herbalady
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lynn
Northford Connecticut
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  2:02:05 PM  Show Profile
My daughter Kate (23 yrs. old) is looking to participate in an equestrian apprenticeship where she can get a stipend along with room & board.
We live in Ct., but she would love to find one in other states like Virginia, W. Virginia, Tennessee, the Carolina's etc.

If not an apprenticeship, then a live in stable job where she can learn how to manage a horse stable.
Horses have been her passion all of her life..She owns a horse and would love to be able to take him with her.
I told her I would post it here for her (what better place than farmgirl connection!)

Can anyone help her with this search?

Lynn

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your barefeet and the winds long to play with your hair"....Kahlil Gibran

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  4:01:02 PM  Show Profile
I think Murray State University in Kentucky has a degree program in horsemanship, and you can take your horse there. I know they used to have one, guess they still do.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herbalady
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lynn
Northford Connecticut
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  06:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Cindy, I think she is looking more for a stable v.s. college

Lynn

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your barefeet and the winds long to play with your hair"....Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  11:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynne, I'm not much help in that I can't give you a direct link, but Kentucky MIGHT be your best bet, along with FL, two BIG horse owning states! I know OCALA FL has one of the largest, extensive, and most expensive stables in the country, I don't know why you google search some stables there and maybe ask around to see if any of them is willing to take your daughter on? Just a thought! Good luck in your journey!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page

herbalady
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lynn
Northford Connecticut
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  6:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Zan I will check Kentucky & Fla.

Lynn

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  7:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Try "Norco Calif", they are known as the most horse friendly city in the US, the Extreme Mustang Makeover Champion is from there...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  06:08:22 AM  Show Profile
I'd look under internships with Local Harvest (localharvest.org) and perhaps World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (wwoof.org). I realize that both are more farm oriented, but you just never know what you might find. We had an agricultural student from France contact us due to finding us on Local Harvest. She needed to do a 8 - 10 week internship for school in an English speaking country. In exchange for room and board, she assisted in our garden, at the market and with weddings. It was a great experience for all of us.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
(site, blog & etsy shop)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  06:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Call the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky. They have apprenticeships, even have a farrier school. http://kyhorsepark.com/

I would start there and see if she can get on there, or at a local farm (of the 1,000's, literally, all around the horse park in Paris, Versailles, Lexington, Harrodsburg, Frankfort,Georgetown, Winchester, Athens).

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

herbalady
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lynn
Northford Connecticut
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  6:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas, thanks I will have her check them all out!!!

Lynn

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic equestrian apprenticeship Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page