Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How to purchase a side of beef???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to purchase a side of beef??? Next Topic  

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  05:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to fill my freezer with some beef. However, I am clueless as to go about it. What cuts to ask for? Do I pay per pound of beef or on the hoof? (I'm assuming that means the weight of the cow before butchering.)

Where do I begin to locate a farmer for this? I'm in Chicago.

Love some help - hope someone can educate me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  06:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Not sure where you are from any of these but here are some places
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=where+to+buy+grass+fed+beef&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL
Just call around and ask what they offer and how much it costs. We paid on dressed weight not live weight

Also just ask for what you want. When we had our beef butchered we had the choice of the following(I starred the ones we got)

Roasts *
Ribs *
Brisket *
t-bones *
Cube steaks *
Seven Steaks *
stew meat
hamburger *
fajita meat

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  06:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Don't be afraid to ask questions of the farmer. Some farmers do it differently. Also sometimes you can ask for more of one thing and less of the other- I think it just depends on if they feel they can sell what you don't need/want.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  07:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Deb,

Finally after 4 years of ordering a side of beef I know what cuts I want :)
A couple of things to consider when specifying cuts:

~What recipes do I use the most?
~Am I looking to make meals stretch by getting mostly ground or roasts or do I want steak, ribs, etc.?

Here's what we paid a couple of months ago for 372 pounds of beef:

$744.00 for half a cow (Black Angus Grass Fed)
$186.00 processing fee
$30.00 kill fee

It is a big investment up front but so worth it!

I keep a running inventory of what meat we get each year and that gives me an idea of how long it will last us and what I use the most. There are only 2 of us, BUT we do share with friends and people from church, whoever needs help. The half lasts us a little over a year and that is with having beef at least once a week.

Generally our butcher will ask:

~How much ground beef ?
~Do we want any Italian Sausage?
~How much do we want roasts to weigh?
~Do we want the roast rolled and tied?
~Do we want the ribs or rib roast or steaks?
~Do we want any of the round steak tenderized (for cube steaks)?

We have lesser cuts of meat made into ground. This year we paid a little extra per pound to have some Brats too.

We also asked for the tallow. Since my husband is now making soap, we get the tallow (for free) and render it ourselves. My husband makes soap using it and I have actually tried using some for baking. I know it sounds nasty but it was no different than using lard or shortening (and you can't beat free). I used it for Gingersnaps and you would have never guessed. I also plan on making suet cakes for the birds this winter.

I hope this helps!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Nov 14 2011 07:29:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  07:45:51 AM  Show Profile
yes it can be confusing when ordering beef. remember first you are paying for meat still on the bone. the animal is killed and gutted and skinned. it is not trimmed up. you will have less meat than what it weighed when you bought it. first you loose almost half when skinned etc. then it is hung and aged. we like a 21 day hang.you will actually have weight loss just from the aging process. then when they make steaks and burger you have more weight gone in bone trim. the advantage to buying a half is you get some of all the cuts. if you buy a quarter ask is this a front quarter or a back? we make summer sausage jerky pepperoni sticks also. for selling we do a lot of burger and roasts. 3 pound roasts work well. my favorite is cube steak. so many uses. we also get all the stew meat type trim we can. oh and like sharon we love brats. hope this helps you some have you looked on craigs list around farming in your area? i sell my extra on there. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  07:47:51 AM  Show Profile
i meant to say you pay for your beef to the farmer usually on the hanging weight. it is not live weight. then you pay the butcher by the pound to cut grind or cure.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  3:58:06 PM  Show Profile
I looked up a local meat market and they had their packages listed online and what cuts were included and how many pounds it was.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Here is a site that might help:

www.heffronfarms.com. They are located in Belding, MI. Denny Heffron raises all of the beef and sells individual products, but also in bundles - from his farm, his 3 market stores and online. On the website under bundles, you'll find a list of options. If nothing else, it is a great learning tool. If you call Denny, he can walk you through the process of ordering too.

I'd been a shopper there for years, and now, due to Forrester Farm's seasonal cycle and having just paid a son's college tuition bill, I'm working for Denny 2 days/week. Great quality products. No growth hormones. Just real food :)!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
(site, blog & etsy shop)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to purchase a side of beef??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page