Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Jo-Ann Fabrics Honors Thanksgiving Holiday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Jo-Ann Fabrics Honors Thanksgiving Holiday Next Topic  

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  11:55:01 AM  Show Profile
I sent the following email to Customer Service at Jo-Ann Fabrics to thank them for staying closed on Thanksgiving Day. I had received an email promotion with coupons and it noted that because they "respect our Team Members family time" they would be closed on Thanksgiving Day. My email read:

I am a regular customer at my local Jo-Ann's in Middletown, NY and I THANK YOU for putting family and Thanksgiving before consumerism. Because you have decided to stay closed on Thanksgiving I will make Jo-Ann's my first stop for anything fabric or craft and I will tell my sewing students and friends to do so as well. When so many retailers are infringing on Thanksgiving by opening that day or evening, Jo-Ann's has resisted making Thanksgiving yet another American "commercial holiday".

Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  12:02:06 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn that is absolutely right. Any time the big stores think they'll make extra $$$$$ you betcha they will be open, not taking in consideration of their employees. It's good to hear they will be closed. Thanks for sending your letter. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  12:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Ok I knew it was you Dianne, but had JoAnns on the brain and can't take on but one thought. hahaha Sorry!!! Hugs

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  3:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Hooray for Jo-Anns. Hobby Lobby is another wonderful chain that will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. And they're always closed on Sundays. I love their signs that explain why... so they're employees can spend family time and worship together.

And while we're on it... hats off to Chic-Fil-A!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  3:29:07 PM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you. I thought I read somewhere that JC Penney was going to be closed on Thanksgiving too - but I think they'll be open. This definitely makes me want to shop at these stores. Love that Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays too.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you all. I wish stores wentback to being closed on sundays and I resect hobby lobby for doing so..

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  05:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the comments. Spread the word about stores that honor family time, holidays and Sundays. I'm not sure our local Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays, but this is NY after all! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  06:44:48 AM  Show Profile
It always boggled our minds how stores kept opening earlier and earlier and then made the jump to opening on Thanksgiving. It must make them some money or they wouldn't keep doing it although I don't know anyone who goes out shopping on Thanksgiving Day.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  4:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I can tell you from experience that Joann's is always closed on Thanksgiving Day, but as far as them "respecting" family time or family in general I can tell you they DO NOT. It is all about their bottom line. If you have a family emergency and have to leave you have to wait and see if someone can come and take your place. If you can't come in for family reasons you have to find someone to take your place and if you can't then you have to come in anyway, I've seen this happen more times than I can tell you. I worked there two different times, the first time was fine, the managers were fantastic and they did care about you. The last time started off wonderfully, the manager was very nice, but then the company got bought out and things have changed drastically. It is no longer what it was. They fired our manager, brought in a new one and then all he@@ broke loose. This happened at the same time as the buy out did. They are a good fabric and craft store but don't fall for the family routine.

I wish all stores would leave holidays to family and stop opening earlier every year. I know several friends that have to be to work Thanksgiving night anywhere between 7pm - 11pm. They are all sleeping Thanksgiving day and not having dinner till they come home on Friday. It's awful.

www.MurrayDesigns.etsy.com

Farmgirl Sister #710

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  03:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, I had no idea. I know our Jo-Ann's employees (I do not work there nor have I ever) seem happy and commented to me about it being like a family. So sorry to hear that but thanks for the comment. As long as people continue to put the almighty dollar above all else, retailers will take over our nation's holidays for their financial gain. Do these shoppers really think they're saving money? The joke is on them. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  09:37:54 AM  Show Profile
I am horrified this year by all the stores open on Thanksgiving and all night. Now it is Saturday and all I see on the news is all the violence and craziness that erupted everywhere. What is wrong with people? Have they all gone mad? Now I hear buzz that stores will open Christmas Day so everyone can start the 'after Christmas' sales. It's sick! If it keeps up, there will be no more holidays left. Sad.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  11:21:27 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I find it horrifying what violence people will do to another living being to get to a sale item. They've all run mad! That is NOT the meaning of Christmas. Those poor people who work for that kind of store, made to leave their families and homes on a holiday to work through this madness. It's all just materialism taken to a gross insane level.

People need to get back to the spirit of the holidays and spend them with family, friends and community. Find things to do together, listen to school Christmas choirs, go to a ballet, play, or musical performance, throw parties, have a cookie exchange....Where is Christmas in all of this shopping madness? I'm disgusted and sad.

I'm starting a thread of things to do with family and friends besides throwing gobs of money away on cheap junk =P Lets bring Christmas back to the home!

Hugz

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  06:40:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Nicole and Annika. It is horrible how people treat one another in the name of "saving" money. My neighbor went out with a friend Thanksgiving night to shop (didn't buy) and said the lines were hours long and many people had young children with them! What is wrong with our society? That's a rhetorical question, of course. Corporate America, advertising and marketing firms and the media have brainwashed people. Did you see that American Express was promoting Small Business Saturday on Thanksgiving weekend? I realize it's another way to make money, but at least it's supporting the mom and pop stores. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Jo-Ann Fabrics Honors Thanksgiving Holiday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page