Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  3:30:33 PM  Show Profile
As I watch the nightly news and see all the unemployment------I can only remind myself to remember to read the labels and buy made in America. If that can help our economy in any way I am going to refrain from buying foreign made products.....hope you all will join in......think it can help???? Let me know your opinions on this.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  4:13:14 PM  Show Profile
And local. The problem is almost all the jobs have already went over seas, and most things are already made overseas, and almost all customer service ect all hires over seas. I'm not sure how companies are expecting people here to keep having money to buy their merchandise when all the jobs are leaving?

I buy local and american as much as possible, not for political reasons, but self preservation, I want my husband/children to be able to have jobs so we can buy the things we need to live. Supporting the local business, supports that my husband/children may have a job at those businesses, or other businesses in the area, etc.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  4:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Keep your eyes even on the groceries we use. I bought cookies a while back that were "Made in China." Tossed them asap.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  4:36:38 PM  Show Profile
I know in Massachusetts they are encouraging people to shop in the main street small stores instead of the malls the Saturday after Thanksgiving......I think I will give that a try.
When my grand daughter had a celebration for her half birthday-----we did a big splurge and bought her an American Girl doll----made in China.
I just am really going to do my best to buy American as much as possible....even if it means forgoing buying certain things.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  4:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I am definetely NOT buying any food made in China. If I buy orange juice it is from Florida. You really have to look at the labels on everything anymore. If I need veggies or fruits, I go to the local farmer's markets if I have not grown them myself. Which I do. But sometimes I might not have a certain thing yet or did not grow a certain thing. I raise all my meat so I know where that comes from. Or if I don't have it there are slaughterhouse-meat markets that raise their own meats. We really have alot of organic local farmers here. And if I cannot make it, I will try as much as possible to buy it locally. There is a guy up the road from me that makes the most beautiful rustic furniture I have ever seen. And I know that the things he makes will be around long after we are gone.

That's the thing that makes me so mad anymore. Things are not made to last. They are cheaply made and priced cheaply so if and when they break down, we can just go buy another one. A friend bought me a small chest freezer back in April after the tornadoes. Well, just a few weeks ago, it quit working. I had to fight them to bring me another one. And they did. The guys who brought it out said they have to go back and get at least half of the freezers they delivers because they quit working. Nothing is made to last anymore. It's really sad, but there is no pride in the things that are factory made.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  4:54:35 PM  Show Profile
oops...I think I erred....I think now its a lady senator from Louisiana who is encouraging everyone in the states to shop locally the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  5:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Just saw this on facebook--remember that the boxes and wrapping paper is made in China. And people at wal-mart was just packing it in their baskets. Their is some made is USA but you have to look. Some gift tags I looked at were also made in China. So this year I am making cloths bags, and my on paper tags. Happy Fall Holidays to all farmgirls. Linda Farmgirl #946
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  6:34:21 PM  Show Profile
yeah we buy a lot from the local amish people here as well. Also our furniture we buy from a guy up the road, he makes it and it is built to last! And what's more he's cheaper then the furniture store and we get exactly what we want. We love him and he takes payments. He's made most of all our furniture. It's great stuff! I am having him make me a dresser next, he's made my parents dressers, and pretty much all the furniture in the house.

And I know what you mean about freezers. We have had 4 refrigerators in our 11 year marriage. My parents had a used fridge my whole childhood, the same one! When I went to buy our first fridge I looked long and hard cause I figured we would have it at least 20 years, I had no idea they only last like 2 or 3 years 4 tops now!

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  7:28:23 PM  Show Profile
We HAVE to shop American. My little grand niece just turned 6 months and I'm worried about her and all of the young people and children's futures. I have been very upset about many products, because even if the product "says" its made in America, where are all of it's various parts or components made? I'm trying to run down where things come from that I use all the time. All of the ingredients, where do THEY come from? I'm trying to make as many of my own things as possible, but it just makes me ill seeing everything made in China, Taiwan, Philippines, Mexico...you name it! I do not hold this against the people of these places, but we need our jobs back!

I've started to see products that have the American flag "made in America" symbol, but the small print says assembled or blended in America...so you know that its made from things from all over. So read everything!

My sister in north Seattle and myself here in Moscow are trying to get the word out to shop local and handmade as much as possible! America is full of artistic, creative and hard working people, who need to be supported by people buying their products. Shop American, Shop local! Support America from the community up!

=) have a good night!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  7:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you kristin. My sister bought a Canon camera to give it to my mom's birthday gift. She bought it 2 months ago and never tested it until that day to surprise my mom. The camera has a defect already. I told her to return it. My convection oven only last 3 1/2 years and it is broken already. Even my husband's gadget doesn't last long...so with TV and etc. I remember in the 70s-80s it last at least 10 years and it won't break. I remember the Made in Japan electronic last longer than Made in China. Now it only last 2-3 years. People love disposable.

What is truly sad is that people are so use to convenience and the most up to date gadgets they willing to paid that amount and they don't care after 1 year.

I told my husband forget buying stuff nothing last longer. Clothes are shorter, shrink faster & the quality are poor. Just one wash and say good-bye to it. It is quite hard to find things that Made in USA. It is a shame though we definitely need job here.

We should bring back the manufacturer companies for clothing, toys, automobile, electronic, textile mills, and etc. But companies don't want to paid. They want to earn the profits. Who suffer...we do.

You should see how many businesses & houses have "sale" or out of business here at NJ.

blog: http://nj-nyc-3inna.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  8:03:40 PM  Show Profile
oh and I forgot to mention that when my husband and I were first married, I had him take me to a very well known furniture store, every thing was particle board and thousands of dollars. I asked a salesman if they had anything that was solid wood, he said oh that's illegal in the USA. You would have to go to south america or something. I knew he was a liar! But, what stupidity, like I was going to pay thousands of dollars for card board?

