Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  5:00:17 PM  Show Profile
We adopted our dog Abby about 1 and 1/2 years ago from a shelter. Quite frankly, she was a mess. She was afraid of everyone, and had obviously been abused. If we came down the stairs, she would hide in her bed. If we raised a hand above waist level, she would cower. She was afraid of any hand held objects, like tools, tv remote, lunchbag, whatever.

Gradually, she got better. First she got comfortable with us, then friends and family who are regular visitors.

We've been trying to work on getting her to be better "socialized". Yesterday, we had two strangers over to do some work on the house. She actually went up to them wagging, and let them both pet her on the head. This is a HUGE step for her - usually she cowers away from strangers.

It just made me so happy to see her behaving like a well-adjusted dog!! Wanted to share it!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful!!!! Sometimes things just take time. Your dog is adjusting well with your guidence. Great!!!!

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Aren't rescue dogs great? I'm so glad she's adjusted to her new family and she feels so loved.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  5:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I will congradulate you and your family, for #1 adopting her, #2 for giving her the courage to come back #3 to not push her, and let her deceide when she was ready, and most importent: to be the kind and caring dog parents, that all dogs deserve...people like you, are "Hero's" in my heart...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  7:14:01 PM  Show Profile
My mom has an old dog that she found hanging around her rural house during a blizzard 10 years ago. She was pretty clearly abused and never relaxed enough to "play" until she had lived with them for 5 years. It's such a long process for an abused dog to recover. Sounds like Abby is doing amazing!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  3:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations your patience and love have begun to pay off. Our pound puppy, killed about 1 dozen cickens, 1 duck and 1 turkey over a period of 6 months. After many weeks of taking her to the hen house on a leash while I do chores, has begun to pay off, if the bird of interest does not go birdy nuts, squawking and flying off, LeaLou just smells them and pushes them with her nose and the walks off. She nows go with me without her leash and still needs correcting, but she is getting there and I am so glad I picked her that day, June 2009.

Congrats again on your baby, just keep on keepin' on and it will happen for you both.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  4:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer - that is SO great! I'm SO happy for you - and for precious Abby! It takes a very loving, understanding and patient person/family to help a dog in need of help like she was. She definitely is blessed to have you! Keep up the great work! And please give Abby a little hug for me! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  5:34:09 PM  Show Profile
That's great! Thanks for saving a dog.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! Good for you and Abby!

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  4:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, I am so happy that you adopted Abby and saved her from possibly being put to sleep. Most animal shelters are kill shelters. It just saddens me. So, Thank You for saving her.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So proud of my dog..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page