Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Washing Machine Suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Washing Machine Suggestions? Next Topic  

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  3:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Yipee!! I have bonus money to get a new washing machine!!

What kind of a washing machine would you purchase?
Does anyone have a frontloader? Do you like it, has it had to have any service calls?

Now to decide which model???????

I have been using this as a reference: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._products_html

I have checked on what is available in my area: Whirlpool Duet Sport, Staber, Maytag MAH2400, Fisher&Paykel EcoSmart

Does anyone have any of these models????

There are only 2 in my family and I want a water/energy efficient model. I am also concerned with the $ of Service if needed

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  3:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I have a pair of Whirpool Duets. Love them!!! I am a way back Maytag user and was not quite sure on this front load washer but I LOVE Them!!!! easy to use, less water and I swear my clothes are cleaner and my whites are whiter. One thing that I don't like but I'm sure this would be the case with any new washer or dryer you do not have as many options as with the older ones. I can't change some features without using a manual cycle but the manual cycle doesn't fit my need for that load.The machine does have more feature cycles then my old maytag. This machine also sets you load level for you so no guessinganymore. I use about 1/8-1/4 cup of soap. Which is at least 1/2 less then I did before. I would buy the Deuts again.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  4:46:38 PM  Show Profile
I would never buy anything but a good quality front loader My mother has always had front loaders. Going clear back to the 1950's They use less soap and less water. Easier on the septic system too. They are easier to repair since they have fewer moving parts. And best of all you can even put silk in them. Since they tumble there is no stress on fabric. My first was a White Westinghouse (had it 18 years) but they are out of business. My new (5 year old) is a GE, they bought out part of White Westinghouse. The only down sides are the new higher prices (they use to be half the price of a top loader) and having to get down to unload but its worth the effort for all the savings.
Hope this helps.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  4:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Bridge, there is another recent post on this issue from _Rebecca_ -- there were lots of good recommendations in that thread. I have a MayTag Neptune set, love the front loader.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE my Fisher Paykel www.fisherpaykel.com It has been wonderful.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  1:22:36 PM  Show Profile
I was also a long time front load user-Westinghouse--like somebody else mentioned. Then when I couldn't get one I had a Maytag top loader for several years. It was OK but confirmed front loader users hate to change to top loaders. They just don't get your clothes as clean and use more water and soap, etc. Any way.....got to buy a new set in July. I also bought a GE, the biggest and most heavy duty one they sell. I love, love, love it! Yes, more expensive but worth every cent. Actually they were on sale so we paid $1499 for the set. My DD bought Whirlpool Duets last year and really likes hers too.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  05:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Mary,
Having to get down to unload the washer....
What about building a riser platform to the washer and dryer
I know the ones you can get with the washers are expensive but I think a platform could easily be built to ease the bending over.
just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  07:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Bridgette,
I have the front loading Kenmore, advertised on TV. Mine are the blue ones, shortly after my sister got the white ones. WE love them!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Washing Machine Suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page