberries to 1 can daily for 5 days should stop the UTI...give lots & lots of water or have available.....Also there is a dry ct food that is for UT well
being...I have had to use it for 7 yrs with one of my cats cause he gets the infection if I don't give it to him daily....if can't do the cranberries get a small bag of that & remove all the other food so thats all it can eat....good luck dear hen.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  05:39:35 AM  Show Profile
michele-thx-i wondered about cranberries!
she eats indoor living type dry food and is great about drinking water.. i'll have to look at the food bag....
oxy clean-will have to get some-thx!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile
how is your kitty doing? Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  2:01:02 PM  Show Profile
actually this morning was her first meal laced with cranberries! she ate every bit!
i wondered if i could give her cranberry jelly? maybe too much sugar!

so i'm going to watch her- and i DID buy her some dry for urinary tract for after this "treatment"
thx for asking!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  2:14:55 PM  Show Profile
I've had two cats prone to the UTI. Both were ferals, and I ended up getting a dry food the first one (father of the second one) was NUTS about. It's a little pricey, but wholesome... made by Blue Buffalo and has cranberry mixed into the food. It's the Wilderness Blend with a Bobcat on thr front. Hercules (the son) is a bit more picky than Sparky was, and my mother found a paste at the grocery store where she works (they have a VERY nice pet department) with cranberry concentrate in it. He wasn't crazy about it, but it was easy enough to make him take it and it seemed to work very well.

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  8:35:17 PM  Show Profile
just went through a several year battle with a cat that had recurring UTI's. He eventually died of kidney failure, but I'm not saying your's will or anything, but I got very educated over the years. Cats seem to get UTI's for two reasons: crystal formation which leads to irritation, swelling, etc. that usually leads to blood in urine--or an actual infection that may need antibiotc--usually amoxi drops.
one thing that will always help is plenty of water. I have one of those fountains that runs to encourage drinking because cats concetrate their urine so much which i guess makes them more prone to UTI's. The unrinary tract formula or kidney diets should be lower in protein, because the kidneys filter the proteins. of course the less prteins, the less platable the food though. Canned is another option, as it also adds liquid. the cranberry may help, but use only as a treat. You could add a tiny amount of salt to the food to encourage drinking, but don't do it all the time, just maybe to get through this.
i have found that nature's miracle works well for urine stain and smell. you have to soak the area though, but it does work.
make sure she may really have a uti...usuallty the clues or frequent urination, blood in urine, not using the litter pan. but going out of the box, could be behavioral not physical.
i don't know how well you know your vet, but i always tried to catch a sample and just take the sample in and have them do a urinalysis. that was cheaper than a visit and it helped confirm or deny a UTI. if there were crystals or WBC's they would send the right stuff home and the cat never even had to go to the vet.
keep us posted.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - rschaaf on Nov 18 2011 8:39:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  8:52:30 PM  Show Profile
renee...thank you!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  11:19:42 PM  Show Profile
what ever food you choose, make sure it is very low in ash content...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  05:49:12 AM  Show Profile
There is also a condition in cats called idiopathic cystitis which means bladder inflammation but not necessarily infection. Cats that do this can act just like a UTI. It wil frequently visit the box or urinate around the house and definitely can have a fair share of blood in that urine on your carpet. For some reason these cats bladders really improve with glucosamine supplementation. It is textbook for joints but in fact it really deceases the inflammation in cats bladders. (yes I am a veterinarian, small animal). My sister's cat kept getting treated for bladder infections by her vet. I think 10 times in a year. She just couldn't afford the charges her vet was giving her so we tried the cranberries which helped but ultimately the kept treating for suspect bladder infections because their tests couldn't find the bacteria. The glucosamine really helped. Since my test case where since it was my sister I actually got feedback I have put quite a few cats on it and some it helps some it doesn't. But isn't that hard to try. Good luck.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  06:47:24 AM  Show Profile
emily..that is very interesting!
Lovey drinks plenty of water and occasionally poos outside of the box- when i haven't cleaned sufficiently...kindof to tell me!!!!!..but the urinating started in a strange corner of the carpeted laundry room after we moved so at first i thouht behavior.....and it is very potent (ammonia!)tho there has not been blood in the urine....she enjoyed the cranberries and loved the wet food but i have her back on dry...
we rent and i would love to just pull the carpet up but have yet to ask my landlady..it's old and ugly and white for pete's sake.... but it's not mine!

how would i give her the glucosamine and in what kindof a dosage? i would be afraid to give too much!!!!!!!!!!!or is that like B12 where it just pees out -in humans?

other then this issue she is a most wonderful girl- not quite sure how old she is- she had been at a kill shelter, rescued and then a transport team took her to a no kill where i adopted her and picked her up after they spayed...her teeth are sharp and ouchy and her curiosity is big so i figure she is about two years old but whadda i know!!!!!

she had three names before i settled on Lovey (like Mrs Thurston Howell of Gilligan's island!)

thank you for chiming in!!!!i feel like an unfit mother since i really cannot do the vet charges riht now....

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic something for my cat- has a UTI??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page