Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Chickn Coop Pictures Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickn Coop Pictures Please Next Topic  

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  5:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, My dream is coming true. Just going through the purchase of my hobby farm in Idaho. No chicken coop on the property, just a house with a shed... and lots of room. I can't wait to have my husband build my chicken coop and spoil my girls so they lay beautiful eggs for us. If you have a chicken coop that is not manufactured through a company but a homemade chicken coop and you have the ability to post the pictures on here for me to look at ... I would love it. I need to get a idea of exactly the kind and size of chicken coop i want. We will only have about 6 chickens.

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile
We made our's out of wood pallets. It's 8x8x4 and each pen is 10 x 10.

When I can find the finished product pic or have sun to take a pic, I will for you. the mistakes we learned: 1. Make sure the doors you go in and out are on the same side. 2. Put the roost around the inside coop rather than a "ladder" roost. When they sit on the ladder they peck each others tail feathers off. 3. We put electricity in which allowed for a ceramic heater in case it gets below 0. Other wize running it is expensive.

The reason for two pens. One year they live on oneside and fertilize the ground, the following year the other pen. The pen they are not in I thenk grow my corn and other veggis from the side. It isn't a tractor coop.

Good luck,

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  9:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Wow what a great way to recycle Pallets. I love it. Thanks for sharing. I love the idea of having two sides so you can "rotate" the pins.

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Ours is built into an old dog run on the side of our barn. The previous owner kept a hound there so we just took down the chain link, put up the chicken wire and extended the pen. I would suggest burying your chicken wire maybe six inches. Ours is buried about six inches at the bottom then we actually poured concrete into the trench we dug so that the foxes, raccoons and possible neighbor dogs exploring might get bored when trying to get in. Our chickens are free range during the day but penned at night or when we aren't home for a few days. In the winter there are often times footprints of critters casing to joint all the way around but the chickens have been safe.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile
hi mary, i would say my favorite thing about our coops is egg collecting boxes. we put there nest boxes to where i can collect eggs without going in. if i forget and am cleaned up to go some where i can get the eggs without going in. i have no camera so thought i would share this. happy days to you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickn Coop Pictures Please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page