texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:50:01 PM  Show Profile
After years of being the "crazy pet" lady BC (before child) I am down to one dog, and two cats, and now a fish. My daughter wants to make use of an unused betta tank (2.5 gallon) that can no longer house fish. The man at the pet store says it is fine for hermit crabs. My daughter got the idea from one of her friends who has them. I don't want my house smelling like animals (I love them...want them to be seen but not smelled). Is it true they are stinky? Does anyone else have them? I have no experience here.

Any help appreciated!

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile
My daughter had hermit crabs for years. I don't think I ever "smelled" them and they were fun/entertaining to watch. Good luck!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  11:36:35 AM  Show Profile
The food can be a bit stinky (since it has fish meal in it), but if you're only talking about one or 2 pellets, I don't see smell being an issue. Obviously, if you scoop any poo, it should stay smelling just fine. I had some for several years, too and don't remember smell being a problem. Just make sure you buy at least a pair. They do like company :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nicole you sparked a long forgotten funny memory! My neice (who is now 40!) had hermit crabs when she was about 10. When she first got them we went to visit my Mother one afternoon and my sister and neice were there also. Upon hearing DH and I arrive my neice comes racing down the hall saying "Aunt Audrey, Uncle Bill! I've got crabs!"

Needless to say there was a flurry of explanations from her parents then an hour or so of laughter!

But to answer your question, I don't ever recall my sisters house ever smelling of HERMIT crabs. But then I don't recall that she had them that long either.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

Edited by - acairnsmom on Nov 16 2011 2:25:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Apache Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Erika
La Puente California
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile
I had a hermit crab when I was young too. Wow, that sparked a memory!
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  08:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, I'm lucky I have learned how NOT to laugh out loud... m coworkers would think I am crazy, sitting in my office, laughing hysterically to myself!

Funny thing, I am glad someone posted questions about this! The Old Man came home a couple of months ago with a nice tank someone had given him. GIVEN! But, I'm not so sure that FISH would be a good choice to put in there, given my cat Pepper Jean would be a bit nosy and does not care if she gets wet (I caught her standing on the potty this morning, about to go head first into it...). Hermit crabs may be something to think about when we have our own place!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  08:38:56 AM  Show Profile

Yes, we still chuckle about it!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  1:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nicole,
I've had hermit crabs, off and on, since I was 16. I'm now in my 40's and now my 14 yr old son has a 20 gal aquarium of several hermit crabs. I've never had any odor from them, just make sure you change out their food weekly. There are several good hermit crab care books out there. Try e-Bay, Amazon, or your local pet store (Pet Supply Plus has a good book on hermit crab care). The only thing one must adapt to is that they can be quite noisy at night banging & climbing around.
The crabs do need a good water supply and to be kept moist. We layered an inch of pea gravel on the bottom of their aquarium. We keep water poured just beneath the top gravels.
Hope this helps.
Andrea
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  2:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls! Thank you! Audrey - LOL at that story!! Thank you for all the info everyone. This helps a lot. DD had a great report card. Maybe next week we can look into it. Keep ya posted. Thanks for all the helpful info.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile
My friend (who was also my pastor's wife) went out to Pietros Pizza one night for dinner and found a hermit crab on the floor next to their booth!!! With a brightly painted shell and everything! LOL. While they were there a mother came in and started asking if anyone had found a crab, Turns out her 7 year old son decided to take "mister crabs" out for pizza too without telling anyone, and then lost him. My friend took the crab over and tried to give it back, but by then the mother was effusively insisting they keep it! LOL

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  06:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

Well, DD finally got her hermit crabs this weekend! They are very cute, and I am so glad we got them too. The bigger one is "Shelton" and the little one is "Shelly". Shelton is a spunky little guy and Shelly is more shy. No smell, my biggest worry, so that is a good thing. It was fun setting up their 'crabitat'. The first night we got worried, as they were 'chirping'. Turns out, that's a good thing and means they are happy! My dd is over the moon. So, now we are the crazy pet family again: one dog, two cats, one fish, two hermit crabs (which will be four this weekend, as one of the places we called doesn't carry hermit crabs but the woman who works there is looking to have her two adopted as her dd no longer wants them since she is in highschool). Can't wait to add chickens to the mix soon...

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  06:37:51 AM  Show Profile
This is the weirdest coincidence, because my husband sent me a link yesterday. He loves to keep up on all of the super-techy news, and is interested in what is called 3D printing...where you can actually build objects with different kinds of media using a printer.

So, someone out there created some awesome, colorful little shells on their 3D printer for their hermit crabs. This link shows a video of the hermit crab, Paris Shelton, adopting her new colorful shell.

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/02/09/3d-printed-shells-for-hermit-crabs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+makezineonline+%28MAKE%29

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  07:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Paula,
Thank you so much for that link! Can't wait to show it to DD when she gets home from school! Watching 'Paris Shellton' squeeze into that shell reminded me of a human squeezing into tight, just washed and dried jeans, ha ha! Very cute video.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  10:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Fun, fun stories! Thank you ladies for bringing a smile and a chuckle to my heart tonite!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  6:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Well we now have four hermit crabs: Shelton, Shelly, Mia, and Shell-ina Gomez. Shell-ina already changed from the pet store painted shell she had to a farmgirl natural shell. I can't believe how much time I spend looking at these critters! We are having a blast with them! They are all so cute and each has its own personality, believe it or not. Thought I'd post a picture of our little crab-clan.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  05:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank for sharing your new hermit crab family photos. It looks like they are posing..better looking gams than Angelina Jolie!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  05:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Paula,

LOL!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  07:01:19 AM  Show Profile
How great! I have loved hearing all of these stories!
We have been thinking of a terrarium. A couple Hermit crabs would be a great addition!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hermit Crabs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page