Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Blizzard Can't Cover My Tears
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Blizzard Can't Cover My Tears Next Topic
Page: of 2

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  1:07:07 PM  Show Profile
It has been the terrible 19 hours for me and I hope you do not mind me sharing. For those who remember Bella - My very sweet goat born this year who was the subject of a naming contest here I have very sad news - this morning she passed away in my arms looking up at me with such love and kindness in her eyes - knowing I did all I could to save her once more...

This poor girl has been through so much in her short 8 months of life but also shared so much love and joy with me that even as the tears flow I give thanks that I had her in my life.

She was a twin to a very good mother who for some reason decided not to take care of them a week after their birth. So in the house they came and I loved and cared for them both until another one of my Mothers lost her baby and I thought why not give a try to see if Mother Goose would take them - Yep, as the trooper she is she loved and cared for them. Then a strange event happened with the other girl - she was jumping and playing as they always do - jumping on the back of their mother when she fell and smacked the barn wall and broke her neck. It took weeks to get Mother Goose and Bella back on track and stop mourning the loss and eat.... I almost lost Bella at that time because her tummy had issues from not wanting to eat.

On Halloween a stray dog came onto the farm and went after the goat girls and babies - my dogs took care of the problem but not until Bella and two of my bottle kids where scared out of their witts. I have been caring for their tummy problems - runs and such but at 10 pm Bella was really not doing well. So out in the thigh high snow I went, wrapped her up and brought her into the house. Spending every waking moment on the bathroom floor I tried everything my 15 years of animal care had taught me. Early this morning I made the decission to make the cut to her gut hoping to relieve the blot and pain. This is not something new to me and I hoped for the best.

I relieved the pain and she stopped crying... Bella sat in my lap for several hours with her eyes locked on mine. I quitely talked to her and I told her how much she has brought to my life. As she passed in peace my heart once again broke for the passing of one of my sweet one's.

I ask if you would to send a prayer our way today and another for the other two who are still dealing with a few tummy issues. We are not strangers to loss - it is part of what comes with raising hundreds of furry babies over 15 years and I always remind myself that the blessings are in the time I share with those who live here not in the counting of the days or the sarrow of the losses.

Thank you for letting me share - I know you all would understand.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  1:17:41 PM  Show Profile
Love and peace to you Grace and much sorrow to hear of Bella's passing. I want to say again that you are a blessed earth angel, giving so much love to everyone around you. I know that you are grieving and am sending a big farmgirl hug.

Thank you for being you

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  1:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so very sorry. I know how sad you must be right now. I'll never understand why these things happen. But they do. I know she was such a sweet little blessing to you in the time she was there. I will be praying for the others to egt well. You are the best person I know and I just hate this.

Sending you big hugs and good thoughts.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  1:39:20 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry...
You are in our prayers.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  1:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear Grace--I am sending you warm and loving thoughts from across the miles. I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for you--these little lives are so dear, so desperate at times, and so very delicate. I am thankful you were with her, and I know that now, she is free from pain, gamboling in the great fields of the heavens, watching over you, as you did for her. Please remember, you are their guardian and you always do the very best you can do. I am praying for the other dears to be well, and for you, dear Grace, that your heart will not be burdened this night.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  2:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, sending you love and light.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  2:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Prayers and (((HUGS))) sent your way!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog:http://suburbanprairiehomemaker.blogspot.com/

Avoid soil depravation and get your dirt on! Start a garden in your own backyard...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  3:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Ladies you are my blessings and my strength. I put on my snowshoes an hour ago and walked the out going packages down to the mail box and cried the whole way. The towering Pine trees gave me energy and peace as they stood covered in snow but not bending to the pressure and weight. The tiny birds flew past so fast gathering as much food as they can before the sun sets and the temp go very low. I went back to the barn to see how Mother Goose was doing - she was still looking all over the barn for Bella and then checked out every inch of me to make sure I was not keeping her under my coat... I sat with her and we looked into each others eyes and I again explained that her sweet Bella was gone but will be here always in our hearts. I have tried over the years to explain to those who do not raise animals that Yes, they grieve, Yes, they miss their children and Yes, I know that they understand how much I am broken with their passings. As I sat with Mother Goose she leaned in and licked the tears from my face. For those who do not know Mother Goose she is not one to let me touch her much but I think as two Mother's who feel so sad today - it was her way of letting me know that she knew I did all I could and I felt the loss just as much as she was and that was her way of supporting me.

