Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Baking bread the old fashioned way?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking bread the old fashioned way? Next Topic  

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  5:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Anyone out there make bread the old fashioned way, and I don't mean with a bread machine? I have had 2 bread machines and don't like them. I was going to try to do bread again (used to make it all the time). I am thinking of investing in a big mixer (gave mine away) with bread hooks, but I know before I never used them. Seems that all the recipes make 2 loaves and since there aren't preservatives you have to eat the bread the same day or next day or it goes stale. Another consideration. Just asking for anyone's thoughts on if it's worth it or not.

Hug a horse or a dog today!

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Go for it Rose! I still bake my bread without a bread machine. I do use a food processor now to mix the ingredients but only because I have a bum wrist. I much prefer mixing and kneading the dough by hand in my grandma's huge old bread pan. The recipe I use makes two loaves but I often double or triple it and make several loaves to keep in the freezer. So much better than store bought bread! It's definitely worth it!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  6:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I make bread both ways! When I make the 2 loaves generally the first one gets eaten hot from the oven by my husband & myself-heehee! Keep trying until you find a recipe that you like! Then it is worth it!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  8:45:16 PM  Show Profile
does someone have a good recipe they can share? My hubby & I were just talking about wanting to make bread earlier today, but we don't want to do it in a breadmaker either. Ready for some good bread this winter!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  9:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Does the bread end up a little wet while defrosting it? We had that happen before and gave up on freezing bread since it most always got thrown away or fed to the birds. What does anyone else do to have successfully frozen and thawed bread that still tastes great?

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  10:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I have a very easy and great recipe for an artisan loaf(round) and it only makes one loaf...I use my kitchen aid mixer to do the mixing...and some of the kneading...but finish it by hand...if you would like it I will be happy to share

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  10:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Beth I will try to look up my moms recipie and post here tomorrow. We just had a 5.6 earthquake and I am going to bed and hide under the covers!:) I dont own a bread machine. The recipie is good and brings back memories of us sneaking a pinch of the dough set to rise and trying to figure out how she knew we did it:)
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:28:08 AM  Show Profile
I have recently been baking "simple whole wheat bread" fro all recipes.com. It is a honey wheat bread that tastes really good. I keep hiding flax and other good things my family won't notice. There are some recommendations from other people I have also found. One woman has slowly added more and more whole wheat flour which I too am trying. The recipe actually makes three loaves but another tip giver said after the first rise and punch down she separates into three loaves. One she let's rise again and bakes but the others she freezes, wrapped well. The recommendation was to thaw dough in your fridge for 24 hours then let rise in warm temp then bake. I haven't tried it as my family generally doesn't complain if I just freeze a loaf that is already done. It would be nice to have a fresh loaf that you don't even get pans dirty just pop it in the oven and yummy.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  08:35:27 AM  Show Profile
One of the recipes I use often is the Classic Wheat Bread from King Arthur's Flour. I have adapted it to work in my cuisinart food processor. Here is the modified recipe - a pic that is hard to read. Email me if you want a copy of the PDF that is easier to read:

As far as freezing and defrosting goes, I have never had moisture issues. I let the bread cool to room temperature on a rack. When cool I put each loaf in a plastic bread bag with a clip tie and freeze them the same day they are baked. To defrost I just set the bag on the counter and let it warm up. Sometimes there will be a little bit of condensation in the bag but not enough to cause any bother.

Good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Nov 06 2011 08:39:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile
I make ours the old fashioned way, too. Our favorite recipe (mixture of mostly white whole wheat with some all purpose flour) I use a homemade dough enhancer so it rises great (this also keeps it from getting stale so quickly). I make two loaves at a time and when cooled, we slice both loaves. One goes in the freezer wrapped in a plastic bag and then into a "tupperware" bread container. When ready to thaw it, I remove it from the plastic bag and just put in the container. It lasts great, doesn't taste stale and doesn't get wet as Judy mentioned. If anyone wants the recipe for the bread or the enhancer, just holler.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  10:18:48 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe for basic bread with instructions on my blog. http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/2011/10/making-simple-bread.html I usually make a large loaf but it can be divided into two loaf pans as well. This bread freezes well. I have even frozen the dough already to put in a loaf pan with success.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sondrak
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Sondra
Colorado Springs CO
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Yum yum, you all have made me hungry for some old fashioned bread.

Lea, an earthquake in Arkansas....wow. I hope it didn't mess up anything.

I had some yeast bread starter a few years back that had to be kept in the fridge and fed. The recipe had been really simple. Unfortunately, I got busy and managed to kill it. I lost contact with the lady I got the starter from, so I'm looking for a source of new "starter." Any ideas?

You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

Alanna Neupert
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Alanna
cabot PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  12:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Sold my bread machine at a yard sale yrs.ago. I usually make 2 loaves at a time , one for sandwitches or a raisin loaf or cinnamon bread . I only have one cubboard in my little kitchen so I don't want it cluttered with a bread machine!
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  12:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I would love the recipe for the enhancer. Never heard of such a thing. My success with yeast has been hit or miss. Tried the regular rise and the quick rise but have had both success and failures with both.

