Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  8:37:28 PM  Show Profile
That was me shaking. Oh my. You people in California are crazy!!! I don't ever want to go through that again. Fortunately, we don't have any damage, but friends do and some people had major damage. Good grief. This is Oklahoma. Aren't tornadoes, fires, drought, bizzards and ice storms enough????!!!

I wrote about the experience at the blog with pictures. Hope you get a good chuckle. And you Californians, it's alllll tongue in cheek! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  8:52:11 PM  Show Profile
I saw that on the news! What craziness. I did most of my growing up years in Alaska and we had so many earthquakes, but no matter how many we experienced they still shook us up.

I'm glad to hear that you're all right. We don't get too much of anything major where I live, but we're kind of overdue in the earthquake department.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  05:10:21 AM  Show Profile
WOW! I couldn't believe it when we heard about the quake on the news! So glad to hear you are in one piece. I guess you just have to chalk that one up as another of life's experiences Mary Beth.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  06:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies. I feel so badly for the people in Meeker, Shawnee, Prague, etc. Most didn't have insurance - we do (got it about a year ago) - and so they are stuck with the huge bill of having to repair the damage all on their own. It certainly wasn't something this state is used to!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  06:41:12 AM  Show Profile
That was really something! They've been predicting a big one here in Missouri for awhile. Sure hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  06:42:44 AM  Show Profile
I've been wondering about you..so glad you are ok. I wouldn't want to go through a quake. It must really quake your emotions too.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  06:56:36 AM  Show Profile
so glad you are ok. they are very scary. the sound is what surprised me. we had them in calif. here we are concerned with volcanoes. happy you are ok sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I was visiting family in Grand Prairie and we were wtaching TV and my grandnephew said "Did you fell there, we just had an earthquake"
Everyone else in the romm said no, but some of the lamp shadews were swaying and none of the ceiling fans were on. Of course, in just minuetes he was getting text messages from friends all over Texas and Oklahoma comfirming it. I am 59 and it was my first one

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  09:14:08 AM  Show Profile
We could feel and hear it here in Coffeyville, Ks. I had just turned off the tv and was headed to bed. I did not feel anything but the china cabinet was rattleing. It was like the washer was spinning and was a little off balance. And at the same rythum . About that time my daughter in law called me and she said her dog jumped off the couch and started running around just before she felt the tremor. It was still going on during our phone conversation. Now she thinks she needs to move BACK to CA.

A girlfriend of mine is thinking end of the world stuff. I reminded her that when God created the earth in 6 days, he only rested on the 7th day. He didn't say he was done!

Belle
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Earthquakes, wildfires, drought, mudslides, etc, we have them all here in California. I am from Missouri, and most of my family is still living there, so I have been thru blizzards, ice storms and of course tornados. Mother nature can be a fickle women...the largest earthquake in the US history was on the New Madrid fault line, in the late 1800's there were 2 huge quakes, an 8.0 and a 8.2, they caused the Mississippi river to run backwards for 2 weeks, if that fault ever lets loose like that again, well all I can say is "God help us", with todays population in that area, and most, if not all buildings not being earthquake safe at all. My parents live in Springfield, and it woke them up Saturday evening...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:34:09 PM  Show Profile
I have relatives in OKC and they said it was some banging going on!! They aren't used to be shaken up. Didn't know what was happening.

All I have to worry about is forest fires and the Juan De Fuca (sp?) fault line....

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  6:19:50 PM  Show Profile
The "San Andreas" fault line runs past my place about 3 miles south of me, as the crow flys, and its that nasty one that causes major damage when she is PMSing...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  7:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I heard about that from my cousins! I can't believe it!

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775
http://honeybrookefarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  8:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, ladies, I just had to sit down and laugh - I don't think I was hysterical :-) - but it was pouring down rain, we are under a tornado watch and 3 touched down this afternoon several counties south of us, I was laying decorative tile on a heat shield behind our new wood stove and my hubby was helping. All of a sudden, we heard rumbling and we both got under the dining room table. Shook and shook. It wasn't an aftershock but another earthquake. Sheesh. We don't know whether to go underground for tornadoes or under tables for quakes!!! There is something wrong with this picture!!!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:24:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm giggling over here as I'm a 3rd generation native Californian and the best thing I like about quakes is once they've started,it's over. No tracking like hurricanes. No sirens and tracking like tornadoes. Tornadoes scare the daylights out of me-in all honesty,I've wondered about people living in tornado prone areas. Now I see you kids out there wonder about us in Californ-io just as much . I love it! I've been shaken awake many times by quakes. things get relocated,and it shakes the dust off the shelves,which I find most helpful. I don't like the sound of em however. All kidding aside,I lived in N Hollywood in an upstairs apt when Northridge hit-scared the living daylights outta me. First time a quake ever scared me. After it stopped,my apt rocked like a boat for several min. Slow,but you could feel the building keep swaying. During the quake,it was so strong I couldn't get out of the bed to safety & I swore either the ceiling fan was gonna crash on me or I was going into the neighbors apt downstairs the express way. Somehow I knew I wouldn't die or anything but was really anticipating the floor giving out.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  1:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Glad you are okay. We felt one back in late September. Blizzards, rainstorms, and ice are enough for me, too. Thought I was safe from earthquakes. When we felt ours, I was outside playing frisbee with my daughter. I didn't know what it was, we assumed it was a big airplane going by. Glad I didn't know what it was, probably would have gone a bit nuts, lol. My pictures were all askew. What's going on with the world these days??

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:04:00 PM  Show Profile
You know, earthquakes in places that are *used* to having them, like CA, are much different than the freak quakes in other areas. Many buildings are not made for quakes, and that makes it very frightening when the ground decides to move! I'm glad you are okay :)

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Natalie, you got THAT right!! We're built for tornadoes (tornado straps and shelters) but none of that is worth lick in an earthquake.

Sherrie, I got a giggle out of your post. You're darned tootin' that us Okies are saying, "Who would live in California?? I'll take a tornado any day!!" :-) The way we look at it, except for once every blue moon, tornadoes are usually small and pick and choose a house here and a house there. And usually the damage is not total. AND we have sirens that go off so that we know to go to the cellar (usually have about 20-30 mins warning) so that if there is any loss, it is financial and not human. Now we DO have our monsters occassionally, but even those can be without casualties because we have places to go. But man, an earthquake is all of a sudden with no warning and you can't stand up to get anywhere.

We just discovered that the earthquake messed up our septic lines. It literally lifted them up so that everything was flowing backwards - into the house. Sigh. So my dear hubby had to go out and dig to China all over the yard to put them back down again. Looks like a huge gopher had his way with my lawn.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! Digging a septic drain field is not fun. DH had to do that for our friend... I hope you have a tractor? Makes things a LOT easier...

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:46:40 PM  Show Profile
I will tell you all, we do NOT get used to earthquakes, ever...and since I'm from Missouri, we don't get used to tornados either...I don't care how much warning you get, still damn scary, and I would not ever wish any disaster on anyone...cause someday, mother nature will coma a calling, no matter where you live...and you can only be so prepared...stay safe all of you...My late husbands older brother died in the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, along with many other people,,,

Edited by - oldbittyhen on Nov 15 2011 2:49:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Er-er-er-th-th-th Quake Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page