Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  2:28:59 PM  Show Profile
woa gal friends that was some smow storm we had here in Massachusetts.....only 6 inches for me----but power outages big time.........my home got down to 49 degrees...I really had a reminder how great it is to have heat in the winter---makes me really wonder how the pioneers managed.

Next week our city is collecting food for the homeless.....needless to say I intend to donate a lot of soups....sacrificing for a very good cause.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  4:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that you're fine. I've been thinkig about all our maritime farm girls.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  5:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, Great to hear you are doing okay, considering. I saw some of what they were calling snow cement on television and it looked pretty wicked. Hope you see a thaw soon!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  5:47:42 PM  Show Profile
I got lucky only about 5 inches of snow,but I did lose my red maple tree. And I sure was cold at night......I am so very appreciative of the heat.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Glad you are all OK. I think you got the remnants or should I say the beginnings of the storm we got warned about. They told me I was going to get between 10-20" of snow and the last time it snowed we were without power for 3 days. So DH and I put it in gear prepared and hunkered down. Brought a generator from DH shop, extra water, blankets, dishes and laundry done up. Made extra meals, then we waited. They kept saying it would snow the hardest overnight. So we went to bed, warm & dry with our electricy and heat on and then woke up with the electricity & heat still on! Got up looked out expecting 20" of snow and uh? how about 5"! What a let down.

I guess our storm was just practicing over my house on the prairie! And did it's real work over you Beverly!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  04:10:57 AM  Show Profile
We got about 13" here in Northeast PA but were lucky and only lost our power for about 6 hours. We have a generator to run the furnace, so we were warm and cozy. I have a solar/wind up radio, so I could listen to music anyway!

Glad everyone seems to have survived the storm without too much trouble.

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  06:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Was praying for all!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

from my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  06:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Glad you okay Beverly. We have some huge oak tree branches ripped or torn apart in our front and backyard. Lucky our maple trees was protecting it from hitting our power line here at NJ. We have few inches of snow. Thank goodness no blackout for us. This snowstorm was worst than the hurricane we had recently.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile
thanks for your prayers and thoughts. ......in a city near me they are not expecting power until Thursday...yikes.
I did lose 1 tree----a red maple----I feel a ltle bad about that but it could have been so so much worse.

have a good day all ....

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:41:23 AM  Show Profile
so glad to see you all did fairly well through the storm. sending warm hugs sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  1:29:12 PM  Show Profile
Where I am we got over 2 foot with drifts waist high...trees & lines down & today around 2 got the electric back on but I was good, had oil lamps, wood stove,,,extra bedding for the chickens so we did just fine here at the Old Batz Farm!!...missed the real coffee though but had instant so was good to go....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that everyone is doing pretty well. I was worried for those farmgals who are out east!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  1:53:54 PM  Show Profile
We had 16 inches here, and then things went from bad to worse. Check out this week's blog for what all happened. It was the worst! I was really, very scared for my family. Glad you are all okay. Anyone else out there fear that this is a sign of what we are in for with winter? I can tell you one thing, I have lost all desire to join the Amish! :)

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  1:59:00 PM  Show Profile
So glad you all made it through that! It was hard to just see the pictures, I can't imagine actually living through that :(

My power was just out for a couple hours (pretty standard here in winter time, just because). Makes me glad we got the wood stove and ditched the pellet stove, that's for sure! Electricity-dependent heat is not something I'm interested in anymore.

I hope this was just a fluke thing and that this winter is not so terrible in its entirety!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  8:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Hubby just bought a HUGE industrial style snow blower TODAY! Unfortunately I think we may be in for a rough one here in the Northeast this winter.
Next step is getting the woodstove downstairs checked out and working. It is a lovely stove with brick surround, but we have never used it since we bought the house so I want to have someone come and check the chimmney etc for safety to be sure.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I survived the nor'easter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page