Tonight will be another long night of checking the bottle girls - they got some formula with their med's in it. They also got a fresh bowl of soda and of coarse tons of snugs. I am trying not to worry about all the diarrhea on their fiber fluffy bottoms. It is too cold to wash that now so I just hope to stop it very soon.

Again, thank you ladies for your prayers, kind words and strength.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  3:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Grace you and our babies are in my thoughts and prayers. I will be sending love to you and your family. What a hard thing to go through,no matter how many years you have been doing it. The power of love will help you get through this.
Farm Girl Hugs!

Laura Marie #369
"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
I am so sorry for your loss. It seems you have been handed some really hard times lately. I am sending prayers and hugs your way. I am so thankful for all you do and I know your animals are thankful too. I was just thinking about you today. I was bored at work and went on your Etsy sight and put some yarns on my wish list. I got rave reviews on the shrug I made from your gorgeous yarn! I am waiting for my picture order from the photographer to e-mail you a copy. I feel blessed to know you.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile
My dear sweet hen..I am soo sorry about sweet Bella girl, I know she was so special to you....I will think of you often & hope as the days pass you will heal some & know that Bella had a wonderful loving life with you.
As for the diarrhea go get kaopectate (spelled)...we used it on our sheep & it helped so much when nothing else would....A 1/4 cup for the babies should help alot with what you are having to deal with....I know you have raised animals as long as I have but I hope this might help you ease some of it for you. tons & tons of hugs coming your way....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  6:59:46 PM  Show Profile
grace...i have been blessed by following your tales of bella and the others and i am saddened tonite to read your post. however; you are loved and respected and bella knew how much you cared for her. peace and hugs and , of course, prayers!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Michele you know me well - the kaopectate is what was given to the little one's and hope to see an improvement soon. I have used it for years for this issue and have had great results - the issue is you also do not wish to mask any problem until you know the cause. I also provide pedialite in their water - helps balance their electrolites...

Ladies I want to let you know how much your support and kinds words mean to me - it is sometimes very hard to be the only one here during such a time like this. When the boys lived here there was not only support but also someone to spell me when I needed a break or rest - now it is up to me and only me. I have always been someone who can handle anything life throws at me but I admit lately I feel beaten at times but your strength cares me thru - I am so blessed and feel loved. Many thanks

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  7:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I am so sorry to hear about Bella. This has been a really tough year for you I know and now this. You're in our prayers, prayers for comfort and strength.I'm in awe of all that you do by yourself.

Karin
Farmgirl #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  8:01:44 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
Your post amazed me. You sound like a wonderful "momma' and I am in awe of your knowledge. I am so sorry to hear of Bella's passing. May God comfort your heart and offer you strength to stay strong so that you can care for your other bottle babies. I can not even imagine what you must have gone through and I give you so much credit. You are a strong woman!
Blessings,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4261 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4261 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  04:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Grace I am so sorry for you and Bella. Glad your guard animals took care of the problem.
Peace to you
Michele
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  06:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Hugs and prayers, let yourself mourn. It hurts to lose a furkid, even when you know you did all you could do. Extra hugs to the ones still with and know in your heart there is a specail place for wonderful people like you when this life is over.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  06:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Aw, Grace - what a good and loving mama you are, bless your heart. That sweet little life knew love because of you - what a blessing. I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you. Hugs, Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  07:39:00 AM  Show Profile
i have just seen this i am so sorry for you grace so very sad. i think its harder when they are young. such a short moment here. i am hoping you are a little better today. so you have snow. we are forecast for some too. i am not looking forward to walking in it to do chores. sending you hugs and love and a prayer for you to have the power you need to keep on. wish i was closer to you. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  07:44:42 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would give you a update on the two bottle kids - Wyonna and Goldie... They received a couple of bottles (they have been off bottles for two months but love being back on it) with the med in it - so far the runs are still of issue but it has slowed down a bit. This morning I also had them take some warm water which relieves any cramping from the cold water in the barn. They are also loving the four hour checks, hugs and kisses... I admit they are spoiled but why not they started life in the worst of ways. I forgot to mention that the little bottle boy Maximillion who is just one cutie and is all fleece I mean ALL fleece was upset that he was not included in the bottles. He even nipped my hand at 2 this morning demanding a sip - Yes, I gave in a little but instead I brought out some roasted oatmeal this morning for him - Now he thinks he is King... Please if you would keep the girls in your thoughts and prayers - we are not out of the woods and today they are saying the temp will not get out of the teen's so that is never easy on any of us.