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  2:45:01 PM  Show Profile
It's definetely worth it for me. I grind my grain and make whole wheat. But sometimes I want a good crunchy loaf of old timey white bread. I bought a magazine with all kinds of good recipes for all kinds of breads. The easiest one I am making now. It starts the day before. I just turned it on on a cutting board for 1 1/2 hours then I'll put a cast iron Dutch oven in the very hot oven for 30 minutes. I made the cranberry walnut bread a few weeks ago. This one is just plain. I can't wait to eat some already.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Beth this bakes at 400 degrees or till a light brown. In large bowl dissolve 4 packs yeast in 41/2 cups warm water. Add 2 tablespoons salt,6 tablespoons sugar,and 6 tablespoons melted shortening. Add flour 1 cup at a time.(13 cups)Place towel over bowl put in a draft free area and rise 1 hour. Remove,kneed several minutes. Make into loaves or buns. Cover rise 45 minutes. Bake in greased pan. Remove and butter. Makes 18 large buns or 3-4 loaves. Enjoy! Sondra no damage just gave us all something to talk about. I am close to Ok. and some had sheet rock crack and pics fall off wall. My lamps shook.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  4:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Rose: Here's the recipe for the dough enhancer. You'll still need to use yeast. This enhancer really helps with mostly or all whole wheat. My whole wheat bread was always heavy and didn't rise like white bread. This happened whether I used tradition whole wheat or white whole wheat. Now that I use this, it rises up really nicely and has a good texture and seems to stay fresh longer - no matter which recipe I use. Use 3 tablespoons for each loaf. This recipe makes alot of enhancer. Keep it in your refrigerator. Also, I found all the ingredients at the grocery store. Lecithin and ascorbic acid were in the vitamins/supplements section. Vital wheat gluten and unflavored gelatin in the baking section. Pectin in the canning section.

1 cup wheat gluten
2 tablespoons lecithin granuels
1 teaspoon ascorbic acid crystals (or vitamin c)
2 tablespoons powdered pectin
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon powdered ginger

Mix all together and store in refrigerator. Use 3 tablespoons per loaf.

It really makes a difference in your bread.

Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  5:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Smiley, thanks for the recipe. I told my husband last night that I had some bread tips & recipes coming. I can't wait to try it! Yum!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  9:51:02 PM  Show Profile
I just tried SheepMom2's (Sheri) bread recipe tonight for dinner and it got wow reviews from everyone including me for the ease of making it. My DD (oldest of three) wants to make some this weekend so she can learn how. This was sooo much better than breadmaker bread that I can't even compare it.

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  11:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Rustic Bread
2 cups bread flour, 2 1/4 whole wheat flour 1 envelope instant or rapid rise yeast 2 tsp. salt 1 3/4 cups warm water, 2 tablespoon honey,
Mix the glour and 2 cups wheat flour, yeat and salt togethr. add water, honey until dough comes together. cover let sit for 15 min to rest. then after 15 min mix until smooth and elastic if need add more flour, up to 1/4 cup of left over whole wheat flour. the pour onto a flour board and knead to form smooth round ball. place in lightly oiled bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. let rise until doubled. then turn out on board and gently dimple with fingertips, pullup edges of dough to center, roll dough with folded side down and round it with cupped hands to form tight ball. place on sheet of parchment paper and cover loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. let rise until nearly doubled and springs back slowly when indented with finger. place on baking stone or cookie sheet on lowest rack in 500 degree oven. right before baking score top with knife in X. spray with water bake until spotty golden about 15 min. spraying the loaf with water every minute for the first 3 minutes. reduce oven to 400 and contnue to bake until brown and when thumped sounds hollow. about 25 min. transfer to wire rack. this is a great bread and has no fat in it...one of my favorites...it is really easier than it may sound...lol

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  06:16:54 AM  Show Profile
I always made bread by hand. I just love the feeling of it. And my family loves eating it. Since being diagnosed Gluten intolerant I haven't made much bread. It's just not the same. I loved the whole process. Now I only make it once in awhile. Too bad for my family. :( If you go to Chickens in the Road --- www.suzannemcminn.com she has a recipe for Grandmother bread. It is the best I have ever made. It will make two loaves. Plus she has recipes to make cinnamon bread & cinnamon rolls using the same bread recipe.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  08:13:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad that you tried the recipe with success, Judy. That is my standard "we are having spaghetti for dinner and need bread recipe". I have been making this bread for more than 30 years.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  11:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I always make my bread. Just made some hamburger buns and cinnamon roles Monday. My family just loves the bread and it's so easy. I like to mix and knead with my hands. But sometimes I use my Kitchenaid mixer. If anyone wants to try my recipe. 1 pkg. yeast, 2 cups warm water, 1TBSP canola oil, 1tsp. salt, 2 eggs slightly beaten, 1TBSP sugar, 3 cups bread flour, 3 cups wheat or white or rye. Let yeast rest in warm water in large bowl for 5 minutes. Stir in the oil, salt sugar and eggs. Add flour 3 cups at a time. Knead on flour board or bread pan. Put back into bowl and let rise until double in bulk. Shape let rise again and baste egg wash on and bake at 350 til golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  6:47:29 PM  Show Profile
I use the dough setting on my breadmaker. It mixes, kneads, and does the first rise for me. I then take it out, put it in a loaf pan, rise again and bake in the oven. It tastes like you did it the old fashioned way. I have whole wheat, basic dough, cinnamon bread, and many others. E-mail me for anything you might want the recipe for.
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  3:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
I always make my bread by hand and over the years have used lots of different flours and grains, and methods. When my girls were young I would make 4-6 loaves at a time, none ever had time to spoil. Nowadays it's just DH and me so 2 loaves are plenty. One goes into the oven, the other gets wrapped in plastic after the first rise and goes into the freezer. When it's time to bake again the frozen loaf is unwrapped and placed in a baking pan to defrost and rise for the second time, then baked. Always perfect.

{{{hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile
I was telling my mom that I wanted to be able to freeze bread (unbaked) but didn't know how, and it seems kind of pointless when all of the recipes are for one or two loaves anyways. She said she'd give me her recipe that she used to use when we were growing up that made a lot of loaves & I told her if she did that, then I was thiefing her bread pan as well! Haha. Now all I have to do is get it! Maybe at Christmas :).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking bread the old fashioned way? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page