smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  3:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I have an easy recipie but what is the secret to knowing when a pecan pie is done? Its either runny or over cooked.

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7625 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7625 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  2:22:23 PM  Show Profile
I think it has to be cooked a certain amount of time and then it has to set after the cooking time. I don't know the times though.

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or in the life of another" Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Starbright
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Marie
Van Buren AR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Do you have an electric oven? I now have an electric oven, it came with the house as there is no gas hook-up, and there is a big difference in the way it cooks. I have a wonderful old recipe for a "Jeff Davis", or Chess, pie and neither it or my pecan pies turn out as good in this electric oven. Part of the secret to those pies is having the oven hot for about 15 minutes, then turning it down to a cooler temp. Electric ovens just don't work the same.

Starbright
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. I do have an electric oven. so if i preheat hotter than recipie calls for it should be ok,huh? Van Buren is not far from here. I am around Bentonville.
Go to Top of Page

Starbright
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Marie
Van Buren AR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  7:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lea! Both my Jeff Davis and pecan pie recipes call for the oven to be hot [400 I think] for the first 15 minutes, then you turn it down to 350 for the rest of the cooking time [I think another 30? I'll check if you need me to, I'm not at home right now] But that ole new electric oven just wouldn't cook the inside! I have 2 things that have helped. Perhaps the most helpful was to make the pies shallow :( Yep-when I divided the ingredients into 2 pie shells they came out ok. I ran into a couple of small antique granite-ware pie pans, so much smaller than the ones you buy now, at an antique mall [I LOVE granite ware!] The other thing I do is when I turn the oven down, I open the door and fan in cooler air, just a couple of dishtowel fluffs. Mine were turning out almost burned on top while never 'setting' in the middle. [Spending Halloween in Fayetteville with grandbabies tomorrow, lol]

Starbright
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pecan pie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page