alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  11:52:10 AM  Show Profile
So we closed on the house last week ladies! Stand up and cheer!

Sit back down.... My cold cellar was white, I thought it was paint, upon closer inspection it is mold. They took the air flow pipes out of the cold cellar and it is damp and moldy. Any tips or trick that you ladies can offer.

Em

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe

mandymarie20
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

7 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on closing on your home!

As to the mold, I've heard that you should wash the walls and dry thoroughly with fans, etc.; wash the walls in a water and bleach solution and dry well; after the walls are super dry, paint with a sealant primer paint like Kilz.

If you are venturing to take this on yourself, I would wear a mask or respirator with tons of ventilation. Or it might even be better to hire someone to handle it.

I have not done this myself, but my sister has on a portion of her basement and she seems to think this worked well.

I guess I would definitely get a dehumidifier going in the area for a start.

Best of luck on this huge undertaking
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo!! Congrats!!!! So exciting.

I think Mandy gave you some excellent advice. I'd be bleaching for sure. Wear breathing protection when you're working near it so you don't breath in anything possibly toxic. Scrub that stuff off. Make sure it's dry in there. Put the ventilation system back into function.

I have allergies and have to be really careful. When we got our place I couldn't be in it because it was making me sick. So I got this stuff from Zinsser. It's a shellac base interior & spot exterior primer sealer stain killer. It is an odor barrier as well. It WORKED. I also have air purifiers running to help my health but that sealer made it possible for me to move in. Maybe once you get it cleaned up and work on the moisture problem the sealant will protect the walls and keep you safe.

Good luck!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  1:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Because the house was vacant during the storms, there was a bit of mold in alot of places around the house. We simply wiped it all up with a borax/water solution and everything is fine and clean now, but this cold cellar has me a bit more nervous. I wanted to stay away from bleaching but it looks like I am going to have to do it. My dad bought me a respirator to wear and I have some full safety goggles. Looks like I just need the full haz-mat suit and I will be in business to start spraying.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  11:59:42 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Emily! As long as you are extra careful (safety glasses, respirator, gloves and ventilation, you should be okay. I'll be praying that this works. Trust me, I am well aware of NHBs (New House Bombs). Ours is actually two sharecropper houses that were moved and put together, then sided. Talk about problems!!!! But as farm girls, we can overcome even the most difficult challenge, as long as we head into battle prepared. Besides, think of the stories you can tell after the job is done!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
http://thefarmwife.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  08:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Oooops, I gave you bad advise. I just read something that said NOT to use bleach. According to this article you should use vinegar/water OR hydrogen peroxide OR borax. Hope you get it all cleaned up!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

sondrak
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Sondra
Colorado Springs CO
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Have you thought about calling the home inspector and asking him? I always sort of thought that was one of the BIG things that home inspectors were looking for.

You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  04:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Our home inspector was a joke, a really bad one at that. My realtor had him come in, he did a horrible job, HORRIBLE. Plus we were dealing with a bank owned home, and the bank just wanted the check and to run away.

But on the good news side of things, my kid's room is almost done. We put up border yesterday (totally farm style, cute stuffed animals, picket fence and a small basket of eggs) We now just have to finish the floor, stain the new wood to "Match" the existing wood and scape more of the glue that they used, put the carpet in and it will be ready for my kids to play in.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  06:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Congrats on your new home! Sorry to hear about your cellar issues. But, I would love to see pictures.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  6:13:02 PM  Show Profile
emily
you should get a pro in as mold can be very dangerous
to your health..