We get our solid wood custom built from a man down the road and nothing so far has even came near a thousand, let alone thousands. It's usually only a few hundred, and custom built exactly what we want! And should be so solid we should be able to hand it down to our children and grandchildren and so on. I have a dresser my mom bought that is 100 years old solid wood, it's great. I did have to re-glue the tongue and groove fronts back on to the drawers a few years ago. BUT, I've had this dresser since I was a little girl, and she bought it from a antique estate sale OLD when I was little. The glue I think rotted away-probably took about 100 years for it to rot. BUT, the wood is still in excellent shape, and all it needed was a little wood glue back in the tongue and groove parts to put it back together, and it's good as new. Or should I say BETTER then what you can get new today! But, I had the man built my husband and I our bed frame (head/foot boards) and so I think I want a dresser to match it, so I am going to have him build that for us next, and I'm going to pass my old dresser to my DD. It's so sturdy and in such great shape, I bet in 20-30 years she will be able to pass it on down to her children too! I've had it over 30 years myself, and like I said it was old when my mom bought it for me. So says a lot about it's sturdiness. UHG, particle board would be saggy, droopy and falling completely in shreds apart by now!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Nov 07 2011 8:08:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  04:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi all -

I hope this isn't considered "controversial", but I received the following in an e-mail from my cousin this AM. I think some of the suggestions are good:

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine
concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse ......that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands.
Yes there is!
It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?
Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?
Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.
Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.
Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.
There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.
How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?
Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.
My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.
OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.
Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.
Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.
Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.
You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.
THIS is the new American Christmas. Spread the Christmas cheer!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Again - I hope no one takes offense to this information - it is only intended to present some alternate suggestions to our Christmas giving this year.

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  04:18:57 AM  Show Profile
loved it ..........thank you so much.

Beverly Gill

Go to Top of Page

judster51
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

judith
Montour Falls NY
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  04:29:47 AM  Show Profile
So true Luanne. Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  05:12:17 AM  Show Profile
You are sooooooo right Luanne!

Good-bye Walmart!
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Great addition to this very good discussion Luanne. I think this is a great time of year for this discussion as well. Although I try to buy local and help my community I am sure I can de better. Thank ladies for all these thoughts.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  06:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Luanne! You opened my eyes wider to a different way of buying. Thanks!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain

Edited by - ClaireSky on Nov 08 2011 06:08:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  06:31:46 AM  Show Profile
Luanne, I agree completely. These are some excellent ideas.

Karin
Farmgirl #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:09:21 AM  Show Profile
Faribault Woolen Mills in Faribault, MN was shut down. The equipment was recently on the verge of being purchased by another country. Two local brothers stepped in and purchased the company. They are back in business ! They hired former employees to help them start up the company (due to their lack of knowledge in the textile industry) and continue to hire former employees. Yay! I have high hopes! Definitely have Faribault blankets on my Christmas list! We buy American wherever we can!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Judith -

That's great news! Do they sell on-line? I've never heard of them, but would be willing to take a look at what they have.

Thanks!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Yes they do sell on-line. Just google Faribo blankets or Faribault blankets. Remember the woolen striped trader blankets? And the plaid picnic and car throws? Those are the ones. Enjoy! I'm from Iowa, and we always stopped at the mill store on our way up to Minneapolis during Christmas season to pick up blankets for the kids.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Google Pendleton Woolen Mills. They also make lovely woolen blankets in the Western style.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  08:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to toss this out--I order often from Plow & Hearth, where the customer service is based here, in the US, and they do support USA made products, though not all are made in the US that they sell. I commend them for doing their best...Last year, I bought a gorgeous crock for my mother and father in law's porch, embossed with their address. The crock to 6 weeks to make in New Hampshire, but it was well worth the wait--not overly expensive, and my inlaws love it--she puts plants in it each season and I was proud to give a handmade item from a crafter in New England.

Etsy is my go-to choice this year for gifts, as is local artisan craft shows or making it myself. Over the weekend, I hit a craft show that benefits the Womens Crisis center with very high end artists--got a bit of shopping done there!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

cottagefarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Cathy
Marion NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile
American companies are outsourcing to other countries. If we are to truly buy American, our companies need to stop doing that. I know textile mill owners who owned mills here, but closed them and sent them to Costa Rica and then Honduras(when they reinstated taxes in Costa Rica.) I understand why owners outsource. I do not understand why we continue to throw money at China when we have repeatedly seen that they do not care to coat our children's toys with lead and now, according to a MJF article, are using cadmium to children's jewelry. This Christmas, I am going to hand make many of the gifts I am giving. It becomes much harder to shop American when you have children. I am pretty careful about the toys I buy because of the fact that I have about $400 worth of Thomas trains that were recalled several years ago due to lead paint being used. I should have wondered why the caboose stay loking so nice sine it was one of the first my son received.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile
just found a website still made in usa.com that gives you lists of things made in the USA-----good site.

Beverly Gill

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:57:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it's controversial to only want to buy what's made in the country you live in. I can't believe some people have become apologetic for wanting to support their home country. Who do all those other countries always want to dress like and be like? The U.S. In stricter countries they are always getting in trouble for wanting to copy Western culture. Now there is 2 products that I have to buy foreign. Coffee and Chocolate. Coffee beans just won't grow here. I'm buying organic fair trade coffee. I refuse to buy chocolate from Hershey's, Dove, etc. They allow GMO's in their chocolate and don't fair trade. They aren't even allowed to sell the stuff we have in our stores in Europe. They banned it. So I buy organic, fair trade chocolate.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Buy American Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page