Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Exciting Updates on My NEW LAND!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Exciting Updates on My NEW LAND!! Next Topic  

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  9:48:48 PM  Show Profile
We closed on our 46.7 acres today and in the process got to talk to the actual land owners instead of just with the realtor. As a result, I asked a TON of questions and we learned a lot about not only our property but about the area as well.

The former owners also took us to meet all our new neighbors, introduced us and helped us get "connected." These new neighbors not only told us where all the wild "happening" events in our new town (population: 40) will be but also where everyone hangs out.

We also met the gazillion odd "tenants" on our land - the stock tank which I was planning to fill with fish is ALREADY stocked with 15-18 inch channel catfish!!! They are HUGE!

And they gave us their leftover catfish food to feed them. It was an awesome experience and very relaxing. They are quite tame and now I can't wait to feed my "pets" every evening. How cool is that? (I have pics of the catfish that I will post on my homesteading journal tomorrow...)

I did learn some disturbing news though - while we knew that there was wildlife out there, we hadn't seen any trace of it, but the owners have confirmed that not only are there a ton of coyotes, predator birds and other swarmy varmits, but also that there is a mean old BOBCAT that definitely lives on our property too...

Hmmm...that brings up a ton of new problems for my livestock plans...

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Erin!! So excited for you!! It is just great that everyone is so friendly and I'm sure they will be helpful too. Here in Australia, the worst predator we would have to worry about is the fox, although in some areas there are packs of wild dogs. I guess you'll have to see what the neighbours do about their livestock, if they keep any.
I'm so glad it is happening for you - keep us posted!! Have you already moved to your land yet?
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:21:50 PM  Show Profile
No we won't move until we have a well dug and the septic in, and temporary housing built. Maybe in six weeks or so. Alot will depend on how fast our houses sell here - we need that money to do the majority of the stuff we need to get started.

The neighbors all have cattle and larger animals. I'd like to have chickens, ducks and geese to start, then add some goats and sheep. We will probably end up getting a pair of donkeys (from a friend who rescues burros) first to keep the ag exemption in place, and then put other things in later on.

My Homesteading Journal

My craft journal

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 15 2006 10:23:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Erin! That is wonderful!! And a Bobcat..sorry but I love animals... I think that is really cool...just need to make sure he/she knows to stay away from your animals...maybe a few large dogs? I have read in many places that is the very best deterant for bears and wild cats/dogs. I hope you find something that works well!
Anyway I am so thrilled for you...congratulations!! Your dream is comming true!!!
Big Hugz!!
Talitha

PS are they miniture donkeys or regular...I want some donkeys! But think I am leaning toward minis... Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 15 2006 10:35:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  05:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! What wonderful news!! Your property sounds just beautiful and FULL of really cool things. A bobcat?! A little disconcerting to think that he/she will be running around. Yikes! You'll have to hire an armed guard for your chickens! Keep us posted!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  07:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on all the developments. Keep us posted on the bobcat situation -- I've always been told that a couple of big dogs work well. Good luck!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  3:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Congrats!!! It sound so exciting. On the "wildlife" subject, I've always heard that donkeys make great watch dogs for sheep. We have friends in Northern Pa. that run about 300 ewes and they keep a couple donkeys with them for predator protecion. It's not fool proof. I know they have had coyote problems, but I think it works fairly well as they continue to do it. With the smaller animals just make sure you build a sturdy coop or barn and lock them in at night. We live in NJ and have 23 sheep and numerous chickens. We have a coyote and a bear problem but have had no losses since making sure everything is locked in at night(knock on wood). Good luck and just have a great time living out your dream. Keep us posted!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  5:12:40 PM  Show Profile
Erin, it sounds beautiful. Just think! You have more acres than the population of your town. Congratulations. Maybe your neighbors will have insight about dealing with the bobcat...?

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  5:27:17 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Erin Congrats on your new place--sounds wonderful. Perhaps one day I will have an opportunity to visit since I just live about 90 minutes away. I have another friend who has a country place in Satin, Tx which is near Waco. Would love to make a day of it and visit both of you (when you get really settled in)

I also deal with predators constantly. I have 12 large dogs, and they are not a deterrent (sp?) against coyotes. As my vet says, "a coyote will get up in bed with you!" In other words, they are fearless!
I have heard that donkeys and llamas are very effective though.

My want to check on your ag exemption. In Parker County where I live, 2 donkeys would not qualify for an ag exemption. This is why I mow hay on 3 acres so that I can keep my exemption. I could have livestock, but I am a vegetarian so I could not ethically raise animals for food. The ag exemption will save you a bundle. I lease out my hayfields to my neighbor, and he takes care of everything from there thus eliminating the need to purchase tractors and other $$$ farm equipment.

Congrats again on achieving your dream. I wish you great happiness.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  9:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new farm, Erin! It just sounds wonderful - full of excitement with all of the creatures that live there already. I'm guessing that the 6-weeks or so until you move in will just fly by with all of the planning and preparation you'll be doing. Keep us posted! It sounds like so much fun and a huge adventure!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  06:20:12 AM  Show Profile
Erin, thats great. Very happy for you. Be careful w/ the wild animals, they are great to watch but from a safe distance.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  08:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Erin,

Wow, I'd love to have a bobcat roaming my place! I know that sounds strange, but I think bobcats and lynx are the prettiest of the North American cats. I wouldn't want a cougar....they are just too big. We too plan on having donkeys. A jenny foal, as I'm sure you have read has already been purchased. Since you have a friend that rescues donkeys, maybe you can put me in touch with her. I want another jenny as equines get need companions. I'd also would like her to know I may need to breed a jenny later since we will be purchasing more land and would need to have additional guard animals. I wouldn't breed the jenny for any other reason but to keep the resulting foal. I'm not the type to breed an animal irresponsibly, especially a horse or donkey. I cannot stand individuals who do that to horses or donkeys.

Thought you might enjoy the links I found on bobcats and donkeys as guard animals.

Kim

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/springfield/bobcat.html

http://www.sheepscreek.com/rural/pred.html

http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/Chapters/pdf/4ewdcwalton.pdf#search=%22donkey%20protection%20bobcat%22

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Let me get the number for the folks with the donkeys and let you know. I know that they have some younger ones for sale... Not sure if they have any for free adoption at this time...

My Homesteading Journal

My craft journal
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  12:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Erin, I won't be ready for another donkey until our new girl comes home sometime between late December to the first of April....

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  8:33:48 PM  Show Profile
hi erin .. that is great that you got to speak with 'real people'. i know that sometimes realtors don't like for buyers and sellers to talk to each other (at least that is how it was with one of the realtors we had) ... and i guess there are some good reasons ... but two of the owners we did meet have become best friends of mine. i think i cherished the homes all the more for it.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Donkees and dogs usually don't get along, but I don't think that donkee is any match against that bobcat. They can do major damage. We have our share of fox, coyote, hawks, owls, possom, skunk & weasels. We have 3 farm collies and do their share, but I wouldn't want any of them up against a bobcat. Definite SSS situation (sorry you bobcat lovers - I like people too, but if they are killing my children .....)

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Exciting Updates on My NEW LAND!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page