Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Shelling Pecans Next Topic  

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  07:18:42 AM  Show Profile
We are blessed with pecan trees in Portales, New Mexico. Shelling them and making pecan pies is a wonderful part of my heritage. I shared a few happy thoughts on my blog. Hope you'll pop on over, then share some memories too!

http://field-days.com/shelling-pecans

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Enjoyed your blog about shelling pecans. We recently returned from a trip through the SE USA. Marveled at the crops I had taken for granted...pecans, cotton, peaches, peanuts, to name a few. Stopped at a country store in Georgia to buy pecans. (3 lbs to share w/ Thanksgiving guests). We were dismayed upon our return to discover our pecans were missing. Poor DH figured he lost them in a motel parking lot while juggling luggage. He felt so bad. Yesterday he came home from store with a bag of pecans. Meanwhile, we hauled a working shredder home from Florida for grand daughter. She took it back to college with her yesterday. And, called us last night to say she opened the shredder and found a 3 lb. bag of pecans. lol I do remember my mom sitting in her chair watching tv on winter nights shelling black walnuts. You brought back memories of hom.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile
Judith, that's great! So glad the missing pecans showed up!!

Our town is called the Peanut Basin of the Nation. We grow Valencia peanuts here. You brought back a fun memory for me. When I was a little girl, we stopped at the side of the road to buy peaches on a road trip through Georgia. Hanging in the stand were Borden Peanuts... my granddad's peanut mill right here in Portales, New Mexico. We have always loved that story... that they were selling our New Mexico peanuts in a roadside stand in Georgia!

I love living in this farming community! And I love my pecan trees! =)

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  07:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I learned something new today! I had no idea New Mexico grew pecans and peanuts. Your peanut story is a good one. Pretty amazing, huh? I grew peanuts in my first garden here in Iowa. I think I got a handful.lol

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Yep... New Mexico is a "misunderstood" state. =)

We have wonderful pecan groves here. And right now, the smell of roasting peanuts from our mills in Portales is just grand!!!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Shelling Pecans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page