Again, I want to let you all know that your kind words, prayers and sisterhood gives me the energy to keep going - especially of late when the world seems to only value those knit wits who spend millions of a 72 day wedding or politicans who have nothing to offer us but more scandals and pocket lining. You all are the real people I focus on and pray for... Love you all!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  07:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Hugs to you!!! I also know how hard it is :*(.You are doing a great job!!!!!!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  08:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, prayers and warm thoughts being sent your way. You are a wonderful fur baby Momma...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile
for those of you who don't really know Grace, she is beyond wonderful...this woman is a one (wo)man bulldozer in life...she can do it all & still be a true farmgirl with a big heart...I have yet to personally met her but I have grown to love her thur out the time I have been a MJ hen & you know many here a super special well I just want you to know she is one of them also....
Grace to you roast your oats in the oven? or in a cast iron pan? I have been thinking of doing that for the kids as a treat since i saw you mention it.....one of my freezer doors came open so have some pumpkin out for the kids today that I will warm up with oats, flaxseed & wheat germ in a bit......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  12:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh My Gosh Michele I do not deserve your lovely words. I have found such inspiration for all of you and believe you me someday's I would not get up and stand if it was not for the kindness of the ladies here. I have lost so many friends over the years to illness, financial collapse or changes in their views about life but I still have some amazing friends here. Even when we have never laid eyes on each other or hearts and minds are connected and that gives me strength. I learn more from all of you then I every can share with others and so I thank you and my four legged furry family members thank you too...

Pumkin is a great source of minerals and vitamins for just about any animal - limit the seeds for small one's. The reason to toast seeds and oats is the fat becomes easily absorbed and will digest a tade quicker when the outside temps are low.

Blessings and Hugs from this tearful farm gal...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  12:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Well. I totally agree with Michele. I feel like I could come to you for anything. You have helped me many a time. So these poor kids were not physically attaked by this dog? I can't even imagine what they went through. I am still sending good thoughts and wishes for a fast recovery for them. You are doing such a good job.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Kris - I have learned tons from you and know I have much more to learn.

The problem was the neighbors horses where out in the middle of the night running all over my place and getting my dogs into a fit which kept me and the goats going all night. Then when I finally thought we had it under control with the neighbors finally rounding up their beasts then this stry dog come on. I thought at first the dogs where still grumping about the horses but instead this dog had cornered the girls and went after the smallest. The billies in the next pastures charged the fencelines and the llamas where screaming and I running and my dogs trying to jump the huge fences to get to it. Needless to say we all where shaken to the bone and none more then my bottle kids. This was the first time they have every experienced anything like this - even a few of my huge billies had a potty problem but short lived... He just needed to calm down but the little one's are much more delicate to this type of stress... Right now I am right there with them. My nerves seem for the past year to be raw and exposed.. Luckly I am still a comfort to my animals and that is what matters... Peace and calm are what I am working on - fear has gripped this farm and that is never a good thing.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Blizzard Can't Cover My Tears Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page