Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone read this book?
I just finished reading it. Very interesting.
"...scientists know her as HeLa."
When she died in 1951 from cancer, her cells were taken without her or her families knowledge. Those cells "became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping..."

Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  08:02:43 AM  Show Profile
I watched a documentry regarding her, and they tracked down her grand/greatgrand children to see if they were the same as her...yes I agree, very interesting

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  07:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a very interesting book! Another one hits the list...lol.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  06:56:49 AM  Show Profile
I've read this book and really enjoyed it!

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  08:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lindsay:
I found it truly sad that Mrs. Lacks family was never really compensated. Her HeLa cells have helped many people!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile
I am one thesis away from my masters in health education and I've done a fair amount of research on Henrietta Lacks and her family. One of the most upsetting stories regarding her family is that when one of Henrietta's adult sons was at Johns Hopkins undergoing surgery he relates that the last thing he remembered was the anesthesiologist telling him as he went "under" that his mother had made the most significant gift in the history of medical science, only to find out when he awoke that he owed the hospital $150,000 because he had no insurance. No, I don't think the family was compensated at all. Do you know that Henrietta still has an unmarked grace cause no one in her family could afford a tombstone? The Immortal Life of Henrietta lacks is a facinating book!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile
I have this book, very anxious to start it!!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  5:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Connie:
Yes, I was aware of the son and his hospital bill. What a shame! It was a facinating book, I agree.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

rnpsmom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Becka
OH
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  12:50:19 PM  Show Profile
This was a truly amazing book, in a sad way. The treatment of the family was a real travesty.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page